First-time cruiser review: Magic July 2-8

TATSR

Not a big world traveler, but I thought this would be a fun/interesting adventure for the family. Kids are 13, 15, 18 and have never been out of the US. Typical vacation is visiting family or South Carolina beach.

We chose Carnival Magic 6-day trip to Nassau, Amber Cove, Grand Turk from Port Canaveral

Highs:

• Food. The quality was really better than I expected. We enjoyed eating in the dining room each night and trying new things.
  • Room. Also better than I expected. We got adjoining balcony rooms and left the door between open. The balcony was shaded most of the time and was always a good place to sit and read.
  • Movie nights: I know, you can do that at home. But it was very peaceful lying on the deck enjoying a movie with free (unsalted) popcorn. (We saw Beauty and the Beast, Sing, Moana, Hidden Figures, and there were other good choices available).
  • Comedy shows: We went to two PG shows (Al Katz and John Wesley Austin). Both pretty good sets for the kids.
  • 18+: My 18 year old son really took advantage of everything 18+. Spent a lot of time at the piano bar and deck parties.
  • Waterfalls of Damajagua (DR): This was our only shore excursion. Pretty fun if you're in good enough shape to make the climb up.

Lessons learned:

• Dang it was hot! This was really the only time I could get everyone together, but if I was going to do it again, I would do it some other time. The fun kid stuff (mini-golf, ropes course, etc) is on the top deck exposed to the sun and gets extremely hot. The beach days were also pretty unbearable.
  • Dang it was crowded! I know, another "duh!" But forget about lounging in the pool.
  • Ports matter. When I was first planning this adventure I asked here for advice. Nobody recommended the itinerary that I eventually chose (mainly because of dates and departure port). I think I see why. Walking to Junkanoo Beach in Nassau didn't exactly start things on a high note.

Meh:

• Kids clubs. We walked by the 12-14 club and the 15-17 club a few times and virtually never saw anyone in there. I'm not even sure if they had any organized activities. My kids didn't especially want to participate, but it would have been nice for them to have new friends to hang out with on the ship. A first-day meet and greet would have been fine. Maybe they had one and we missed it. I did sign them up when I registered, but I don't think we ever received any sort of invitation or notification of events.
  • Shows. We went to Flick, 88 Keys, and America Rocks. The kids were underwhelmed with all 3. Can't say that I blamed them.
  • Internet. I teach online and my wife and son are enrolled in online classes. I decided that we would buy "premium" service for the last 2 days so that we could do our classwork. Service was very sporadic and aggravating.

Anyway, it was an interesting experience and I'm glad we did it. I probably won't become one of those serial cruisers, but I already miss my Carnival Melting Chocolate Cake dessert.

Question, since I see that you went to the PG comedy shows.

I have read that they now require you to get tickets, on Magic, for the 18+ comedy, but do you need to get tickets to see the PG ones?

Or can you just walk in? Thanks

It's always interesting to read reviews from first time cruisers. I'm glad you enjoyed the ship.

It's too late now, but the major thing about the clubs for kids the age range of yours is to attend the first night's meeting. They mingle and sort of form groups, then the rest of the cruise tend to hang out together.

Thanks for posting your experiences.

Question, since I see that you went to the PG comedy shows.

I have read that they now require you to get tickets, on Magic, for the 18+ comedy, but do you need to get tickets to see the PG ones?

Or can you just walk in? Thanks

You don't need tickets for PG shows. We typically left dinner about 7:30 and went to Showtime Theater for a preshow. Shows started about 8 or 8:15 and finished around 8:45. Then we would go to comedy club for 9:30 show. Arriving about 9:00 or so we had no trouble getting good seats. But the room was always full by 9:30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's always interesting to read reviews from first time cruisers. I'm glad you enjoyed the ship.

It's too late now, but the major thing about the clubs for kids the age range of yours is to attend the first night's meeting. They mingle and sort of form groups, then the rest of the cruise tend to hang out together.

Thanks for posting your experiences.

That's the part we missed when we were just trying to figure out where everything was. The kids weren't really disappointed, but I think they might have enjoyed it.

What deck were you on? We have adjoining balcony rooms on the Magic in 2 weeks.

We were in 8269/8271. Elevators were often crowded so we took the stairs quite a bit up to Lido or down to dinner on 4.

We were on the same ship at the same time and my kids 12 and 14 were always in their club. They had times posted on the sheet they gave you when you signed up. They always had something going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Meh:

• Kids clubs. We walked by the 12-14 club and the 15-17 club a few times and virtually never saw anyone in there. I'm not even sure if they had any organized activities. My kids didn't especially want to participate, but it would have been nice for them to have new friends to hang out with on the ship. A first-day meet and greet would have been fine. Maybe they had one and we missed it. I did sign them up when I registered, but I don't think we ever received any sort of invitation or notification of events.

The first night they have a get together and this is generally where everyone makes their friends and get contact info and for the rest of the week they will meet up and hang out together which is why you generally did not see a ton of people in those clubs - They also hand out an activity list then which has all the group activities and where those are being held out for those age groups sometimes its in the club sometimes its on the top deck, the lido deck, etc

You don't need tickets for PG shows. We typically left dinner about 7:30 and went to Showtime Theater for a preshow. Shows started about 8 or 8:15 and finished around 8:45. Then we would go to comedy club for 9:30 show. Arriving about 9:00 or so we had no trouble getting good seats. But the room was always full by 9:30.

I was also on the Magic that sailing and I can confirm that you do now need tickets. I do however think its for the adult shows only. You had to go to the Vibe nightclub 1hr before that show (but you better get there before that as a long line was already happening) they give you a ticket and then you have to go back to that night club 30 minutes before the show. Then then call you by the letter you were given. We were B. I think they had A-G. It was a hassle for a 30 minute show. Lots of waiting around. Not worth it in my opinion. I was told that they are only testing this process on the Magic.