Property Damage Caused by Cruise Line

Erzengel

Internal limits like you describe apply to things like jewelry, fine arts, firearms, cash, etc. A purse should be covered under the personal property limit. There can be a reduction in personal property coverage for losses while traveling but even that would still likely be more than enough to cover the cost of a LV purse.

Have you read the "Baggage" paragraph of a cruise contract? if you don't declare an excess value and pay a premium you are limited to a couple hundred bucks for total loss. Damage to one item would be prorated as a portion of the total.

We don't travel with "cherished gifts" or overly valuable or impossible to replace items. Too much can happen that are out of our control when traveling away from home. If it's important and would be a major loss for whatever reason, we leave it safely at home, not lug it around on vacation.

The item may be important to you for any variety of reasons - sentimental value, etc. - but it is only a physical item to the cruise line. You can't expect them to have the same attachment to it that you might have. So, yes, you are being idealistic. Be thankful that they are willing to give you original purchase price. They could have easily offered even less since it has been used.

The simple fact is that the item you lost did not cost you what it would cost today. It cost what it did when you purchased it. That is all you should be offered.

Totally agree. I was on a cruise in 2004 and was wearing very pretty rings with LARGE stones. A tablemate at dinner commented on my jewelry and asked if they were real. I said OF COURSE NOT! First, I was brought up with Italian foster siblings and my hands FLY when I talk and I could just see my rings (IF I had brought my real ones) go flying overboard. OR get lost or stolen. IF the fake ones go overboard or lost or stolen ... no biggie. AND I am NOT pompous or pretentious. I'll tell you where I bought it, how much I didn't pay for it, etc. :D

Just spoke to Princess which HAL is a part of, they'll give me the money that I paid for it but I purchased my wife's handbag a few years ago and prices have gone up. Now I have to spend more money to replace it. The representative said all they could do is pay us for what we paid not for how much it is to get a comparative item. (Note: The bag is no longer available).

I know some would say that's "fair" but on the other hand, the fact that I now have to pay more money to replace what we lost also is unfair.

Now I just have to see if they decide if they deem it damaged enough since I have to send the bag in with the receipt and if I am able to get a reimbursement.

Consider yourself lucky that you are getting that much, because all they really owe you is the current value of a used purse of that brand. Hopefully they won't send you a 1099 for the difference in current value and what you originally paid.

Consider yourself lucky that you are getting that much, because all they really owe you is the current value of a used purse of that brand. Hopefully they won't send you a 1099 for the difference in current value and what you originally paid.

You're kind of missing the point. Used value of the purse exceeds the original purchase price.

OP You can read all the fine print. I'll speculate the cruise line's contract, which you agreed to, limits their liability.

It's something we never had to think about. "Gala Nights", bring your nicest suit, best dress, evening bag, favorite jewelry, etc. I just never thought, heard or read that this was a possibility.

"Gala Nights" doesn't mean bring you nicest clothing and jewelry. It means dress up, not dress expensive. If people want to show off their finest outfits and most expensive jewelry, then they need to accept the risks.

You're kind of missing the point. Used value of the purse exceeds the original purchase price. ... .

Maybe to the OP, but not legally. Used value, known as depreciation, is based on original price, not on current price. So, used value is some fraction of original price.

Maybe to the OP, but not legally. Used value, known as depreciation, is based on original price, not on current price. So, used value is some fraction of original price.

Exactly my experience. No damage claims against a cruise line yet, but several others with airlines. Every time I had to provide verifiable receipts (Amazon keeps 'em all!), and depreciation was deducted. That is the way the world turns .... unless you are a master negotiator.

I learned to give this type of fight long, long ago. Take stuff that has as low value as you can manage if so worried about loss/damage.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

The Princess representative officially said I'd get what I paid, when I persisted, she INSISTED that the name brand doesn't go up in price and when I told her I was told by the name brand that it has, went back to I'd get what I paid for it.

However, the notion that I wanted more for sentimental value is not the case. It's that I can't purchase it today for the price I paid. Yes that's just how life is and economics works. As I had previously said, spending the money on a cruise and then having to spend more money to replace something that I had pre cruise is upsetting.

I'm not a new cruiser but never expected something like this to happen so it's pretty frustrating.

I don't know how long you've got? LOL

I'm not obstinate. Everything I'm reading here is pretty much telling me I should just take what Princess is giving me.

The hotel manager told me stories of their dry cleaning ruining suits/dresses but didn't go into full detail.

That was pretty much the point of me creating this thread. I wanted to hear if anyone had anything similar happen to them.