Why do people pick connecting cabins when they don't need them?!

Barnes11

Why do people purchase a house with four bedrooms when they only have two people in their family? Shouldn't they save those larger houses for those who "need them?" This makes about as much sense as your silly complaint. Book earlier and choose the cabin you think you need.

Some comments are just ignorant. This proves your level of intelligence. Thanks to your sarcasm...you sound like a fool. Not even close to the same thing.

I find myself frustrated with how bad most of the cruise line's websites are. It seems like a simple fix to give a person some sort of notice that they are booking a connecting cabin at the time of their booking if they are only booking one room, especially seeing as many posters said they were not aware.
If you book in the cruise line's website, it does show that the cabin you are booking is a connecting cabin.

attachment.php?attachmentid=410553&stc=1&d=1504725810

Those little triangles between two cabins indicate that they are connecting. There's a key at the bottom of the display that makes this clear.

attachment.php?attachmentid=410551&stc=1&d=1504725545

Note that in this example, there is no way to avoid selecting a connecting cabin. It is the only choice left.

Capture2.JPG.b811f401a1c976d7e9c8092aebb96bea.JPG

Capture3.JPG.1c01a71748767b78f8e421f19c4b5d59.JPG

If you book in the cruise line's website, it does show that the cabin you are booking is a connecting cabin.

attachment.php?attachmentid=410553&stc=1&d=1504725810

Those little triangles between two cabins indicate that they are connecting. There's a key at the bottom of the display that makes this clear.

attachment.php?attachmentid=410551&stc=1&d=1504725545

Note that in this example, there is no way to avoid selecting a connecting cabin. It is the only choice left.

I know that. Thank you. Some posters had said they did not know that or that they booked by phone and were not told the cabin they were getting was connecting.

I know that. Thank you. Some posters had said they did not know that or that they booked by phone and were not told the cabin they were getting was connecting.
Hopefully then we've helped them become better advocates of their own interests, and of yours, when they book future cruises.

Wow....relax people. I really was not that angry. Just frustrated. We need a connecting room because my boys are 7 and 9 and my husband and I like a little privacy so we can "do it". I understand for booking purposes I need to have one adult in each cabin, but for actual sleeping arrangements we put the boys in one cabin and us in the other with the door slightly open. I am not comfortable with them in a completely separate cabin. I usually book about 6-8 months out once we have my husband's work schedule. He is required to choose all his vacation up front for the year. It is very nice that some of you have more flexibility with when you can cruise....more power to you. My original post was an honest question. I for one do not want an extra door in my room if I don't need it, for example when we do not have our boys with us. Sorry to those of you who were SO easily offended by my legitimate question and felt the need to make useless comments. Thanks to those of you who had honest answers. I find myself frustrated with how bad most of the cruise line's websites are. It seems like a simple fix to give a person some sort of notice that they are booking a connecting cabin at the time of their booking if they are only booking one room, especially seeing as many posters said they were not aware. Peace

Well stated .....I usually book thru a TA. He suggests what rooms are available in the category I request and I simply pick the one I want. In the future I check out the connecting situation.

As someone who just got out of a connecting cabin, I will say when I booked (on line, myself) the other half of the connect was already booked. Since I was booking two cabins, had it been available I would probably have chosen them both. However, it worked out better in the end. We had cove balconies, and although the rooms didn't connect, our balconies did. Strangely, it would not have been possible to open the divider (there are two different kinds) between the balconies of the connecting rooms. Not sure the logic of that...

So you are saying that someone hacked your account and entered this post, instead of having entered it yourself:Okay well thanks for letting us know.

Regardless, you are still skating past the point. I asked you, "What are you and the majority of other passengers willing to give up to take away choices from passengers, thereby perhaps costing the cruise line sales in response, as you described?"

You really musta had some bad tacos or something. Both statements support the same point of view. What I have proposed repeatedly is connecting cabins be held in back similar fashion to trips and quads, until such restrictions limit availability to all at which time they could be opened up. I don't see this as restricting choices, rather preserving choices. This would not require increasing costs or changing Cabin categories to look like airport codes as you proposed.

If I like a pair of shoes, I shouldn't be stuck with a size 9 left and size 10 right because the store allowed the sale of the reverse month earlier. And the solution is not to go shoe shopping earlier. And booking a connecting cabin when you are just buying one and there is a cabin in the same class/price a few doors down without the door strikes me as buying 2 left shoes. And I don't NEED a left and right shoe in the same size, but it would be nice....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nealstuber

You still are skating past the point, refusing to address the question and therefore refusing to acknowledge the crux of the matter, and I suspect that you aren't going to change. You want what you want and evidently have no interest in understanding why things aren't aligned with your preferences. That's your preogative.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Call me obtuse, but I'm not understanding what question I have not answered or what matter is the Crux.

There are people who like connecting cabins who can't get them and there are those getting them when they'd rather not have them. I'm not saying create more cabin classes, or restrict people from buying the class they want when they want. If all of the stand alone cabins in a class are booked, then absolutely open the pairs, just like they do with trips and quads now.

I'm not insisting that things be aligned to my preference, just trying to prevent it from being mischaracterized.

I accept connecting doors now, and maybe someday I'll take young grandkids on a cruise and would have to settle for something other than connecting cabins. Neither situation is a deal breaker for me.

While this thread started with one poster saying he/she could not get connecting cabins when he wanted them it ended up showing that there were many people getting connecting cabins when they don't.

Sure there are pros and cons to keeping pairs available until the category is otherwise booked.

Call me obtuse, but I'm not understanding what question I have not answered
So that means you didn't read the reply I posted to you yesterday afternoon. Perhaps you should do that.

I'm not insisting that things be aligned to my preference, just trying to prevent it from being mischaracterized.
I think we're going to just have to agree to disagree about that and let the matter drop.

So that means you didn't read the reply I posted to you yesterday afternoon. Perhaps you should do that..

No, that means I did read your reply and I did not find any question I did not answer. Perhaps you should look more carefully for the answers you asked for.

But thanks for the advice on message board etiquette - coming from such a respected member it means a lot.