Uniworld China - Booked! Questions!

acruisefan

We are booked for October to China with Uniworld! Big decision and a lot of money! Visas are in process. For those who have done this tour, I have a few questions:

1) Clothing: Debating whether my husband should bring a sports jacket. He is leaning towards no, but he took one on a Danube cruise and used it several times for dinners out. We will be staying at great hotels - Ritz Carlton, Shangri-La, Waldorf Astoria, so I'm thinking a sports jacket might be appropriate. What do you think?

2) We will have a free day in Beijing (staying at RC) before the trip starts and a free day in Shanghai (Staying at WA) at the end. Are there any special sites or tours that you took to places not included by the Uniworld?

3) Restaurants - Recommendations for days when dinner is not included in our tour for Beijing, Xian or Shanghai

4) Any special souvenirs that you purchased in China?

5) Favorite moments on this trip?

Getting so excited!!

Thanks!

1. I brought a sports jacket and wore it several times. Common among many of the gentlemen, but not all.

2. You didn't State which tour you're on, but make sure you go to the summer palace. That will take a chunk of the day. I would also include the large city park just nw of the forbidden city. Wonderful to walk around and sightsee with a couple nice temples.

3. The RC is rather remote from town, but is next to a large mall with a lot of very good restaurants therein. Prices are a lot better than in RC.

In Xian, we were exhausted at ate the buffet in the hotel. Great food!

4. We brought home some wonderful artwork and a jade dragon.

5. Not sure about a favorite. Everyday was incredible!

Thanks Pinotlover - And we really enjoyed your description of the tour. It was definitely a factor for us in deciding on Uniworld.

We are on the China, Tibet and Yangtze tour. We did not include the Hong Kong extension. I'd like to explore Hong Kong on another trip. Perhaps as a starting or ending point for a cruise.

The Tibet part (Lhasa) looks pretty full for touring the sites, and included dinners etc, so I didn't ask about that, but if anyone has any suggestions about Lhasa, souvenirs, a restaurant or market that should not be missed, etc. Please let me know. We do plan to take altitude sickness pills prior to flying there to minimize any issues.

The Summer Palace is included in one of our tour days. I will check out the park.

Has anyone eaten at Black Sesame Kitchen?

Also, we might be interested in a food tour. Any recommendations?

Has anyone eaten at Black Sesame Kitchen?

Yes, it was the culinary highlight of our trip.

Certainly not to be missed if you can fit it into your schedule.

We went when they were operating out of the tiny hotel hidden in the hutongs.

We mastered the Beijing metro system and walked through the hutongs at night, added plenty of atmosphere and the expression on our guides face when we told her where we had been the following day was priceless :)

We also had Peking Duck at the Horizon restaurant which was attached to the Kerry Hotel, that is another one we would recommend.