Splash Academy - Dolphins for 12 year old

thegoodlife247

My DD will be 12 when we sail. I am concerned about the age groups. Having a 12 year old middle schooler with 10 year old 4th graders is a little odd. I read there may be some "special" pre-teen type activities for just the 12 year olds. Can anyone comment on what these may include? She doesn't typically do the kids clubs on cruises but this will be our first on NCL. We are causing spring break so I know there will be lots of kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My son was in this group a few months ago. He was 10 about to turn 11. He did have fun. The morning session was usually the teen club takeover where they were in the 13-17 year old club. Has video games, air hockey if I remember. In any case he loved that. At night they met at the sports court and did things like Dodgeball and basketball.

Havng kids within a 3 year range together is not a huge difference. It may be something the older kid may not like as much as younger kids just because they may be more like the 13-17. Some kids just simply are older them their age and enjoy being with older peers and act like older peers

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I've had kids in all of the clubs (5 kids, 5 NCL cruises), and I don't remember anything special for 12 year old. Unfortunately, my 12 year olds didn't enjoy the clubs, I had an 11 year old on DCL who didn't like that club. It's a tough age!

Definitely send him, he might like it, or at least meet kids his age to hang out with. My youngest were 14 on our last cruise, while they liked the teen club, they used it mostly as a place to gather before doing other things (sports deck, hot tubbing, game room...).

My 11 year old was a bit too old for the Splash Academy last year, now we are going again next week. At least last summer on the Escape they didnt have any special activities for the 12 year olds. Since he is 12 now he still dont qualify for the teens club, which I understand are super strict on the ages (13-18). My 9 year old LOVED the academy and she cant wait to go again.

My daughter has done Dolphins for the last two years and will again this fall as a 12 yo. She tends to love it even though I would have thought the repetitive nature of the program would have made it slightly boring. We are considering let her check herself in and out on this upcoming cruise...not entirely sure. Last cruise we did, however, let her stay for late night play for an hour when her younger brother and sister had to come out when Splash Academy closed at 10 pm. For the $10 she had an extra hour of fun and considered it a treat. Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is where I got my information from. It's on the NCL FAQ page about kids programs:

"If a 12 year old is registered for Splash Academy, it is understood that 12 year olds need special attention and programs; therefore the Dolphins Youth Counselors offer more mature games/theme nights and schedule Entourage Take-Overs allowing the Dolphins to enjoy the lounge, video games, air hockey, foosball, music videos and much more.

In addition, whether registered for Splash Academy or not, the 12 year olds are invited to attend some of the Teen Counselor hosted activities* that take place outside of the Entourage Teen Lounge.

*These activities are not part of the Dolphin drop off program and the 12 year olds can come and go as they please. Please check with the Teen Counselor for activities and time slots. The schedule may vary per ship and itinerary.

This is where I got my information from. It's on the NCL FAQ page about kids programs:

"If a 12 year old is registered for Splash Academy, it is understood that 12 year olds need special attention and programs; therefore the Dolphins Youth Counselors offer more mature games/theme nights and schedule Entourage Take-Overs allowing the Dolphins to enjoy the lounge, video games, air hockey, foosball, music videos and much more.

In addition, whether registered for Splash Academy or not, the 12 year olds are invited to attend some of the Teen Counselor hosted activities* that take place outside of the Entourage Teen Lounge.

*These activities are not part of the Dolphin drop off program and the 12 year olds can come and go as they please. Please check with the Teen Counselor for activities and time slots. The schedule may vary per ship and itinerary.

Good find, thanks!