Chances of rerouting due to tropical storm

gritsnc

I was checking the National Hurricane Center page and the one tropical system has a high chance of developing into something within the next 5 days and will be right in our path during that time. How strong does the storm have to be in order for a ship to be rerouted to somewhere else? We went on a 4 day years ago and hit a bad storm. They didn't reroute us though. They just stayed out at sea. We were unable to dock in Freeport.

Reroutes to a different port are more rare. Most places are booked up well in advance. Missing the port and getting a sea day is far more common. Reversing the itinerary is also something they will do to avoid weather.

Of course if you do miss a port, then all port fees/taxes, plus excursions booked through Carnival are refunded to your S&S account.

I've been on 39 cruises and have only missed 4 ports due to weather. I sail mostly in the fall and late winter.

I always appreciate when they keep my safety first, and when they take the heat from irate passengers whos vacations are "ruined" by cancelling a port. If you want some good entertainment, go down to the Lobby deck after the announcement is made and watch all the drama.

I'm nervous about this, too. We're leaving Sunday on the Breeze. I'm not too concerned about missing a port but it's my son's first cruise since he was 2 and he gets a bit of motion sickness in cars. This was the, hey-let's-see-if-he-can-handle-a-cruise, cruise. Of course this storm is brewing. Ugh.

I was checking the National Hurricane Center page and the one tropical system has a high chance of developing into something within the next 5 days and will be right in our path during that time. How strong does the storm have to be in order for a ship to be rerouted to somewhere else? We went on a 4 day years ago and hit a bad storm. They didn't reroute us though. They just stayed out at sea. We were unable to dock in Freeport.

I dunno, to me, the only ones who can answer that will be the captain and crew of the ship you may be on. Folks can tell you stories of cruises they've been on that may have been impacted by a storm, but ultimately, the captain and crew will do whats best for the safety of the ship, passengers and crew, depending on the weather conditions.

I dunno, to me, the only ones who can answer that will be the captain and crew of the ship you may be on. Folks can tell you stories of cruises they've been on that may have been impacted by a storm, but ultimately, the captain and crew will do whats best for the safety of the ship, passengers and crew, depending on the weather conditions.

Exactly.

I can tell you in August years ago we could not dock in St. Martin because there was a tropical storm 400 miles off shore causing swells. He captain tried but the force of the water was too great and they could not secure the ship. We ended up with a sea day and adding a stop at Grand Turk at the end. As I had never been there it was a blessing and it's now a favorite port of call.

When cruising you simply have to be prepared to go with the flow. If you want a particular destination then you should plan a land based vacation there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm nervous about this, too. We're leaving Sunday on the Breeze. I'm not too concerned about missing a port but it's my son's first cruise since he was 2 and he gets a bit of motion sickness in cars. This was the, hey-let's-see-if-he-can-handle-a-cruise, cruise. Of course this storm is brewing. Ugh.

We were in a BAD storm in January a few years ago. The ship was rocking so bad. All during dinner one night, there was nothing but the sound of plates crashing in the kitchen, the waiters were dropping plates, our glasses and salt and pepper shakers shook on the table, etc. It was actually kind of fun. lol!

Start taking anti-nausea meds a couple days ahead of time. That's what I always do and I was fine.

What ports are you going to? We are supposed to go to Cozumel and Costa Maya. Right in the storms possible path. LOL

We were rerouted in November, 2015. We were supposed to dock in St. Thomas, but a tropical storm was causing problems so we were rerouted to Dominican Republic. Carnival has their brand new port there, but it was even fully open at that time. There were a couple shops open I think, but most of it was still being worked on. It opened like a month later I think. But they were starting to have ships dock there.

So yes, it does happen, but you won't know until a day or 2 before usually, if you're lucky. Just go with the flow and enjoy it, your captain will want to keep you all safe.

We were on a cruise out of Taiwan and missed all of our ports due to a typhoon hovering over Japan. LOL We had fun on the ship none the less! A day on a ship is better than any day in the office!!!

Hopefully, the captain and his crew will have enough of an advanced warning to avoid bad weather. You certainly wouldn't want to experience something like this: (skip the ad)

It's up to the Captain.

3 or 4 cruises had rough seas. Use to them. Captain will keep you safe. Just have to go with the flow.

Last October sailed the Conquest during Steven. Missed DR. But our lido pool became a wave pool due to the swells. It was actually fun. Had some rain no big deal.

Captain kept us out of harms way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums