Help with Western Caribbean excursions on the Magic

sunset785

My family and I will be traveling with in October. It will be me, DH, and our two boys (3 and 5 years old). We have never done the Western Caribbean route but I am so stuck on excursions so I have a couple questions:

- Is it better to do a Carnival Excursion in Belize? If you say yes, then we would probably do Starfish Island but the cost is $$ compared to the two other excursions we are eyeing.

- The other excursions we are eyeing are an excursion to the Howler Monkey sanctuary. This tour is 3 hours long. The other one is a beach trip to Goff's Caye. Both are around the same price except Goff's Caye includes rum punch and is a bit longer. I just worry that going with an outside excursions means we could miss the tender in Belize. We are in port 8 am-5 pm.

What about in Roatan? If we don't do the Monkey's in Belize then we would like to do a Victor Bodden Tour that includes the monkeys and slothes, sightseeing, and two hours at West End Beach. This is a great price but isn't the beach in Roatan FREE at the port? Is West End Beach better? We are in port 9 am- 6 pm. Is there anything else to do at the port? Kayaking, snorkeling?

These are the two main places I am trying to figure out because I think I have Cozumel and Costa Maya all set on what we are going to do. Thanks!

There really is not much to do/see at the port area in Belize. If you plan to get off the ship, I would suggest an excursion. We don't book through the cruise line, we book direct. We ended up doing cave tubing, and loved it. I know most people feel safe with the excursions booked through Carnival due to the ship waiting if the excursion runs late. Remember, these tour guides/companies make their living doing this, so they rely on word of mouth for business. They would not be in business long if they had a reputation of not getting customers back to port in time.

We have been to Belize a couple of times. We've done the small island/key excurisions through Carnival and they were very nice. We have also done the cave tubing through a private company. Although Carnival offered their version of the same, the private company provided us with a much longer and involved experience (more on-water time), carried the tubes for us, and even stopped at an area where the kids (and myself!) could jump off of the rocks into the water. They even provided a small meal at the end. Very good experience.

We have been to Belize a couple of times. We've done the small island/key excurisions through Carnival and they were very nice. We have also done the cave tubing through a private company. Although Carnival offered their version of the same, the private company provided us with a much longer and involved experience (more on-water time), carried the tubes for us, and even stopped at an area where the kids (and myself!) could jump off of the rocks into the water. They even provided a small meal at the end. Very good experience.

Exact company we used!

Belize: with young kids I would book through the cruise line. I have done Goffs Caye through the cruise line and thought it was a good excursion for my then 3 yo and 8 yo boys. It's small and there are plenty of tide pools to play in. The snorkeling is good from shore so one parent can stay while the other takes a swim. I would chose this or Starfish and save the monkeys for Roatan. Any of these close places would not require booking with Carnival - we only do that if we are traveling long distances or have a long excursion.

We actually liked Island Marketing a tad better than Booden - at that time Booden didn't have a sloth. IM also took us to the iguana sanctuary. You can either add in west bay beach - they can take you to a nice place to eat or you could return to the port. But west bay is a much nicer beach imho and you can snorkel in places there - there isn't any at the port.

Roatan is my boys favorite port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for ideas. Might go ahead and book Starfish Island thru Carnival. Tendering sounds like a pain in Belize and maybe even more so if you don't have an excursion booked with Carnival. I don't know how my kids will do with all the wait time.