pier NYC

2martinis

I am on the Sky Oct 29th out of NYC.

My Travel Rep had told me it was leaving out of the Manhattan Terminal.

With some digging I had seen that the Viking Sky was returning from a cruise on the 29th and

going to be in the Brooklyn Terminal. When I asked Viking they initially said it was stlll leaving from the Manhattan terminal but they realized their error.

The Brooklyn Cruise terminal is in the red hook area. Can't tell you about embarkation as I have

never been there!

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Brooklyn+Cruise+Terminal/@40.6818307,-74.0129506,695m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x3d0fc7b4341f3ece!8m2!3d40.6818307!4d-74.0107619

Disembarked at Manhattan terminal last fall, but it was on Oceania. We docked near the section of mid-town NYC called "Hell's Kitchen" - in the 40s, I believe. There's a port webcam that often shows a cruise ship there, although it's not a close up view. It's nyharborwebcam.com. Once you look at the webcam, you can drop down the page a bit and see a map that, when enlarged, will show you which ships are docked there. There's also a NYC port website which should confirm where you're docking, although Viking has already told you that. I'll post a link for that in a minute. If you want to go back out once you check into the ship, I think the port website gives info on how to get to the subway, etc. - although it's not particularly easy or quick to do that, so I would only do that if you have plenty of time and energy. Of course, the Intrepid Museum might interest some people, and should be close.

We disembarked rather than embarked, so can't tell you how embarkation is. However, when we disembarked, we had to walk a short way from the ship to get our luggage in the terminal, and then a short way with our luggage to get a cab. I think it was basically just across the street and up or down a tiny bit. I would think that a cab could drop you right at the terminal if you're coming from the airport or whatever to embark. There are also gypsy cabs around, but we didn't want to use those. The terminal, at least at the exact quay we came into, seemed to be functional, but without shops, etc. However, maybe that's just because we were getting off the ship - no need for anything! The Intrepid Air, Sea and Space Museum is nearby and a modern, shiny building that looks like a triangle.

Coming into Manhattan early morning was nice because we got to see the Statue of Liberty less than an hour before we docked. I assume you'll see her when you depart - either lit up if it's dark or in daylight if not.

Edited by roothy123

Embarkation in manhattan can be busy but it's not bad. You have people who help with luggage, you can drive right up to the door. I've never went out through red hook, but I haven't heard anything bad about red hook. Red hook is an up and coming neighborhood. Manhattan is right next to the intrepid. Lots to do in both manhattan and Brooklyn. And yes, you see the statute of liberty as you leave the pier. And you pass under the Verrazano bridge. Very impressive bridge as you go under. On the left hand side, you will pass the belt parkway and the walkway from the 65th street pier to gravesend. There are small islands near the Verrazano bridge and recently we have seals taking over the island as no people live there. In the right hand side, you will see stated island and New Jersey. So enjoy