Harmony Flowrider?

zanydoc

Haven't taken the lessons, only tried the Flowrider twice with some folks in my group.

Keep in mind how often you or your kids plan to use the Flowrider. For most people...they came and tried it out and then never went back. Obviously wouldn't be worth the $70 per person lesson for that. But if you're planning on doing it every day, then I would say it's worth it. The people who go once and try it..they all fall immediately and look like idiots.

You also have to stand around waiting in line to use the thing...which is going to be crowded sometimes. It's least busy on the first day and on port days. So if you're planning on staying on the ship instead of going on excursions...I'd do it. If not...I don't think you'll get your moneys worth.

I wouldn't buy a lesson until you've tried it a few times. Staff will help a lot during open surf times. I'd say most don't ever do a lesson. I did a group lesson once and it was probably a waste. Individual lessons might help a lot but they are very expensive. You can easily book a group lesson on board. I don't think they fill up much so I'd wait to see if you even like it.

Boggie board is easy and stand up is hard. Most adults try stand up.

On sea days it opens at 9 am for advanced riders and 10 am for beginners and runs pretty much till dark. Hours vary in ports but always open at least some of the day. It is open on first day but again limited times. It is a blast once you get the hang of it.

We bought lessons for our son's the 2nd time we sailed on a ship with a Flow Rider. For them it was well worth it. We also had the good fortune of having a Waterpark 10 minutes away from our house that has a Flow Rider. Now 7 years later both of my sons have competed on the US Flow Tour and my youngest ended up being the Men's National Body Board Champion in 2015! Just to think without those lessons they wouldn't know what they do now.

On the other hand don't waste your time with the Body Board lessons now as they are very strict about doing any tricks now.

Thank you all for your helpful responses--We just moved close to a water park with a Flowrider and my husband and son have fallen in love with it! But they only allow stand up at certain times that don't work for us--which is why I was wondering about the lesson. It sounds like it will help them move to the next level and the wait in between turns may be a bit less, too. Does anyone know how the lesson works-reservations somewhere? Can I do it ahead of time in the cruise planner?

Thank you all for your helpful responses--We just moved close to a water park with a Flowrider and my husband and son have fallen in love with it! But they only allow stand up at certain times that don't work for us--which is why I was wondering about the lesson. It sounds like it will help them move to the next level and the wait in between turns may be a bit less, too. Does anyone know how the lesson works-reservations somewhere? Can I do it ahead of time in the cruise planner?

So, when you are on a sailing with lots of young people like your husband and son, the lines get long, at those times it is worthwhile to book a private session, not necessarily a lesson. Then you can say get 4 or 5 people and book an hour, everybody gets to ride a lot more. That is sort of the sweet spot. Just the two might be tiring, but 4 to 6 is a nice number everybody gets more wave time.

JMHO

JC