another tipping thread

drkitkat123

How much should you give someone who delivers room service, breakfast, lunch or dinner

We give $3 to $5 depending if it's just coffee or desert to a full meal. If you have a butler it's a different story.

But, like all tipping threads, it is a personal choice and there are some that wouldn't agree with us (which is really OK)>

Cheers,

John

Caroldoll,

Quote "Now on the cruise lines, I give the butler a list on check on day of what WE expect and a small tip as I think a list is over the top. If he delivers that or better, than the tip is many moons higher."

Caroldoll, could you please share with us your butler list? We've had a butler, and we're going to have butlers on many more cruises, and I confess, I can never think of what to have them do. They always say they're eager to do anything and then we stand there and look at each other and say we don't really have anything.

Can you help???

I'm with you, GolfGuy. Recently back from our first experience in Butler-land. Poor fellow was always trying to do stuff, but there really wasn't anything for him. His favorite: "I'll bring canapes at 4pm". Now that's what I needed -- more food!

Still, Oceania tacks on the butler gratuity, whether you use them or not, so that's just the way it is -- goes with the bigger room.

The problem we have got to though is tipping is trying to achieve two separate things which may or may not be related. Subsidising wages and rewarding or encouraging good service.

This is a nice summary of the issue--depending on which one is focused on would likely lead to what one thinks is the right approach. I think, rightly or wrongly, that tips on cruise ships are to make up for low wages--that may not be the system I think is best, but this is the world we live in.