Liquor In Cabin

Lil Dutch Girl

My husband, adult children and I will be sailing on the Infinity on 1/2/05 for the Eastern Carribean. We would like to bring alcohol on board to celebrate an anniversary and several birthdays in our cabins. Has anyone had any experience with bringing alcohol on board a Celebrity ship recently? I've read on older postings that folks had no problem with the cruise line in this regard; however, I would like to hear from anyone who has done this recently, especially now that they are screening baggage, etc.

Since you are new, I'lll try to answer this delicately....

The rules say no, but everyone does it.

That being said.... 'it' (bringing booze on board) is one of the most frequently discussed topics on CC.

So again, the short answer is, do what you want. I'm not sure how screening baggage makes any difference. It's my experience that baggage has always been 'screened ' by cruise lines, including carry ons.

Do it within limits...

Don't try to lug a keg on board and you should be fine.

Remember you can restock when you hit a port as the line does not take away what you bring back.

Espically in Puerto Rico....

At the long cruise terminal - as you re enter any time - I would say from 10am till about 3pm.

They give away free samples of rum drinks.

If you buy a bottle - either from them or upstairs.

If you ask... nicely... and give them a dollar.

They will give you a can of the drink mix for each bottle you buy.

So............you can mix some drinks up in the room from this. Ice is gotten from the room steward.

Glasses you can get from the buffet upstairs or an outside bar - the large plastic ones.

You can also tip the bar tender a buck or two and get some of the fruit extras and other small things.

If you have extra unopened cans left - give them to the room steward - they will use it.

Do it within limits...

Don't try to lug a keg on board and you should be fine.

Remember you can restock when you hit a port as the line does not take away what you bring back.

I don't think this is correct information... They do take away bottles you are bringing from ashore.

I really don't like to teach "smugling" :o, but the best bet is to empty 1 litre bottles from soda and fill them with a liquor then put them into the luggage you are checking in.

I don't think this is correct information... They do take away bottles you are bringing from ashore.

I really don't like to teach "smugling" :o, but the best bet is to empty 1 litre bottles from soda and fill them with a liquor then put them into the luggage you are checking in.

In all the times I've brought anything of this type on pre boarding and during the cruise... Never have they taken anything away from me.

On our first several cruises on Celebrity we did indeed smuggle bottles of booze aboard. We went so far as buy leak proof quart plastic bottles and filled them with Absolute and Beefeaters. It was a chore bringing them all the way from Reno, NV to Fort Lauderdale.

On our last several cruises, we just ordered the bon voyage liquor packages and had them delivered to our suite. The price is somewhat reasonable being $50.00, which includes a litre of booze, a very generous supply of nuts, and six sodas of your choice. It sure bets lugging that stuff across country and eliminates the stress of having it confiscated when you board.

On our last cruise in the Med on Galaxy, we ran out and our butler just got us another liquor package which was charged on our sea pass. We think this is a pretty good solution.

On our first several cruises on Celebrity we did indeed smuggle bottles of booze aboard. We went so far as buy leak proof quart plastic bottles and filled them with Absolute and Beefeaters. It was a chore bringing them all the way from Reno, NV to Fort Lauderdale.

On our last several cruises, we just ordered the bon voyage liquor packages and had them delivered to our suite. The price is somewhat reasonable being $50.00, which includes a litre of booze, a very generous supply of nuts, and six sodas of your choice. It sure bets lugging that stuff across country and eliminates the stress of having it confiscated when you board.

On our last cruise in the Med on Galaxy, we ran out and our butler just got us another liquor package which was charged on our sea pass. We think this is a pretty good solution.

We tried to bring liqour on the Connie and got busted. I think it was due to lack of discresion. Later the same day DH brought a bottle of scotch on. It was in his carry on and nobody said a word. The policy is no booze, I would just try it and if you get busted it will be returned to you the last night of the cruise. Of course the better choice is the bar set up even if it may cost a bit more. Wine, by the way is fine to bring on. NMnita

Longboy -- the results on that are mixed (although I'd say success is favored), and there are no guarantees that you won't be getting it back on the last night of the cruise.

Just back on November 21 from a 10 day cruise on the Mercury. Carried onboard 2 bottles of liquor and 4 bottles of wine in our backpacks. The screeners never questioned anything. We gave our room steward a bottle of wine every other night to take to the dining room for us. Did receive a corkage charge of $15 per bottle. We enjoyed having a cocktail in our room before going to dinner.

We've always been successful, however on the Horizon in April we saw checked bags that had been pulled aside because liquor had been found in them. Those people received a notice in their cabin as to where they could "retrieve" their luggage. It was actually pretty funny.

On the 5 day Zenith departing 11/5 I packed a 3 liter box of wine (some are half-way decent) in our checked backage. We also bought and put through the x-ray machine a 6 pack of beer in both Grand Cayman and Key West that we bought on shore and did not have problems.

Like I said - as in don't bring a keg...

The line does not want to cause a problem with a paying passanger.

If your nice and don't go overboard they will let you be.

Look I've talked to the staff on this.

They are only there to pick up if you want to drop it off. For them to hold till you leave the ship.

You have to find your comfort zone in bringing something on the ship.

I had a bottle of Latvian liquor in my back pack and did not have a problem.

Our our Baltics cruise the attendant in the ship's duty free liquor stop allowed me to take my purchase to the stateroom as long as I was discreet. He was hoping that I would consume it and come back and buy more :D !

As someone else said on this thtread, there are no guarantees. Try and bring something in your carry on bag and see what happens!

On the 5 day Zenith departing 11/5 I packed a 3 liter box of wine (some are half-way decent) in our checked backage. We also bought and put through the x-ray machine a 6 pack of beer in both Grand Cayman and Key West that we bought on shore and did not have problems.

We like the 3 liter boxes and will probably take one on our 5 nighter in two weeks. NMnita

I had a bottle of Latvian liquor in my back pack and did not have a problem.

Our our Baltics cruise the attendant in the ship's duty free liquor stop allowed me to take my purchase to the stateroom as long as I was discreet. He was hoping that I would consume it and come back and buy more :D !

As someone else said on this thtread, there are no guarantees. Try and bring something in your carry on bag and see what happens!

Bringing it on board is not that hard it appears, but as for buying in the gift shop and letting you take it back to your cabin: good luck, this is 100% against RCI/Celebrity's rules. I wouldn't even try this. NMNita

Bringing it on board is not that hard it appears, but as for buying in the gift shop and letting you take it back to your cabin: good luck, this is 100% against RCI/Celebrity's rules. I wouldn't even try this. NMNita

Nopes... On RCCL (at least on our med cruise on Splendor, and I heard about the other ship) you can pay corkage fee and take it to the cabin.

Corkage fee is very reasonable. For the liter of the Absolute you pay $9.50. In total it's the same as if you bought it in land store. During the first night they often run specials when you pay $9.50 for 2 bottles, so it's even cheaper than buying on shore.

I would gladly pay their fee if Celebrity or other lines allowed. It would be profitable business for them. People who want buy cocktails in the bar will still do it, but we can actually enjoy it in our cabin without the need to smuggle.

Archived