British Open Cruise

Vincent123

There is no such thing as the 'British Open'.

I think TN Vol Fan is referring to

Royal Birkdale, where the 2017 Open Championship was staged?

One can always find a better way to events like this than the Cel X trips -previous year at Royal Troon the buses took forever in traffic I was told - yet the train station is right beside the course.

Golf fans should seriously try to get to next years Open. Carnoustie is (IMHO) the best Open Course , have been lucky to play all but Royal St. George's. Shot 91 89 in the Boys Championship there and didn't hit a bad shot or putt. Proper golf

- lets hope for a stiff breeze [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is no such thing as the 'British Open'.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The rest of the world still calls it the "British Open";p and I wish those cruises were just a little less expensive. I would like to make it to the 2020 Open at St Andrews. It's been way too long since I've been there.

We are booked on the 2018 version of this cruise. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with past excursions for golfers on the ship.

- Did Celebrity offer a group of courses to play?

-Could you book individual courses, or did you have to book them all?

-How would you rate the Celebrity golf excursions?

Any info along these lines would be appreciated!

Doug

You can book golf packages on your own, just start googling. Just as when we sail the Caribbean my husband books his own golfing (at different courses from the ship) I'm quite sure you can do the same anywhere else in the world.

We're going on the Azamara Norway cruise which follows the Ireland/Scotland/Open Championship cruise and we're going a week or so ahead of time and booking our Open tickets independently as well as golf in the area. Actually we've already got our course tickets and parking for championship Sunday. Got it from The One Club.

Edited by ClaudiaB

You can book golf packages on your own, just start googling. Just as when we sail the Caribbean my husband books his own golfing (at different courses from the ship) I'm quite sure you can do the same anywhere else in the world.

We're going on the Azamara Norway cruise which follows the Ireland/Scotland/Open Championship cruise and we're going a week or so ahead of time and booking our Open tickets independently as well as golf in the area. Actually we've already got our course tickets and parking for championship Sunday. Got it from The One Club.

Thanks for the reply Claudia. I have already beeen in touch with an independent golf package supplier. I was just curious as to what, if anything , Celebrity might offer. I have done some searches, but have not found anything that describes a golf excursions that Celebrity offers. Maybe they just don't offer anything. It seems to me like they would, if they offer a British Open cruise, but maybe they don't.

Doug

We took the Open cruise to St Andrews in 2016, booked our own tickets and took public transportation to the course. As I recall, there were several golf outings arranged on our roll call. You may want to check with yours when the time gets closer.

Thanks for the reply Claudia. I have already beeen in touch with an independent golf package supplier. I was just curious as to what, if anything , Celebrity might offer. I have done some searches, but have not found anything that describes a golf excursions that Celebrity offers. Maybe they just don't offer anything. It seems to me like they would, if they offer a British Open cruise, but maybe they don't.

Doug

A Celebrity shore excursion contact told me that they are working on excursions to the Open but have not yet finalized any to be posted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would you be able to share any details such as prices & travel arrangements? I'm having problems registering on The One Club website.

Would you be able to share any details such as prices & travel arrangements? I'm having problems registering on The One Club website.

We joined the one club while at Royal Birkdale (got to take a picture of us with the Claret Jug...I don't know if was the actual one or not...probably not). I can access the site and tickets are for sale.

I would NOT buy tickets in advance, unless you are absolutely sure what day(s) you are going to go.

We just walked up and bought our tickets...it probably took 5 minutes extra. They didn't take Amex (I figured that would be a possibility...so had Visa card with me).

If you happen to want to buy some kind of "hospitality" ticket you would need to buy them in advance, but just for a general admission ticket I wouldn't buy in advance.

It cost us $208 for our tickets (just got our cc statement), and our train tickets were around 10 pounds or so.

The ship had the EXACT same golf tickets, plus a round trip bus ride for something like 3 or 4 hundred dollars per person. The only thing extra with that was a golf pro went on the bus with you and I assume had some commentary on the way to/from event.

Very easy to do this on you own!

We joined the one club while at Royal Birkdale (got to take a picture of us with the Claret Jug...I don't know if was the actual one or not...probably not). I can access the site and tickets are for sale.

I would NOT buy tickets in advance, unless you are absolutely sure what day(s) you are going to go.

We just walked up and bought our tickets...it probably took 5 minutes extra. They didn't take Amex (I figured that would be a possibility...so had Visa card with me).

If you happen to want to buy some kind of "hospitality" ticket you would need to buy them in advance, but just for a general admission ticket I wouldn't buy in advance.

It cost us $208 for our tickets (just got our cc statement), and our train tickets were around 10 pounds or so.

The ship had the EXACT same golf tickets, plus a round trip bus ride for something like 3 or 4 hundred dollars per person. The only thing extra with that was a golf pro went on the bus with you and I assume had some commentary on the way to/from event.

Very easy to do this on you own!

Thanks for the info. I thought tickets, even general admission, would sell out in advance, but you didn't find that to be true this past Open, correct?

How long did you spend there that day? Wondering if all the walking via general admission will be very tiring, especially for my wife. Any idea what kind of hospitality tickets are available?

Thanks for the info. I thought tickets, even general admission, would sell out in advance, but you didn't find that to be true this past Open, correct?

How long did you spend there that day? Wondering if all the walking via general admission will be very tiring, especially for my wife. Any idea what kind of hospitality tickets are available?

We thought that as well...but doing research found out that you can just buy them day of event...Also found out you can bring in food/beverages/phones/some cameras and more (all detailed on their website)...we just brought our cell phones, but saw all those I listed.

As far as "tiring"...that is up to you...We walked the entire course over the almost 12 hours we were there...But that is totally up to you.

At first we mostly wandered (after taking pictures of ourselves on the fairway crossover with the 18th green as backdrop!) and got our bearings...saw a couple of "games" (that is what they call each pairing!) and then took a seat at the 3rd green to watch until the final group passed...we sat there for a couple hours.

Then wandered some more...got some food...then wandered again.

Finally ended up at the grandstand at the 18th hole...They have "reserved" (meaning paid) seating AS WELL AS free first-come first-served seating. We watched the last 15 or so groups there...(could see the approach shot, and of course the chips/putts)...That was cool!

The VIP type tickets are 400 pounds or so and up.

We thought that as well...but doing research found out that you can just buy them day of event...Also found out you can bring in food/beverages/phones/some cameras and more (all detailed on their website)...we just brought our cell phones, but saw all those I listed.

As far as "tiring"...that is up to you...We walked the entire course over the almost 12 hours we were there...But that is totally up to you.

At first we mostly wandered (after taking pictures of ourselves on the fairway crossover with the 18th green as backdrop!) and got our bearings...saw a couple of "games" (that is what they call each pairing!) and then took a seat at the 3rd green to watch until the final group passed...we sat there for a couple hours.

Then wandered some more...got some food...then wandered again.

Finally ended up at the grandstand at the 18th hole...They have "reserved" (meaning paid) seating AS WELL AS free first-come first-served seating. We watched the last 15 or so groups there...(could see the approach shot, and of course the chips/putts)...That was cool!

The VIP type tickets are 400 pounds or so and up.

What day (Sat or Sun) did you go?

We went Saturday.

Before we found out you could buy tickets at gate, we debated about which day to go and really didn't have a preference (I would have actually rather gone Friday before the cut to see some other players)...when we found out you didn't need to buy in advance we thought it best to wait and then if one day or the other had bad weather forecast we would pick the other.

In the end, both days had similar forecasts, but on Sunday they were having a "rail strike"...We didn't want to risk the effects of that happening...in the end they did have the strike, but they did run the train to/from golf course.

We went Saturday.

Before we found out you could buy tickets at gate, we debated about which day to go and really didn't have a preference (I would have actually rather gone Friday before the cut to see some other players)...when we found out you didn't need to buy in advance we thought it best to wait and then if one day or the other had bad weather forecast we would pick the other.

In the end, both days had similar forecasts, but on Sunday they were having a "rail strike"...We didn't want to risk the effects of that happening...in the end they did have the strike, but they did run the train to/from golf course.

Good point about the weather. Thanks.