Do you use cash to tip bartenders?

decemberbride

or do they charge the gratuity to your onboard accont? What about tipping the servers in the specialty restaurants. Should we tip them, or does the $10 tip per person per day include them, too? We leave in less than 3 weeks, and so I'm just wanting to get my facts straight.

or do they charge the gratuity to your onboard accont? What about tipping the servers in the specialty restaurants. Should we tip them, or does the $10 tip per person per day include them, too? We leave in less than 3 weeks, and so I'm just wanting to get my facts straight.

15% is automatically added to each drink for the Bar staff. The specialty staff is included in the $10 tip pool. In both cases if earned a small additional cash tip is always appreciated.

No cash for tips. The 15% is added automatically to your bar bill, but you can add more when you sign the slip if you want. The specialty restaurant waiters are included in the tip pool, but again, you can tip more if you want.

No cash for tips. The 15% is added automatically to your bar bill, but you can add more when you sign the slip if you want. The specialty restaurant waiters are included in the tip pool, but again, you can tip more if you want.

I learned my lesson on the Sun a couple of weeks ago. Tip directly in cash! I added a $3 tip to a $27.60 tab on a bottle of wine. When I checked my onboard account on Friday the tip had been increased to $75.66, making it over a hundred dollars!!!!! No more signing slips with added tips for me.

I learned my lesson on the Sun a couple of weeks ago. Tip directly in cash! I added a $3 tip to a $27.60 tab on a bottle of wine. When I checked my onboard account on Friday the tip had been increased to $75.66, making it over a hundred dollars!!!!! No more signing slips with added tips for me.

No doubt because $3.00 looks SO MUCH like $75.66 that someone made an error in inputting it into the computer.

*****? (pardon my acronym), but there's no way to change $3.00 into $75.66 without it looking as though it's been tampered with.

I trust you had no issues at all with getting this issue resolved at the front desk?

Sorry for the crude response. Cash tip on top of 15% can be done and I have done in the past but probably won't with the higher prices on drinks. But I may - you never know if I find a good bartender I like. HOST - please delete post above I should not have ever written it. Thank you, Debbie

Sorry for the crude response. Cash tip on top of 15% can be done and I have done in the past but probably won't with the higher prices on drinks. But I may - you never know if I find a good bartender I like. HOST - please delete post above I should not have ever written it. Thank you, Debbie

The answer is if we don't like an NCL policy/price we should take it out on the crew:rolleyes: I know that is not your intent.

I loved the reviews on the Spirit where passengers were having the $10 removed because the ship was rocking and the pool was closed.

I have gotten to know a number of the bar service staff on NCL. Here is my $.02.

CASH is KING. adding to the tab is OK but they may never see any of it. Here is why. At least as of last year here is how it worked. The bar wait staff is paid $1000 per month draw against the tips they earn. If the total falls short your extra on the tab will be lost in the overall shortfall. Fall short to often no new contract.

Cash goes around the draw pool. Some staffs decide on their own to pool cash and divide it. That happens in the specialty restaurants to build teamwork.

The net if you want someone to get a little extra make cash the first choice.

Maybe it's because I'm a former bartender but I always stake out a bar or two the 1st day & tip a particular bartender in cash, then chat with that person when s/he has a quiet moment. For the rest of the trip I look for that bartender & no matter who else is in line, I usually get my drink without too much fuss or delay. :) $1-$2 extra here & there & it's smooth sailing. BTW, I'll go so far as to ask the bartender where s/he is working that night becuase they do move around.

The answer is if we don't like an NCL policy/price we should take it out on the crew:rolleyes: I know that is not your intent.

I loved the reviews on the Spirit where passengers were having the $10 removed because the ship was rocking and the pool was closed.

I have gotten to know a number of the bar service staff on NCL. Here is my $.02.

CASH is KING. adding to the tab is OK but they may never see any of it. Here is why. At least as of last year here is how it worked. The bar wait staff is paid $1000 per month draw against the tips they earn. If the total falls short your extra on the tab will be lost in the overall shortfall. Fall short to often no new contract.

Cash goes around the draw pool. Some staffs decide on their own to pool cash and divide it. That happens in the specialty restaurants to build teamwork.

agree totally; cash only and to punish a crew member for a company policy seems totally unfair. Would the same person take a bad meal out on the wait staff? Well, maybe? NMnita

agree totally; cash only and to punish a crew member for a company policy seems totally unfair. Would the same person take a bad meal out on the wait staff? Well, maybe? NMnita

We just returned from the Dawn and I asked about tipping in the specialty restaurants. I was told that cash tips go into a pool while "extra" tips,you add to your bill, go directly to your server...as for the bar staff, I didn't ask.

No doubt because $3.00 looks SO MUCH like $75.66 that someone made an error in inputting it into the computer.

*****? (pardon my acronym), but there's no way to change $3.00 into $75.66 without it looking as though it's been tampered with.

I trust you had no issues at all with getting this issue resolved at the front desk?

No problem at all. As a matter of fact, the young lady was quite cute when she cocked her head, arched an eyebrow, and looked up and said, "You didn't tip $75.66, did you?"

Unfortunately, nothing has been done yet about my missing OBC ($100).:(

We just returned from the Dawn and I asked about tipping in the specialty restaurants. I was told that cash tips go into a pool while "extra" tips,you add to your bill, go directly to your server...as for the bar staff, I didn't ask.

We asked bar staff on the Jewel...

we were told "tip can be cash OR added to bill" it will STILL go to your server ONLY!

We neglected to ask in the restaurants:(

Cash goes in their pockets, charges are pooled and split among those on that shift.

That is what I originally thought but, the information I received was from our Concierge and the Food & Beverage manager..When you add it to your bill you are identifying a particular server. This is also the way management keeps track of servers that go that extra step....Like I said before this is the policy in the specialty restaurants...not the bar staff.

Interesting, add to the bill goes to the wait person, cash in the pool. How in the world does anyone know about the cash? If I give the wait person $5 or $10 is there a camera somewhere that is watching me? I don't know, but it seems like it would be visa versa. NMNita

Archived