Lunch on Embarkation Day

Nickymmm

Hi everyone,

looking forward to our first P&O cruise to Norway on Arcadia in September.

Quick question - we have an early boarding time of 12.30, can we get lunch on board? In-laws and my mother are travelling with us and they have a later boarding time of 2pm - will lunch still be available then or should I organise something for them in the terminal before they board?

Husband is a full time wheelchair user and we have booked cabin D1 mini suite (which I am reliably informed is miles away from the lifts....it was the only accessible one left!). Apparently it's a good size, has anyone stayed in it?

Many thanks

Hi, I do love Arcadia, I'm sure you will have a fabulous time.

The buffet will be open when both you and your family board. There is a lunch for those in suites and higher tiers, it's nothing too special but you do get a glass of wine - I don't know if it applies to mini suites though. I think the venue for this lunch on Arcadia lacks intimacy and it was much nicer on Azura.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks Florry!

We're looking forward to it - I understand she is going for a refit shortly after we cruise, but I have heard lots of good things about her! Fingers crossed that the Norwegian weather is good!

The lunch is for Caribbean Tier members and above, as well as those booked in Suites and Mini-Suites. It will be available from 1:30 to 3:30pm.

The self-service buffet area will be open from when you board as well.

Sent from my Sony Z1 Compact.

Thanks Florry!

We're looking forward to it - I understand she is going for a refit shortly after we cruise, but I have heard lots of good things about her! Fingers crossed that the Norwegian weather is good!

She still looks really smart after her last refit. The thing about Arcadia is she has a little bit of everything, a full promenade, a lovely crows nest, a thermal suite, an Ocean Grill (my favourite) and a few intimate bars such as the Oriental. I'm sure you will enjoy it, the fjords are marvellous too :)

The lunch is for Caribbean Tier members and above, as well as those booked in Suites and Mini-Suites. It will be available from 1:30 to 3:30pm.

The self-service buffet area will be open from when you board as well.

All our recent cruises have had the lunch as soon as embarkation took place. On Britannia two weeks ago that was 12.00.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Frankly I no longer attend the 'special' lunch. As a high tier and suite passenger I much prefer going to the buffet and selecting a nice salad from the offering, take it down to the suite and enjoy it with a glass of either the champagne or decent glass of wine. I would say also if you are an early embarker to go to the buffet sooner than later as it gets pretty crowded as the afternoon wears on.

I would also say I think the quality of food provided at the 'special' lunch is below average and, the 'Bubbly' a cheap Italian sparkling wine. No brainer for me but some might think it does the trick. I speak as I find.

Left out

129 P&O cruises, 17 in the pipeline.

Frankly I no longer attend the 'special' lunch. As a high tier and suite passenger I much prefer going to the buffet and selecting a nice salad from the offering, take it down to the suite and enjoy it with a glass of either the champagne or decent glass of wine. I would say also if you are an early embarker to go to the buffet sooner than later as it gets pretty crowded as the afternoon wears on.

I would also say I think the quality of food provided at the 'special' lunch is below average and, the 'Bubbly' a cheap Italian sparkling wine. No brainer for me but some might think it does the trick. I speak as I find.

Left out

Don't agree that it it below average, it is finger food. Some ships give a knife and fork buffet.

However if you cruise a lot then it can be the same every time you board.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

All our recent cruises have had the lunch as soon as embarkation took place. On Britannia two weeks ago that was 12.00.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

It wasn't on Arcadia three weeks ago - it was 1:30pm as stated. Maybe Britannia has changed it as there are so many more people.

Don't agree that it it below average, it is finger food. Some ships give a knife and fork buffet.

However if you cruise a lot then it can be the same every time you board.

As I say Dai, each to their own .. frankly didn't think much of it when it was introduced, the finger sandwiches previously, i.e. as in high tea, with a decent glass of wine, for suite pax only was much better imo

Left out

It wasn't on Arcadia three weeks ago - it was 1:30pm as stated. Maybe Britannia has changed it as there are so many more people.

We were on Arcadia last Sep/Oct and it was 12.00 both cruises. In fact on the second we turned up at 12.00 and there were 20+ people in before us.

Left out

I do know what you mean but I think it's inconsistent across the fleet.

On Arcadia the last few years I've found it to be fairly poor, spring rolls and the like, also the atmosphere is one of being herded in and somewhat discouraged from being there too long, the staff look fairly miserable and if you are on a special diet it's not easy to get anything suitable.

Now, Azura a totally different scenario, the good was lovely, atmosphere really relaxing, the staff were amazing and when they saw me puzzling over the food (I didn't even have to ask) they sent for the chef who prepared fresh prawns in garlic butter for me. Ok so it wasn't very filling but I didn't care a bit because they made so much effort it was amazing.

After that cruise on Azura I have to say I think she is a new favourite. I do wish now I had written a thank you card but it was such a short cruise I forgot - I will email them I think.

Left out

I do know what you mean but I think it's inconsistent across the fleet.

On Arcadia the last few years I've found it to be fairly poor, also the atmosphere is one of being herded in and somewhat discouraged from being there too long, the staff look fairly miserable and if you are on a special diet it's not easy to get anything suitable. So the buffet wins hands down.

Now, Azura a totally different scenario, the good was lovely, atmosphere really relaxing, the staff were amazing and when they saw me puzzling over the food (I didn't even have to ask) they sent for the chef who prepared fresh prawns in garlic butter for me. Ok so it wasn't very filling but I didn't care a bit because they made so much effort it was amazing.

After that cruise on Azura I have to say I think she is a new favourite. I do wish now I had written a thank you card but it was such a short cruise I forgot - I will email them I think.

When we were on Ventura in January as we boarded at 12.30 I thought we'd have to be waiting for an hour but no we were directed to the Cinnamon Restaurant and the buffet was extremely good, lots of hot offerings - the small Cornish Pasties were delicious and the prawns were lovely. The sparkling wine was flowing well and the wine waiters did a sterling job refilling glasses. For us it's a lovely beginning to a cruise - it beats the buffet hands down - only our opinion but then I tend to avoid the buffet whenever possible.

When we were on Ventura in January as we boarded at 12.30 I thought we'd have to be waiting for an hour but no we were directed to the Cinnamon Restaurant and the buffet was extremely good, lots of hot offerings - the small Cornish Pasties were delicious and the prawns were lovely. The sparkling wine was flowing well and the wine waiters did a sterling job refilling glasses. For us it's a lovely beginning to a cruise - it beats the buffet hands down - only our opinion but then I tend to avoid the buffet whenever possible.

I did hear a rumour that there was a buffet on a P&O ship but I dismissed it very quickly.

:) :). :)

Dai - absolutely! I loathe the buffet but my husband likes it for breakfast as he likes to make himself a cereal cocktail - looks a bit like a Knickerbocker Glory by the time he's finished. When we've had a suite it's not been a problem as we've either had breakfast in the suite or gone to the restaurant allocated to suite passengers - love the Epicurean on Azura, especially in the Caribbean when you can eat outside on the balcony. On previous cruises when we've not been in a suite I've agreed to go to the buffet some mornings and regretted it every time - puts me in a bad mood! Silly I know. Next year we are doing the long 65 nights on Aurora and we have a mini suite - we have, for the first time agreed to opt for an upgrade if one's offered but I doubt it will happen. So we will have the breakfast dilemma again. I have decided that if he wants to go to the buffet, that's fine, but I'll go to the restaurant and join a large table. If we're on an early trip we will always have room service. The only time I will agree to go to the buffet is if we're late back from a trip and the buffet is still serving lunch - my husband likes the curries! Although we do quite often just order from Room Service. I know that most items are now chargeable on the Room Service menu (apart from breakfast) but we're quite happy to pay for a wider choice than before.

Dai - absolutely! I loathe the buffet but my husband likes it for breakfast as he likes to make himself a cereal cocktail - looks a bit like a Knickerbocker Glory by the time he's finished. When we've had a suite it's not been a problem as we've either had breakfast in the suite or gone to the restaurant allocated to suite passengers - love the Epicurean on Azura, especially in the Caribbean when you can eat outside on the balcony. On previous cruises when we've not been in a suite I've agreed to go to the buffet some mornings and regretted it every time - puts me in a bad mood! Silly I know. Next year we are doing the long 65 nights on Aurora and we have a mini suite - we have, for the first time agreed to opt for an upgrade if one's offered but I doubt it will happen. So we will have the breakfast dilemma again. I have decided that if he wants to go to the buffet, that's fine, but I'll go to the restaurant and join a large table. If we're on an early trip we will always have room service. The only time I will agree to go to the buffet is if we're late back from a trip and the buffet is still serving lunch - my husband likes the curries! Although we do quite often just order from Room Service. I know that most items are now chargeable on the Room Service menu (apart from breakfast) but we're quite happy to pay for a wider choice than before.

Totally agree with you about the buffet. My husband and I hate it too, but we will go if we've missed lunch time in the Restaurant/Suite. We always have breakfast either in the Suite or allocated Restaurant. Agree with you about the Room Service menu as well. We also like the fridge being stocked with items rather than empty. If passengers want to take their own stuff they can always take the items out - it's not difficult, and I'm pretty sure their Room Steward won't mind!