Scuba Excursions on the Dawn

Gampy1967

Not specifically Dawn related by when reviewing possible excursions, we noted there were several "intro to scuba" type excursions and various islands available. Do you have to be scuba certified to take the excursions (it did not appear so) or do you at least have to have taken the written part of the certification class?

Thanks. We love to snorkel and wanted to try an "intro" scuba excursion, but not if we have to get certified before hand.

Not specifically Dawn related by when reviewing possible excursions, we noted there were several "intro to scuba" type excursions and various islands available. Do you have to be scuba certified to take the excursions (it did not appear so) or do you at least have to have taken the written part of the certification class?

Thanks. We love to snorkel and wanted to try an "intro" scuba excursion, but not if we have to get certified before hand.

Its an intro class, nothing needed with the exception of being medical fit. These type of excursions are usually done at a local dive place. The last 2-3 hours, with a short written exam, watching a video and or listening to the person teaching it. You are then taken to the beach or a pool were you will have time to do a one tank "dive"

See this link for an example....... https://www.cokidive.com/padi-discover-scuba-diving

Your dive time here will count towards any other certification class

http://godivenow.com/learn-to-dive/get-certified?gclid=Cj0KCQjwy4zLBRCOARIsADfss35jIgddk__wht4ffa9_n-JtabVZqeil_Ahk4zUeDEar_DT8NScZo8kaAmg7EALw_wcB

Edited by Laszlo

Thanks. Does that mean that for the "two tank" dive excursions you do have to be certified?

Its an intro class, nothing needed with the exception of being medical fit. These type of excursions are usually done at a local dive place. The last 2-3 hours, with a short written exam, watching a video and or listening to the person teaching it. You are then taken to the beach or a pool were you will have time to do a one tank "dive"

See this link for an example....... https://www.cokidive.com/padi-discover-scuba-diving

Your dive time here will count towards any other certification class

http://godivenow.com/learn-to-dive/get-certified?gclid=Cj0KCQjwy4zLBRCOARIsADfss35jIgddk__wht4ffa9_n-JtabVZqeil_Ahk4zUeDEar_DT8NScZo8kaAmg7EALw_wcB

Thanks. Does that mean that for the "two tank" dive excursions you do have to be certified?

Yes! I DO NOT recommend trying to get certified at a resort type of dive place unless you are there for a week. It could be done in 3-4 days but that is pushing it.

I am an assistant scuba instructor. The "Discover SCUBA Diving" excursion offered on the Dawn is for people who are not certified. Any 2 tank dive is only for certified divers. If you have time before your trip, it would be worth it to get certified. You would need to have your written exam and 4 certification dives completed to get you "card".

I am an assistant scuba instructor. The "Discover SCUBA Diving" excursion offered on the Dawn is for people who are not certified. Any 2 tank dive is only for certified divers. If you have time before your trip, it would be worth it to get certified. You would need to have your written exam and 4 certification dives completed to get you "card".

When did they change 5 dives to 4?

Thank you everyone for the info. Planning on taking one of the "intro diving" excursions while on the cruise. If we really like it then may go back and get certified. Just was not sure if we had to have any of the certification process done before the intro diving excursion. A tad expensive (about $200-$300 for the written materials and testing) just to find out that we did not really like it. Thanks again.

I'm confused, If someone were already certified in SCUBA then why would they take an intro class?

You can take the intro class as a certified diver if you have an uncertified friend doing it. You might also want to do the intro if you haven't been diving for a few years and want the review.

The vast majority of certified divers will take the 2-tank excursion because you get 2 dives instead of 1 and the sites are usually much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone for the info. Planning on taking one of the "intro diving" excursions while on the cruise. If we really like it then may go back and get certified. Just was not sure if we had to have any of the certification process done before the intro diving excursion. A tad expensive (about $200-$300 for the written materials and testing) just to find out that we did not really like it. Thanks again.

Send it back and get a refund if you can. You don't need any material for the intro course. They will supply everything. The intro course gets your feet wet so to speak, thats it. If you find you like it and want to pursue it find a dive shop in your area at home and take the full course. That will include classroom and pool time, usually 5-10 pool visits or until the instructor see's you are fully comfortable in the water with all the equipment. Then you will do your 4-5 open water dives. These can be at a lake, quarry, ocean......

You will have to be able, after the short course, to demonstrate your "skills" ie clearing water from your mask, removing your mouth peace and putting in back in properly, before you can dive, if you can't you will not be allowed to dive. This happened to someone in Roatan. I am certified but it's been a while since I dove so I opted for a beginner dive as my confidence was low....and the wife was nagging.....I'm not sure if the person turned away got any sort of refund........at the very least go snorkeling or have a snorkeling back round before trying scuba.