Boarding time QM2

njkruzer

On my "dry run" over to Red Hook on the ferry from Wall Street a couple of months ago, I strolled down Van Brunt Street to the Fairway Market (and beyond). I was quite surprised at how gentrified the neighborhood has become in just the past few years, with a number of restaurants, galleries, and boutique-y shops along Van Brunt Street.

If you can drop your luggage at the terminal so as to be unencumbered, and if the weather is good, you will find it a pleasant walk and a not uninteresting way to pass some time.

https://goo.gl/maps/WKAraPsokfS2

I wonder how active it will be at 10 am on a Thursday, though.

I too am disappointed of the turn this thread has taken. The original question wasn't unusual - somebody gets a late boarding time but would like to be on the ship earlier. In a perfect world everyone who wanted to board at 11 would be able to do so. In post #3 I gave what I thought was an accurate observation of my last experience.

In the recent past the entire ship would have been cleared by 10 or 10:30. Now it's taking much longer. You have disembarking passengers who post to ask what time they should schedule their car. What should they be told? 10:30? 11? Later?

There are many passengers in your situation. They arrive on an early flight and have no place to go except straight to the cruise terminal. If they were the only arrivals it would not be a problem. Unfortunately an increasing number of passengers are arriving early just because they want to. Now add that to the delays in disembarkation and the two groups overwhelm the local roads.

So I gave the OP what I thought was a logical and well referenced answer. Perhaps not.

To paraphrase countless high school (American) football coaches, I'm simply trying to be part of the solution, and not part of the problem.

I'm the op and was sorry to see the direction this thread took. Just looking for basic info for our first Cunard cruise and first embarkation in Red Hook. Btw spoke with Cunard today about another matter and the person said to definitely board at noon and not wait until 3! Sutprised.

I'm the op and was sorry to see the direction this thread took. Just looking for basic info for our first Cunard cruise and first embarkation in Red Hook. Btw spoke with Cunard today about another matter and the person said to definitely board at noon and not wait until 3! Sutprised.

That's good news. I hope that the process goes smoothly for you.

The boarding plan was intended to have all of the disembarking passengers off and on their way long before the embarking passengers were due to arrive. This past year however, delays in US Immigration have thrown the proverbial monkey wrench into the whole process. Therefore the earlier embarking passengers arrive the more likely they are to encounter heavy traffic and long lines. I wish that wasn't the case but it is the way it is.