Ships as temporary housing

richrhon1

I think its going to be a few cruises before they can sail again. I'll be surprised if its sooner.
We will find out on Saturday. I wouldn't be so sure of the assumptions you've made.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

A really silly thread. Where would you dock ships in Houston? The ship channel is too small. Galveston is miles away. Once the flooding subsides situation in Houston different. Houston is 50' ABOVE sea level while NOLA 10' BELOW. Houston will drain out in a few days after the rain stops and cleanup can begin.

A really silly thread. Where would you dock ships in Houston? The ship channel is too small. Galveston is miles away. Once the flooding subsides situation in Houston different. Houston is 50' ABOVE sea level while NOLA 10' BELOW. Houston will drain out in a few days after the rain stops and cleanup can begin.

Actually, there's a quite nice, and unused, cruise ship terminal at Bayport for one ship, and I'm not sure how much container service the Barber's Cut terminal around the corner is doing these days, so they could probably use at least one berth there.

And the Houston ship channel takes ships that are longer, wider, and deeper than cruise ships all the time.

Actually, there's a quite nice, and unused, cruise ship terminal at Bayport for one ship, and I'm not sure how much container service the Barber's Cut terminal around the corner is doing these days, so they could probably use at least one berth there.

And the Houston ship channel takes ships that are longer, wider, and deeper than cruise ships all the time.

The Bayport cruise terminal no longer exist. They sold the building a few months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Bayport cruise terminal no longer exist. They sold the building a few months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, but its not being used for anything right now, and it is an available dock space for a ship that would not be dealing with passengers, but with either relief workers or evacuees. My point is that this is space available to dock a cruise ship, if one were to be used as temporary housing.

Where did you dream Houston is 50' above sea level? Please tell my insurance agent to adjust my rates for the Harris County property I own.

Bayport would work, but their isn't a need. The terminals in Galveston didn't flood and we didn't have all the wind like Ike. Galveston faired far better than Houston. The sun is out 35 miles from Galveston. Tomorrow things will be more clear.

According to the USGS the elevation of Houston is 50'. The area is not flat, but there are not huge areas that require constant pumping like in NOLA.

Sure the ship channel can take larger vessels, but it has no unused ready dockage where you can put and SUPPLY a cruise ship.

According to the USGS the elevation of Houston is 50'. The area is not flat, but there are not huge areas that require constant pumping like in NOLA.

Sure the ship channel can take larger vessels, but it has no unused ready dockage where you can put and SUPPLY a cruise ship.

Look how little is even above 40' and the housing needs are much different here than after Katrina. A significant percentage of the damage is miles from the ship channel and Galveston. What's amazing is how much rainfall was far inland of the coastline. A drive around tonight was eye opening.

Here's the link: http://elevationmap.net/8700-fallbrook-dr-houston-tx-77064-usa?latlngs=(29.927190726685758,-95.54146417695313)

Here is the past news story on Bayport: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Bayport-Failed-cruise-terminal-gets-new-life-10605077.php

Worthless trivia, Bayport is actually in the city of Pasadena, Texas. Bayport is the terminal. Years ago NCL had a short-lived run sailing from La Porte. The ships were in need of scrapping, and their reliability was spotty at best.

Edited by BallFour4