Just off the Epic..few thoughts from a complete first timer

soggy1975

We have just come home after our 1st ever cruise on the Epic.

If anyone has any questions please ask away

I've done a review already but I thought I'd add a few thoughts.

Firstly both embarkation and disembarkation were v quick. The tender at Cannes was a bit confusing and last day disembarkation caused some ques for the lifts but otherwise v easy. We did get off the ship a bit too early on days we had excursions booked and with hindsight would have left later to save us waiting.

Dining- good choice of eateries, we preferred the Mdrs as the buffet was a bit less relaxing although the food was good. Ate in O'Sheehans which offers a nice alternative restaurant. Also if you eat before 8 you will be able to turn up and get a table in any restaurant, later than this there was a wait.

Bars - this is one area where this ship excels. Lots of bars of different styles so you can always find a suitable watering hole. Rarely had to que for a drink except in waves bar(the poolside one) which was busy during the day. Quality of drinks also high with branded spirits a good wine choice and plenty of beer options including a few 'craft's ones.

I'll continue a the next post

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the report. We've been on Norwegian Getaway and will be on the Escape in three weeks. We won't consider sailing on the Epic because of the configuration of the stateroom bathrooms. I'm curious to know what is your opinion of the cabin bathroom set up?

We disembarked in July and this was our second time on the Epic. The bathrooms did not pose any issues for my husband and me. You can see a shadow in the "toilet closet" but not the actual person. We both could get ready at the same time without any issues.

We disembarked in July and this was our second time on the Epic. The bathrooms did not pose any issues for my husband and me. You can see a shadow in the "toilet closet" but not the actual person. We both could get ready at the same time without any issues.

...and if the shadow bothers you, just pull the curtain :)

Not the OP, but we've sailed the Epic twice and have had no issue with the bathroom setup either. Some friends took their first cruise with us on the Epic a few years ago, then on the Escape last year, and they were surprised that the bathrooms were set up differently on each ship. They expected the Epic setup, and also preferred it.

OP, from the start of your review, sounds like you had a pretty good cruise!

Room - we liked the room set up. As has been mentioned if you pull the curtain across you end up with q a spacious and reasonably private shower/toilet/dressing area. We had our self conscious teenage son with us and he didn't mind. Plenty of storeage also.

Pool - probably the weakest point of the ship although I have no other ship to compare with. There was a minor battle for sun loungers but there were always plenty available on the 'quiet ' sundeck. Pool was always pretty busy so no real option to swim but ok for a quick cooling dip. Aquapark fun..usually q busy but the slides were generally worth the wait.

Entertainment - the Epic really excels here. We particularly liked the howl at the moon duelling pianos which we saw 3 times. Even the kids enjoyed this show. We saw both burn the floor and Priscilla shows in the main theatre without the kids. Both good quality entertainment. In general there was always something happening that we fancied so you'd be hard pushed to be bored, particularly on an evening.

Other facilities - the kids used the climbing wall which was a good challenge. It was open for a few hours most days and the wait time was typically 15mins. We went bowling one night which was good fun. It was $7 per game, usually a 20min wait but was worth it. The lanes did break q often but were usually fixed promptly. Me and the wife used the gym a few times. V big, v well equipped, usually q busy but always machines available. The ice cold towels from the freezer were a treat after a work out.

Staff - in general the staff were cheery and helpful. There was the occasional grumpy one but on a ship of 1400 staff they can't all be perfect. We felt like we always got good service and were made to feel special. We particularly liked the welcome back to the ship each day with cold towels, drinks and a good party vibe.

Finally a few personal thoughts.

I was particularly concerned about sea sickness and arrived with various medications. I needn't have bothered. None of us felt nauseous at any point..you could only just feel any movement at all so I was delighted to be able to enjoy the food and UBP unhindered.

The ship rarely felt big or busy even though it was both. People seemed to spread out q well and navigating around was pretty easy. I know some people have criticised that there's only lifts/stairs fore and aft and none in the middle but I found this made plotting a route easier. You always knew which staircase to use to get where you wanted.

Some of the most memorable moments were the unexpected.

The view of the stars from our balcony at night, waking to see the sunrise over Vesuvius..

It was our first cruise but I'm pretty sure not our last.

Hi Soggy,

So glad you enjoyed Epic, bit of a love or hate for most.

So looking foreward to our 5th trip on her this Nov transatlantic.

You mentioned that there were a few craft beers, any further details? Other than Guinness or Newcastle Brown I thought it was mostly generic lagers.

Cheers

Mark

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Forums mobile app

Hi Soggy,

So glad you enjoyed Epic, bit of a love or hate for most.

So looking foreward to our 5th trip on her this Nov transatlantic.

You mentioned that there were a few craft beers, any further details? Other than Guinness or Newcastle Brown I thought it was mostly generic lagers.

Cheers

Mark

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Forums mobile app

Blue moon (I'd call this a craft beer but only just) and my favourite , lagunitas little sumpin' a good hoppy wheat ale (there's my tasting notes for u) but be careful..v easy to drink but 7.5% so pretty strong

My husband and I only drink Miller Lite... we have found that while it may be posted as part of the package, that it's not available once we get on the ship. Do you remember if the cruise had Miller Lite?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can't be sure but definitely had a few American lite beers..not sure if Miller,Coors,bud.