From Solo to 2 Pax?

bucks724

My family is doing a cruise in January 2019. My DD is in college and can't go, and I got divorced a year ago. I would like to book a room on their cruise, but as of right now, I don't have a roommate - my friends don't plan that far in advance.

If I book a solo, is it possible, as long as capacity on the ship allows, to turn my room reservation to a double occupancy? If so, how does pricing work? I know I am charged the solo rate at first, I assume it would go down, but what are the logistics of this from someone who has been there before?

My family is doing a cruise in January 2019. My DD is in college and can't go, and I got divorced a year ago. I would like to book a room on their cruise, but as of right now, I don't have a roommate - my friends don't plan that far in advance.

If I book a solo, is it possible, as long as capacity on the ship allows, to turn my room reservation to a double occupancy? If so, how does pricing work? I know I am charged the solo rate at first, I assume it would go down, but what are the logistics of this from someone who has been there before?

You have been able to book a room with the second passenger "tbd." I would give that a shot.

I don't know if this will help. In April we booked a cruise with my mother in a room by herself. There was a possibility that she might cancel or that she might ask a friend to join her so we didn't opt for the early saver rate for her room. As it turned out, she did get a friend to room with her. At that point we hadn't made the final payment (and I don't know if that would have been an issue anyway). It was very easy to add the second person to her room. The only difference in the price was that taxes for the second person were added.

If you book a cabin as a solo, you're pretty much paying for a second passenger already... The only additional fees should be taxes / port fees, and the daily service charge once you're on board.

Actually, we just did this. My adult son wanted to go with us, but didn't have a friend lined up as yet. We asked Carnival the best way to book this.

Carnival rep advised us to book him solo, then before final payment is due, just add a person to the cabin. Only price difference is the tax/port charges (and tips)