POA Deluxe Owners Suite perks and service

papa B me

We have booked the Deluxe Owners suite for the POA for Feb 2019. As I've researched this cruise there are more negative reviews then any other trip I've ever taken. However I think I have my expectations adjusted to understand to view this more as a floating hotel to see as much of the Islands as possible in a short period of time without packing and unpacking. I looked at a luxury line yesterday for a Hawaii cruise that spent 4 days at sea getting there, 4 days in the islands, then 5 days at sea getting back. So I feel good about my decision on the POA.

My question for those who have sailed in a DOS is did you feel booking this level of cabin on the POA alleviated some of the service complaints often voiced in the reviews? Did the level of attention with the butler and concierge offset some of the lack of attention that many voice about the crew as a whole?

I've combed the reviews and obviously there aren't many on the DOS as there is only 1 on the POA. So any input as to perks or how you got the most out of the DOS would be appreciated. I've seen conflicting reports where some say the DOS receives all the same perks as the other NCL ships but most say that it is somewhat different on POA.

Any and all advice and observations would be appreciated as I begin looking forward and planning this cruise.

We sailed POA 2006 and said would never go again. Reviews had gotten better and we did the 2016 Trans-Pacific trip in one of the OS.

Night and day difference in service. POA seems very much like the other NCL ships now. DOS on POA will get the same perks as other NCL ships except no 3 bottles of booze but will get 3 wine, 1 champagne, unlimited in room water and soda plus coffee machine.

Service from various butlers and concierge can vary widely so you won't know until you get onboard.

Someone else asked similar question in the last couple weeks so maybe look for that thread to see what other people have said.

No special area/restaurant for suite guests to eat breakfast and lunch?? I could have read this totally wrong...lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Suite guests still get breakfast and lunch at Cagney's and they still get free room service. Just can't order from the Cagney's menu for room service.

We have booked the Deluxe Owners suite for the POA for Feb 2019. As I've researched this cruise there are more negative reviews then any other trip I've ever taken. However I think I have my expectations adjusted to understand to view this more as a floating hotel to see as much of the Islands as possible in a short period of time without packing and unpacking. I looked at a luxury line yesterday for a Hawaii cruise that spent 4 days at sea getting there, 4 days in the islands, then 5 days at sea getting back. So I feel good about my decision on the POA.

My question for those who have sailed in a DOS is did you feel booking this level of cabin on the POA alleviated some of the service complaints often voiced in the reviews? Did the level of attention with the butler and concierge offset some of the lack of attention that many voice about the crew as a whole?

I've combed the reviews and obviously there aren't many on the DOS as there is only 1 on the POA. So any input as to perks or how you got the most out of the DOS would be appreciated. I've seen conflicting reports where some say the DOS receives all the same perks as the other NCL ships but most say that it is somewhat different on POA.

Any and all advice and observations would be appreciated as I begin looking forward and planning this cruise.

We did our POA cruise in an Owners Suite, and had no complaints about service. Like you, we'd read that POA was very different, and perhaps not as good as the other NCL ships. However, after the cruise was over we decided that the level of service isn't any different from the rest of the NCL ships. What is different is a somewhat subtle difference in attitude. There's nothing wrong with this difference, it's just....different. If you'd like to know more, there's a link in my signature to my review of the POA cruise.

Bottom line for us: We'd be happy to sail the POA again, and I doubt you'll be disappointed with the DOS.

Most of the complaints about the service on the POA is due to the fact that the crew are American. As we all know they do not always have the incentive to work their hardest as the international crew members do.

We witnessed no difference in the quality of service on the POA DOS versus other ships higher level of suites. We had breakfast every day for two weeks in our DOS and lunches probably half the days. We could order anything we wanted - zero restrictions. Each of the two weeks we even had two dinner parties in the suite fully catered to by the butler. We had dinner probably half the time in our suite. The nights the butler was off he arranged a replacement butler. Don't worry about the level of service. In the POA DOS you are the owner's of the ship. The concierge bent over backwards to cater to us.

We did our POA cruise in an Owners Suite, and had no complaints about service. Like you, we'd read that POA was very different, and perhaps not as good as the other NCL ships. However, after the cruise was over we decided that the level of service isn't any different from the rest of the NCL ships. What is different is a somewhat subtle difference in attitude. There's nothing wrong with this difference, it's just....different. If you'd like to know more, there's a link in my signature to my review of the POA cruise.

Bottom line for us: We'd be happy to sail the POA again, and I doubt you'll be disappointed with the DOS.

Thank you for the link to your review. It confirmed my perceptions of what to expect. Can't wait for this trip. Fortunately we have a couple of other trips between now and then to keep me occupied planning. Lol

We witnessed no difference in the quality of service on the POA DOS versus other ships higher level of suites. We had breakfast every day for two weeks in our DOS and lunches probably half the days. We could order anything we wanted - zero restrictions. Each of the two weeks we even had two dinner parties in the suite fully catered to by the butler. We had dinner probably half the time in our suite. The nights the butler was off he arranged a replacement butler. Don't worry about the level of service. In the POA DOS you are the owner's of the ship. The concierge bent over backwards to cater to us.

Did you purchase a specialty restaurant package and order room service from them? How did you plan your dinner parties? Did you pick the menus or did the butler? Do you mind how you handled tipping the butler? Did you tip specifically for the dinner parties immediately or just part of your overall tip at the end? I appreciate your input.