Newbie for Princess to Alaska

marcyjane

Hi,

I have been back and forth trying to decided on an Alaska cruise for May 2006.

Due to vacation time and cost of flights, we have pretty much narrow down our choices to Norwegian & Princess. This morning I read on the board that the Norwegian Star was having problems and would go into dry dock in March so I sure didn't want to book that until I was sure the ship is in top shape.

I have to put in for my vacation time at work the 1st week of January so I need to get booked.

So if you here on the Princess board can tell me a little about the Princess Sun (best deck to book cabin location, food choices, etc) and the Alaska cruise that you experienced.

Also keep reading that most people like the Glacier Bay vs the Tracy Arm's (?) area, so can anyone tell me the difference and help me out on that.

At home for lunch and typing in a hurry hope you can read.

Thanks so much for any info:)

Marcyjane

Marcy what you need to do is the first there is an ongoing thread titled "Live from the Sun" and it ususally is on pagae 1. There is all sorts of info there. Second concerning Alaska go to the Ports of Call Board under alaska do searching athere in regards to Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm. There is alot of posts on those very subjects.

Marilyn

Marcyjane,

Hi!

While it's been a few years since I sailed the Sun - I have sailed her sister, the Dawn more recently - I would recommend a balcony cabin Riviera deck for Alaska. It's a great location, very quiet and easy access to the outside deck which affords wonderful views while viewing glaciers.

DH and I LOVE the Sun and Dawn. We find them very elegant and well cared for. Check out the Atrium Lounge for pre-dinner cocktails - it's the "crossroads" of the ship as the Wheelhouse Bar is perfect after dinner.

The pizzeria on deck 8 is terrific and a nice alternative dining venue. I could go on and on and I'm sure others will chime in here.

We just sailed on the Coral - southbound so I can tell you that College Fjord and Glacier Bay were both awesome. I've never been to Tracy Arm but others here say it too is incredible.

What ever you choose you can't go wrong with Alaska and this ship.

Let us know what you decide.;)

Went on the Sun this past May to Alaska. Loved it! Had a balcony on caribe deck. Some people say it is small on caribedeck but to me it wasn't small, it was spacious. It's a great ship. Plenty to do. Loved Glacier Bay. Sat on my balcony at watched the scenic views even in Glacier Bay. To me Glacier Bay is a must. Didn't do Tracy Arm. Saw more whales from my balcony than I did on my whale watching excursion. You'll love the Sun.

Went on the Sun this past May to Alaska. Loved it! Had a balcony on caribe deck. Some people say it is small on caribedeck but to me it wasn't small, it was spacious. It's a great ship. Plenty to do. Loved Glacier Bay. Sat on my balcony at watched the scenic views even in Glacier Bay. To me Glacier Bay is a must. Didn't do Tracy Arm. Saw more whales from my balcony than I did on my whale watching excursion. You'll love the Sun.

I have done the Sun Princess in Alaska twice and Dawn (sister ship) once and loved the ship. It is an excellent size with a wonderful promenade deck. However, in 2006 Sun will change from the one-ways between Vancouver and Whittier/Anchorage to a round-trip from Seattle. That changes Glacier Bay to Tracy Arm. I loved the Sun Princess and I loved Glacier Bay. If I had to choose, I would choose the Sun again and forgo Glacier Bay for Tracy Arm -- such a wonderful vessel.

One benefit of the round-trip is easier and/or cheaper airfare than the one-ways where an open-jaw is needed.

Marilyn (mii) oftens excellent suggestions above on how to research these boards. Have fun

The Sun indeed is a great ship for sailing Alaska, mainly the full front unobstructed front deck. However, for me the ship takes a distant second for what is OUTSIDE the ship. And Glacier Bay is far superior in my experince. Especially in May when the Twin Sawyers are frequently iced out, Glacier Bay is a highlight. Also the routing is lacking with the round trip Seattle sailings.

I sailed the NCL Star this year and had a great time, also a very nice ship with the Freestyle dining a big plus. So either way, certainly a compromise is needed. Make the one based on your priority for Alaska travel. All things equal, also factor heavy on cost and budget fully for costly excursions, you get only half a trip without them. :)

Archived