Tragedy in St Maarten

mickey89

It's only on takeoff that this is dangerous. When the aircraft are landing they are at reduced thrust. I bet it won't be long before the airport installs jet blast deflectors to protect people from doing stupid stuff. They wouldn't have to be any higher than the fence. It's really hard to believe there are people who think standing directly behind a jet aircraft at takeoff is a good idea.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One problem (I've been a licensed pilot since 1963, though unlike Harrison Ford I no longer fly except as a passenger) is that you don't want to put a concrete barrier at the end of the runway that a plane landing short could impact, since that would very likely cause a major disaster. There are also probably EU regulations prohibiting that kind of obstruction; as I recall, the FAA certainly had some. A hydraulic blast barrier (down for landings, up for takeoffs) would probably be ideal. The reason aircraft come in so low there is that it's a very short runway; likewise. they rev the engines up as high as they can before releasing the brakes, and that's what killed this poor woman.

I have also had some time behind the stick :). We are not talking about a monster concrete blast wall...which, indeed, could be a safety issue at the end of a runway. We are talking about a carefully engineered blast wall (many of which are now manufactured out of tough fiberglass) that would be very close to the inside of the runway fence. It should not pose anymore of a safety issue then the current fencing (which is steel or aluminum). A much more expensive option would be a hydraulic jetblast barrier...which could simply be raised before takeoffs.....but otherwise left in a down position.

My point is that the only impediment to protecting the beach goers...is the failure of the local authorities. Even a jet blast barrier would not hurt tourism at Maho...since it would not take away from the excitement of a landing. I have been on that beach when an Air France 747 landed (I don't think they any longer get 747s) and had a great view of the landing gear :).

Hank

One problem (I've been a licensed pilot since 1963, though unlike Harrison Ford I no longer fly except as a passenger) is that you don't want to put a concrete barrier at the end of the runway that a plane landing short could impact, since that would very likely cause a major disaster. There are also probably EU regulations prohibiting that kind of obstruction; as I recall, the FAA certainly had some. A hydraulic blast barrier (down for landings, up for takeoffs) would probably be ideal. The reason aircraft come in so low there is that it's a very short runway; likewise. they rev the engines up as high as they can before releasing the brakes, and that's what killed this poor woman.

The runway used to be shorter. In those days it seemed that not an inch of runway on both landing and take off was wasted. Word has it that Air France once clipped the fence earning them the nickname of Air Fence and the Concord landed at this airport on one occasion as well with the then President of France onboard.