Property Damage Caused by Cruise Line

Erzengel

This may be all for naught because I'm still waiting to hear from the Cruise Line and hopefully they'll do right by us, but I'm curious if anyone has had this issue.

Last week while we were off the ship at a port, there was a water main break that flooded our room. Our suitcases were underneath the bed and they got wet.

We were notified when we got on board that our room was flooded and were given a temporary room. However, we did look and our former room was a disaster. Beds on top of each other, the sofa on top of another bed, etc.

Our suitcases were taken to be dried. However, inside one of the suitcases due to the size was my wife's designer hand bag.

The bag got wet and it's ruined. There's no way to "unwrinkle" leather that I'm aware of. I made a claim during the cruise but due to the amount of the claim, I had to take care of this after our cruise.

So I'm in the process of filing a claim with the Cruise line. Has anyone ever had or know of anyone who's had an issue like this.

Suggest you refer your issues with your cruise line's post-cruise customer relations office. You have to make available any document that may substantiate any money claim you may have, like repair or replacement costs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is something that should be covered by your travel insurance, after you get things resolved by Princess. If you didn't have travel insurance, losses like this are also covered by homeowners insurance. EM

This is something that should be covered by your travel insurance, after you get things resolved by Princess.

What happens if they were not on Princess?

Will Princess help them out ?:confused:

Just spoke to Princess which HAL is a part of, they'll give me the money that I paid for it but I purchased my wife's handbag a few years ago and prices have gone up. Now I have to spend more money to replace it. The representative said all they could do is pay us for what we paid not for how much it is to get a comparative item. (Note: The bag is no longer available).

I know some would say that's "fair" but on the other hand, the fact that I now have to pay more money to replace what we lost also is unfair.

Now I just have to see if they decide if they deem it damaged enough since I have to send the bag in with the receipt and if I am able to get a reimbursement.

Unusual - as both Princess and HAL are part of Carnival Corp. and not parent/subsidiary. In any event, being given purchase price, with no reduction for depreciation, is not something to complain about. But if the bag is "no longer available", how can it be said that "prices have gone up"?

Unusual - as both Princess and HAL are part of Carnival Corp. and not parent/subsidiary. In any event, being given purchase price, with no reduction for depreciation, is not something to complain about. But if the bag is "no longer available", how can it be said that "prices have gone up"?

I called the manufacturer for comparable style bags. The minimum price is more than I paid a few years ago.

Just spoke to Princess which HAL is a part of, they'll give me the money that I paid for it but I purchased my wife's handbag a few years ago and prices have gone up. Now I have to spend more money to replace it. The representative said all they could do is pay us for what we paid not for how much it is to get a comparative item. (Note: The bag is no longer available).

I know some would say that's "fair" but on the other hand, the fact that I now have to pay more money to replace what we lost also is unfair.

That's the normal way of doing things. Whether it's thru the cruiseline, the travel insurance, or your home owners insurance. They are only going to pay the fair market value up to the covered amount.

You can't total out your 10 year old BMW and expect to get replacement value.

Just spoke to Princess which HAL is a part of, they'll give me the money that I paid for it but I purchased my wife's handbag a few years ago and prices have gone up.

I am surprised Princess even got involved since you sailed on HAL :confused:

Maybe as suggested try Cunard or one of the other lines under the Carnival corp umbrella :rolleyes:

I called the manufacturer for comparable style bags. The minimum price is more than I paid a few years ago.

Obviously the bag had been used - at least to the extent of being stuffed in a suitcase and brought on a cruise.

Use of an object- be it a car, a shirt, a pair of shoes or a handbag - represents value the owner received from it - as well as value removed fro it.

If they really are willing to give you the full dollar amount paid for the thing, take the money and run before someone responsible comes along and offers you half of its original purchase price.

Obviously the bag had been used - at least to the extent of being stuffed in a suitcase and brought on a cruise.

Use of an object- be it a car, a shirt, a pair of shoes or a handbag - represents value the owner received from it - as well as value removed fro it.

If they really are willing to give you the full dollar amount paid for the thing, take the money and run before someone responsible comes along and offers you half of its original purchase price.

Designer handbags aren't depreciating that much. As I just posted above, mine is now worth more than double what I paid for it. It's not a car.

Edited by Cruise Junky

That's the normal way of doing things. Whether it's thru the cruiseline, the travel insurance, or your home owners insurance. They are only going to pay the fair market value up to the covered amount.

You can't total out your 10 year old BMW and expect to get replacement value.

Correct, with a qualification. Replacement value is just that - enough to replace that 10 year old BMW with another 10 year old BMW in the same condition. But certainly not enough to replace it with a brand new BMW that probably costs twice as much. That would be unrealistic.

Correct, with a qualification. Replacement value is just that - enough to replace that 10 year old BMW with another 10 year old BMW in the same condition. But certainly not enough to replace it with a brand new BMW that probably costs twice as much. That would be unrealistic.

Yeppers .... exactly the same this week on Hartmann suitcase destroyed by an airline. Luckily Amazon records still available for original purchase. Depreciation over four years from the purchase date; have to happy with 55% of original cost.

Sooooo .... exact replacements for damage caused by carriers (air or sea) is not the norm.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

This is something that should be covered by your travel insurance, after you get things resolved by Princess. If you didn't have travel insurance, losses like this are also covered by homeowners insurance. EM

Depending on the policy, sometimes there is a limit on the replacement cost of certain items. The wording would be something like "up to a value of $________". So, despite what the current cost of a replacement bag would be, say $250.00, if the insurance will only pay up to a set amount, like $200.00, then the claimant will only get that set amount.

This may be all for naught because I'm still waiting to hear from the Cruise Line and hopefully they'll do right by us, but I'm curious if anyone has had this issue.

Last week while we were off the ship at a port, there was a water main break that flooded our room. Our suitcases were underneath the bed and they got wet.

We were notified when we got on board that our room was flooded and were given a temporary room. However, we did look and our former room was a disaster. Beds on top of each other, the sofa on top of another bed, etc.

Our suitcases were taken to be dried. However, inside one of the suitcases due to the size was my wife's designer hand bag.

The bag got wet and it's ruined. There's no way to "unwrinkle" leather that I'm aware of. I made a claim during the cruise but due to the amount of the claim, I had to take care of this after our cruise.

So I'm in the process of filing a claim with the Cruise line. Has anyone ever had or know of anyone who's had an issue like this.

So sorry this happened to you. I would think the cruise line would reimburse for any damage to personal property due to their doing or "happening". I hope this gets resolved in your favor. Please keep us posted.

I likened it to purchasing a Peter Max (Since I was on a cruise ship.) 5 years ago, then having it ruined.

Yes, you got the money back and can still purchase another one. But what would be an okay amount for some of you to fork over 5 years later to replace something that was a cherished gift? $10? $100? What if was even more than that?

Maybe it's hard to empathize with my specific situation, but after spending money on a vacation, the last thing you want to do is spend more money to buy the exact same thing you had originally before the vacation. I'm not looking for pain and suffering money. I'm looking for the exact amount to buy something of equal value. If I had to contact the manufacturer and have them write me a letter to submit, I would have done that if that was acceptable.

Edit: Maybe I'm being to idealistic expecting more from the Cruise line, and maybe I should just be happy with what I got. But like I said, it's unfortunate and upsetting when something is destroyed through no fault of your own and in the end like I said, now I have to pay out of pocket to replace it.

Edited by Erzengel

I likened it to purchasing a Peter Max (Since I was on a cruise ship.) 5 years ago, then having it ruined.

Yes, you got the money back and can still purchase another one. But what would be an okay amount for some of you to fork over 5 years later to replace something that was a cherished gift? $10? $100? What if was even more than that?

Maybe it's hard to empathize with my specific situation, but after spending money on a vacation, the last thing you want to do is spend more money to buy the exact same thing you had originally before the vacation. I'm not looking for pain and suffering money. I'm looking for the exact amount to buy something of equal value. If I had to contact the manufacturer and have them write me a letter to submit, I would have done that if that was acceptable.

Edit: Maybe I'm being to idealistic expecting more from the Cruise line, and maybe I should just be happy with what I got. But like I said, it's unfortunate and upsetting when something is destroyed through no fault of your own and in the end like I said, now I have to pay out of pocket to replace it.

We don't travel with "cherished gifts" or overly valuable or impossible to replace items. Too much can happen that are out of our control when traveling away from home. If it's important and would be a major loss for whatever reason, we leave it safely at home, not lug it around on vacation.

The item may be important to you for any variety of reasons - sentimental value, etc. - but it is only a physical item to the cruise line. You can't expect them to have the same attachment to it that you might have. So, yes, you are being idealistic. Be thankful that they are willing to give you original purchase price. They could have easily offered even less since it has been used.

The simple fact is that the item you lost did not cost you what it would cost today. It cost what it did when you purchased it. That is all you should be offered.

Edited by SantaFeFan

It's something we never had to think about. "Gala Nights", bring your nicest suit, best dress, evening bag, favorite jewelry, etc. I just never thought, heard or read that this was a possibility.

In the end, I wanted to hear from others because I couldn't find anything really on google about this type of situation, that's why I created this thread if anyone had similar circumstances so I would know how to move forward.

Now I just have to see if they decide if they deem it damaged enough since I have to send the bag in with the receipt and if I am able to get a reimbursement.

You're fortunate if they'll refund the original value. Most judgements are for depreciated value, a fractional basis of original price.

Depending on the policy, sometimes there is a limit on the replacement cost of certain items. The wording would be something like "up to a value of $________". So, despite what the current cost of a replacement bag would be, say $250.00, if the insurance will only pay up to a set amount, like $200.00, then the claimant will only get that set amount.

Internal limits like you describe apply to things like jewelry, fine arts, firearms, cash, etc. A purse should be covered under the personal property limit. There can be a reduction in personal property coverage for losses while traveling but even that would still likely be more than enough to cover the cost of a LV purse.

I have a suitcase damaged twice on cruises. Once the forklift prongs went straight through the bag, the other time the hard case was dropped? Ended up with a big dent in it.

Both times after politely showing staff the damage it was fixed. Ripped bag returned with no sign of damage or repair, beautiful job, Celebrity. second time payment for bag received P&O Aust.

We were also delayed in departure port for two days due to ship being in cyclone, our extra hotel costs, our meals, transfer to ship were all refunded by P&O Aust. Also some on board credit.

Other people in similar circumstances did not get a full refund, one claimed a large bottle of Jonnie Walker as his meal expense!

Maybe I have been lucky but I feel I have been treated well on all occasions.