Using phone while on Breakaway to Florida and Bahamas

jkpetronis

My mom is ill and in a nursing home. I have the internet package and we both have iPhones. Will I be able to call or FaceTime her at all while on the cruise. I can't afford a gigantic bill. Thanks so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

FaceTime is free as long as you're on wifi. You could research your stops before you go for restaurants, stores, libraries, coffee shops etc that have free wifi and use it there.

• 3 weeks later...
If you have the internet package, just use Facebook messenger. You can voice call, do video chats, and text through messenger.

So are you saying that FaceTime isn't free but Facebook messenger is?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So are you saying that FaceTime isn't free but Facebook messenger is?

You missed the part in the quoted post saying....if you have the internet

Internet may well be free in the ports but it's not free on the ship unless you take it as your perk

You can FaceTime audio via your internet package on the ship

Just like a phone call

As far as I know Facebook messenger is just for messages

Both require internet access

Turn off data and make sure your phone is in wifi mode

If you have a wifi only iPad use that instead so no worries about large phone bills

Face time audio is the reason I take the free internet package as my perk

It's just like making a phone call....

OP, which internet package do you have on the Breakaway - sailing soon, I assume ??

The 250 minutes "free" plan under Free At Sea will give you 1,000 MB or 1GB worth of data to use - only for the Breakaway.

Facebook Messenger has its own (telephone style) dialer, you can use it to do video and/or audio calling. If your mom is more comfortable in using iOS's Facetime - do use it. Do a few "practice" sessions before you sail so that she's comfortable using it. It is also a good time to give FB Messenger a trial run and see for herself/yourself. FB's App is good on using data vs. Skype on the opposite end.

http://www.androidauthority.com/voice-call-data-comparison-598541/

If you opted for an unlimited WiFi plan on the BA, you should be all set. WiFi coverage on the ship apparently extended to GSC - a tender port, as we discovered recently on the Gem. I'm reasonably sure that Breakaway will have the same coverage ... as NCL managed to relayed the signal to its private island.

Since you are using an iPhone, you should be familiar (who is your home cellular service provider or carrier ??) with WiFi calling - as you can use that over ship's satellite WiFi network to call home & talk with mom, as an alternative or backup.

I also recommend reading & reviewing some of the info & tips, etc. here - you should find it helpful as background

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2507608&highlight=NCL&page=2

Been there, done all that over many, many years ... all of us do and will have frail elderly to care for, at some point. Keep in mind that for true emergencies, the ability to stay in touch is priceless ... money is irrelevant, the ability to stay in touch and to get thru, no matter what, will mitigate the stress. Having a Plan B is good, but Plan C is really the fallback when SHTF. Any other questions, feel free to ask & best of luck.

iMessage (texting between iPhones) is completely free when you are on the cruise!!! DO NOT BUY THE WI-FI. You can text as much as you want without spending a penny. I was one of the suckers who bought wi-fi as soon as we boarded, but after I turned it off, I kept getting texts. I went to guest services to ask if I was getting charged and they said no, it is completely free. I was pissed that I spent money just to text when it was free all along. No, you will not be able to call, but you can send audio messages. You will have cellular data in Florida, though, so you can call and FaceTime then.

iMessage (texting between iPhones) is completely free when you are on the cruise!!! DO NOT BUY THE WI-FI. You can text as much as you want without spending a penny. I was one of the suckers who bought wi-fi as soon as we boarded, but after I turned it off, I kept getting texts. I went to guest services to ask if I was getting charged and they said no, it is completely free. I was pissed that I spent money just to text when it was free all along. No, you will not be able to call, but you can send audio messages. You will have cellular data in Florida, though, so you can call and FaceTime then.

Thanks for the advice.

iMessage (texting between iPhones) is still free when you are on the cruise!!! ... No, you will not be able to call, but you can send audio messages. You will have cellular data in Florida, though, so you can call and FaceTime then.
Word of caution. True with this known loophole, still, for iOS device ... until NCL upgrade to the newer satellite system configuration. Access and free ride to satellite cellular & broadband inTERnet is never, never really free - there is a cost to NCL; and, just a matter of I.T. figuring out how to block it. Enjoy it while you can, but IMO, don't take it for granted ... nothing last forever. This has been possible on other NCL ships (i.e. Gem on the same route) as occasionally reported by other CC'er sailing.

For Android and Window smartphone users - this doesn't help them. Actually, inbound text message headers do, depending on the device, sometimes slip thru at no charge or incur/use data - just not the full 160 character text; and, there is no outbound message (can't "Send" SMS to anyone) for free.

Text messaging using the smartphone's cellular radio ... even when roaming, depending on the carrier's plan/coverage, is not expensive and/or possibly almost free.

This discussion isn't to help someone sailing the Escape or Getaway, already under the NCL WiFi internet plans with the social media option ... I believed some has posted it is no longer "possible" to text for free on the iPhones - YMMV.