Port of Southampton

Hi Cindy,

You'll have been heading into Southampton about 7.15 - 7.30, just at the beginning of the local commuter time.

And from Southampton to Portsmouth at about 8am - right in the thick of it.

I'm quite convinced that everybody who lives in Southampton works in Portsmouth, and everybody who lives in Portsmouth works in Southampton :rolleyes:

On the other hand, I recall heading from Chicago O'Hare to Detroit at the same time of day :eek:

JB :)

Yes! I couldn't believe the amount of traffic heading into London from that far away! I mean, I know people do it here in Chicago too, but that was still crazy. We were lucky that we weren't in any hurry at all.

And yes, the trip from Southampton to Portsmouth was very slow for the most part.

Oh, and there are just so many cameras on the roads we were on, so there was no speeding for our driver. I have a bit of a leadfoot myself ;p so there was no way I was driving when we had a car the weekend after our cruise.

And if you drove from Chicago to Detroit during rush hour, then you know the pain as well. NOTHING is measured in actual distance here in Chicago, it's all in time... "Oh, that's about 30 minutes away!" Even if that's only 8 miles! LOL!

• 8 months later...
We just got back from our British isles cruise last night. I recommend going early to see more of London (or another British city or town). We met people who had a horror story of arriving the morning of our cruise. They had wait time in Heathrow, wait time for the coach to fill, wait time to get into the cruise terminal since they arrived so early, and then wait time before boarding commenced. Since they did not have any type of priority boarding, it was after 1 before they got on the ship. It's not a relaxing way to start.

We stayed three nights in London, took the train to Southampton for one night there (to see the Tudor House and Gardens and the SeaCity Museum's Titanic exhibit), then boarding our ship. We took the cruise line's transfer to Heathrow after the cruise. It was easiest for our early afternoon flight.

In retrospect, I wish we had added more days after our cruise like some of the people we met on board.

I'm flying into LGW and am planning to take the direct train to Southampton the day before our cruise departs. Can you tell me if there were luggage restrictions? Were there plenty of cabs at the train station to take to your hotel?

Thanks!

Can you tell me if there were luggage restrictions?
Trains don't have formal luggage restrictions, but obviously you will need to move your own luggage to the train, put it on board and stow it yourself wherever you can find space.

According to an old thread theres a restriction on how many sheep you can take :D but the only limitation for you is how much you can haul.

Yes, there's a taxi rank outside the station and normally no shortage of taxis.

Be aware that there's been a long-running dispute between management and staff on this rail line and there have been occasional strikes. There are no wildcat strikes kin the U.K., check the rail website a few days ahead for any disruption.

According to an old thread theres a restriction on how many sheep you can take :D but the only limitation for you is how much you can haul.

Some of my finest work [emoji41][emoji207][emoji207][emoji207][emoji207]

Sent from my iPad using Forums