packing

TheCalicoCat

Ugh, I've just read a couple posts where people thought that they packed too much winter wear...

I sail on July 17th & 1/2 my brain is totally in "pack shorts" mode while the other 1/2 is in "don't bother packing shorts" mode.

What should I pack? (I was chilled on the train into work this morning...)

I want to go hiking/rambling/walking out in the open - not in a bus or shops or boats... So I don't want to be hot & miserable because my clothes are too warm.

Did you catch my "UGH?"

I did a July 4th cruise several years ago and it was really warm. I remember going back to the ship in Skagway to change into shorts. I would bring a pair or two but not several pairs.

I only packed 3 long sleeved shirts and had to buy one on the ship. I never unpacked my t shirts or shorts. But go ahead and throw a couple of pairs in your suitcase. They don't take much room. I ended up packing a little of everything and just wore what was needed.

Ugh, I've just read a couple posts where people thought that they packed too much winter wear...

I sail on July 17th & 1/2 my brain is totally in "pack shorts" mode while the other 1/2 is in "don't bother packing shorts" mode.

I want to go hiking/rambling/walking out in the open - not in a bus or shops or boats... So I don't want to be hot & miserable because my clothes are too warm.

Did you catch my "UGH?"

If you have convertible pants, pack them. And a pair or two of shorts that you can wash and dry in the shower.

Our first day out, I needed ALL the cold-weather clothes I had taken including wool socks and boots and a down filled vest AND a base layer. The next day? Sunscreen and shorts. In May. Be prepared, it is far better to have something you don't need, than to need something you don't have.

We don't sail till mid-August but there is that same debate going on in our house. We are going with the 'be prepared for anything' approach. Everyone on the board talks about bringing layers. Why? As a previous post point out it was 82 degrees F in Fairbanks on Thursday. Last Saturday it was 4 degrees C (39 degrees F) in Glacier Bay.

We don't sail till mid-August but there is that same debate going on in our house. We are going with the 'be prepared for anything' approach. Everyone on the board talks about bringing layers. Why? As a previous post point out it was 82 degrees F in Fairbanks on Thursday. Last Saturday it was 4 degrees C (39 degrees F) in Glacier Bay.

You bring layers as it can be cold/cooler in the morning and warmer in the afternoon - thus, pealing clothes off through out the day. I often start with a jacket and no longer need it later. I have started with jeans and wanted shorts in the afternoon.

If you have convertible pants, pack them. And a pair or two of shorts that you can wash and dry in the shower.

Luckily I purchased the unlimited laundry package. But the minimalist packing theory (because of the ability to have things washed) is wreaking havoc on my desire to have choices.

Luckily I purchased the unlimited laundry package. But the minimalist packing theory (because of the ability to have things washed) is wreaking havoc on my desire to have choices.

We usually buy the Unlimited Laundry, also, but I love having control over a few easy to wash/dry items that I don't send out for laundry. I am pretty minimalist in my packing (DH and I actually shared ONE checked suitcase this last 7 day trip, AND he brought a suit, dress shoes, etc....) but for me, the wash&dry items are important, especially if the laundry gets backed up, and the clean stuff doesn't arrive when expected.

(.... besides, choices are nice :D )

Dreading packing for my Aug 2 Princess cruise-tour...but then again, I always dread packing. No clue at this point what I am taking. It will be especially interesting as I am returning from a Bahama cruise only 6 days before I leave for my Alaska cruise. What was I thinking? :)

Did you catch my "UGH?"

My Spouse has a couple of pairs of Columbia brand pants in a light weight material and they zip into shorts and are super comfy and look great! We just went last week to San Fran, Carmel and Monterey and I can't tell you how many times he zipped them on and off with the changes in weather and wind!! I on the other hand was in shorts the whole time. Being located in Vancouver we get some days now until September that range from 75-95 degree's, Alaska can have some great days too. The bottoms of his pants crumble into a small ball and was easy to stick anywhere lol. They are also wrinkle free!

Seattle and Vancouver are entering the driest and sunniest time of year and will likely be seeing temperatures around 80° for highs in the afternoon at sailaway time. Cool cloudy mornings due to marine layer but that burns off by noon usually. But north of these cities things cool off fast due to cold ocean water and depending on where you live your need for shorts will vary. People from Pac. NW who wear shorts pretty much all year, down to 45° will be fine for the entire cruise. Folks from far south may as well leave them home. Not to say a freak east wind blowing down off the coastal mountains might not warm it up (to 70° or so) a day or two but the odds of that are long in any given week. Cruise tours going to the interior (like Denali) can see really warm temps due to long daylight hours and no cold ocean water nearby.

Seattle and Vancouver are entering the driest and sunniest time of year and will likely be seeing temperatures around 80° for highs in the afternoon at sailaway time. Cool cloudy mornings due to marine layer but that burns off by noon usually. But north of these cities things cool off fast due to cold ocean water and depending on where you live your need for shorts will vary. People from Pac. NW who wear shorts pretty much all year, down to 45° will be fine for the entire cruise. Folks from far south may as well leave them home. Not to say a freak east wind blowing down off the coastal mountains might not warm it up (to 70° or so) a day or two but the odds of that are long in any given week. Cruise tours going to the interior (like Denali) can see really warm temps due to long daylight hours and no cold ocean water nearby.

How long will that last? I'm going in September and have no idea what to bring.....being from Los Angeles we have 2 seasons....warm and hot

We are going to Alaska the 2nd week of September and I have no idea what to pack. This will be my first cruise in a cold region and my living in Southern California I don't have a lot of cold weather clothes.

Us as well! Live in Palm Springs and first cruise to a cold region. Our Noordam cruise begins on 9/17, flying to Anchorage on 9/14 for the land portion first. Although this thread is helpful, still struggling with what clothing to take.

Any chance 99Cruiser you are on the same cruise? If so, come join our roll call! Have a great cruise and if you figure out what to take, let me know! :D

After reading this, I still feel like I need to bring everything from shorts/tees to snow pants and boots. :)

We are sailing on the Sun 7/31, Northbound, and then doing the five-night land tour. I feel like between Vancouver and Fairbanks, we are probably going to see it all, in terms of weather.

How long will that last? I'm going in September and have no idea what to bring....

In Seattle and Vancouver summer is really from August through September and then about October 1 the rains turn back on. A big reason Alaska cruise season ends about then. I get really mad :mad: at our apartment management for closing the outdoor pool after Labor Day weekend when it can still be really nice for another 3-4 weeks. Farther north things start turning earlier as the days get shorter.