Is there a way to see Glacier Bay on our own before a cruise?

LoveCoffee

We like the Itinerary of many of the Celebrity cruises, and we also prefer Celebrity, but they don't go to Glacier Bay. If we pick a cruise that leaves from Seward, is there a way we can fly in a few days early and do Glacier Bay on our own? We figured there has to be tours.

Our 2nd choice is HAL, but we are having a hard time finding an itinerary we want that includes Juneau. Plus, we want to see Seward and HAL doesn't go there. Maybe we could fly in and do Seward on our own before a HAL cruise.

Thanks.

Yes, you can fly into Gustavus and stay in Gustavus or the Lodge at Glacier Bay National Park - check out the park's website for details. The park has small boat tours of the bay and you get really close to the glaciers. We did this a few years ago (stayed in the park) and loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

All southbound one-way HAL cruises start out of Seward, visit Glacier Bay and stop in Juneau. What about those do not interest you?

Aslo , all northbound HAL cruises go to Seward, stop at Juneau, anda all day cruise through Glacier Bay

where are you flying from? It probably wouldn't make sense to fly into Anchorage, only to fly south again.

A visit to Glacier Bay is usually done out of Juneau and you fly into Gustavus. Alaska Airlines has one flight daily, about 20 minutes. I went there as a long weekend out of Seattle ..... fantastic experience.

If you look on the 2nd page of this forum, you'll find a similar question about visiting Glacier Bay. I provided info and links there.

Also, the town web site has info on transportation and lodging. http://www.gustavusak.com/

All southbound one-way HAL cruises start out of Seward, visit Glacier Bay and stop in Juneau. What about those do not interest you?

That is our 2nd choice and is the one we will most likely go with. We've only done one HAL cruise in the past - the reason we haven't returned is because of the number of smokers - my hair and clothes smelled like smoke daily. This was 3 yrs ago and maybe things have changed, but it has made me nervous to sail HAL again.

That is our 2nd choice and is the one we will most likely go with. We've only done one HAL cruise in the past - the reason we haven't returned is because of the number of smokers - my hair and clothes smelled like smoke daily. This was 3 yrs ago and maybe things have changed, but it has made me nervous to sail HAL again.

If that was due to the smoking on the balconies, that is now not allowed.