Freaking out a little due to the weather forecast for our Ports of Call

Riley's Mom

I'm following this thread. We leave out of Miami on 8/21 for Key West and Cozumel. I usually try to avoid this time of year too but 8/21 is our 25th wedding anniversary!!! So that's why we chose it!

=====================================================================

Same here. We usually cruise in May and late October.

Happy Anniversary!

Hopefully , there is too much bad weather the captain will switch the port days. I want sunshine when we are on the beaches. Plus, we have a newbie with us, my daughters friend's very first cruise.

The OP's itinerary takes them to warm, muggy, wet locales where the months of August and September are more often than not rainy. The good thing is that unless there is a tropical storm the wind stays really mild this time of year. Nothing gets cancelled, excursions stay on. They don't close the scuba or the water sports or even the zip lines. And its so warm that a plastic poncho would make you more uncomfortable than the rain makes you wet. And thunderstorms last only about a half hour and then they move on quickly. Just don't expect brilliant sunshine...most days are overcast (saves on the sunscreen).

[

Why book at this time of the year if you are so concerned about the weather and hurricanes.

/QUOTE]

For some of us (me included) it is the only time that the entire family can go. It would not have been my ideal but it is the only week of the year that lined up with work and school schedules, and finding someone to care for my elderly father at home. We are usually "winter cruisers" - we know that we have to expect airport hassles with snowstorms in winter, and that for this trip we have to be prepared for potential hurricanes. As long as you plan ahead and are flexible and make the best of any weather or any other complication that could arise, it's usually all good.

You shouldn't worry about it. I just got off the Breeze on Sunday. We were on the same itinerary as you when tropical storm Franklin was crossing the area. The captain reversed our itinerary and moved our second sea day from the end to the beginning. We had beautiful weather in all ports. The captain announced we would stay about 200 nautical miles away from the storm. We had one cloudy and choppy sea day. No big deal.

But...we didn't hear anything until the day before we were to dock in Cozumel. They won't announce anything until the last minute.

Enjoy your cruise!

I was on the same cruise... Prior to the cruise, I think it showed rain for most of the week. We ended up with with one rainy and rough sea day is all... I was very pleased with our weather!

Every cruise we've ever taken to Cozumel, Progreso, Costa Maya etc... showed the same 80% chance of rain every single day during our cruise (summer, Christmas and Spring Break). If all the days we've didn't in ports I only recall it actually raining once. Don't look at those forecasts - it will only make you sad and is totally out of your control. 😊

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Just like 5inOK above, it seems the weather reports ALWAYS show 50%-80% in the Caribbean islands when we sail, and that is in the winter, NOT hurricane season....but very very rarely have we actually ever hit rain. But, none the less, I pack travel umbrellas and rain ponchos, but have never needed them (I guess if I hadn't packed them it would have rained all the time....LOL). But like OP, I always still look and get 'worried' needlessly in advance. ;p

Why book at this time of the year if you are so concerned about the weather and hurricanes.

================================================================

I am not concerned due to safety issues, I know Carnival will keep us safe. My only worry is that the ports will be rained out and we have excursions planned, beach days planned and are

hoping for sunny beach days.

I am a worrier and a planner. I keep watching the Natl Hurricane website and #1 will be exactly over our ports next week. Thats why I was wondering if we would be re-routed , etc.

What does carnival do about your excursions if a port is move to another day or skipped?

On the cruise I was on last week where we had an excursion booked through Carnival on a port day that was moved from Wednesday to Thursday. Carnival simply moved everything over. We even were able to use the same excursion tickets. Very easy.

For the other 2 days that were moved, we had excursions booked outside of Carnival. We had to contact those companies while on board to get the reservations moved.

BB

I am not concerned due to safety issues' date=' I know Carnival will keep us safe. My only worry is that the ports will be rained out and we have excursions planned, beach days planned and are

I am a worrier and a planner. I keep watching the Natl Hurricane website and #1 will be exactly over our ports next week. Thats why I was wondering if we would be re-routed , etc.[/quote']

We were on the Escape last week. The weather forecast showed rain at every port. Our first two stops, a little sprinkle in Roatan, none at Harvest Key Belize and on the morning of Costa Maya, it was pouring rain, but about two hours later, it was beautiful all day and Cozumel was sunny, no rain.

You will be fine.

I am not concerned due to safety issues' date=' I know Carnival will keep us safe. My only worry is that the ports will be rained out and we have excursions planned, beach days planned and are

I am a worrier and a planner. I keep watching the Natl Hurricane website and #1 will be exactly over our ports next week. Thats why I was wondering if we would be re-routed , etc.[/quote']

Just so you appreciate as I'm sure you do. A reroute decision is a very high level change only undertaken when sea conditions are such that safety is a concern. You might miss a port because of an inability to safely dock, but the captain is not going to diverge because folks need to use an umbrella. None of these systems even has a 50% prospect of becoming a Tropical Depression at this moment. It rains in the Caribbean. It might rain on your planned beach day. But there's nothing in the current models that suggests for a moment that you're not going exactly where and when your itinerary indicates.

I've had the same concerns before on cruises & land vacations. The weather reports are just not that accurate. We thought our May vacation in La Romana was gonna be rainy every day. On arrival day it had been raining, but stopped by the time we got there. It rained for about 5 minutes on a few other days during the week. On cruises, we've encountered a pretty good rainstorm in Cozumel once. It poured, but didn't last long and was sunny the rest of the day.

1) it isnt a hurricane

2) it isn't named

3) from Dr. Jeff Masters: "ensemble forecasts from Wednesday night suggest that PTC 9 may not make it through the central Caribbean. More than 60% of the European model ensemble members from 0Z Thursday, and more than 90% of the GFS members, bring PTC 9 to tropical storm strength, but the majority of both ensembles call for PTC 9 to weaken or dissipate Monday in the central Caribbean."