Cruise Opinions

LRnascarfan

I'm currently booked on the Norwegian Breakaway for March of 2019 but am now kinda looking at Royal Caribbean's Anthem of the Seas too. What do you suggest? Has anyone done both or either and have a suggestion of which may be the better of the 2? I'm traveling with 2 daughters who will be 25 and 20.

Thanks!!

Kim H.

I have been on both the Anthem and the Breakaway. I would rate them equal. You can't go wrong with either with the ages of your children and I think they would have a blast on both. I prefer the pools on the Anthem, The Breakaway pool is extremely small. I prefer the restaurants on The Breakaway. There are actually a couple of them that you eat on the outside boardwalk. Sooooo nice and they also have a "full Serve" restaurant called O'Sheenahans. (Spelling?) which is open 24/7. Never closes. You want a cheeseburger made to order a 2am...bam. Entertainment, equal. The Anthem does have more toys though....The North Star, the Fly Away , bumper cars ...etc..etc. I guess it depends on what you are looking for. I know NCL has the free drink packages and other things right now, so that would probably sway my decision. What about the itinerary? Are they comparable? Caribbean, Bermuda, Bahama's? Good luck to you...They are both GREAT ships.

I have been on both the Anthem and the Breakaway. I would rate them equal. You can't go wrong with either with the ages of your children and I think they would have a blast on both. I prefer the pools on the Anthem, The Breakaway pool is extremely small. I prefer the restaurants on The Breakaway. There are actually a couple of them that you eat on the outside boardwalk. Sooooo nice and they also have a "full Serve" restaurant called O'Sheenahans. (Spelling?) which is open 24/7. Never closes. You want a cheeseburger made to order a 2am...bam. Entertainment, equal. The Anthem does have more toys though....The North Star, the Fly Away , bumper cars ...etc..etc. I guess it depends on what you are looking for. I know NCL has the free drink packages and other things right now, so that would probably sway my decision. What about the itinerary? Are they comparable? Caribbean, Bermuda, Bahama's? Good luck to you...They are both GREAT ships.

So you didn't find problems with Breakaway being over crowded? I have read so many reviews that Breakaway is way over crowded and you can barely get a chair anywhere and there are long lines all the time etc. I know alot of people have way high expectations, which we don't. So, just exploring ideas.

So you didn't find problems with Breakaway being over crowded? I have read so many reviews that Breakaway is way over crowded and you can barely get a chair anywhere and there are long lines all the time etc. I know alot of people have way high expectations, which we don't. So, just exploring ideas.

The only place we found more crowded than any other ship we have been on, was the pool. Packed everyday. There were more people than places to sit. If you are pool people, get there early. I honestly do not recall waiting in line for any length of time for anything. Honestly. If you have breakfast or lunch at the buffet, go to the BACK of the venue. Most people go to the first one and yes, the lines are ridiculous....but I find that to be true on all ships. We always go to the back. (easier to find seats also). I must say though, you state you are going in March. Please know that both of these ships will be at full capacity. Here in the Northeast, March is spring break. There will be tons of kids of all ages.

The only place we found more crowded than any other ship we have been on, was the pool. Packed everyday. There were more people than places to sit. If you are pool people, get there early. I honestly do not recall waiting in line for any length of time for anything. Honestly. If you have breakfast or lunch at the buffet, go to the BACK of the venue. Most people go to the first one and yes, the lines are ridiculous....but I find that to be true on all ships. We always go to the back. (easier to find seats also). I must say though, you state you are going in March. Please know that both of these ships will be at full capacity. Here in the Northeast, March is spring break. There will be tons of kids of all ages.

It will be spring break for us here in AR too. Your replies have been helpful though. I know on our last cruise we would get loungers but they were not necessarily "by the pool' but up on a different deck which was fine with us. Your tip on heading to the rear buffet is helpful too!! Thanks. It's just good to hear some positive about the ship. I was getting a little discouraged.

It will be spring break for us here in AR too. Your replies have been helpful though. I know on our last cruise we would get loungers but they were not necessarily "by the pool' but up on a different deck which was fine with us. Your tip on heading to the rear buffet is helpful too!! Thanks. It's just good to hear some positive about the ship. I was getting a little discouraged.

I loved the Breakaway. My son and daughter in law got engaged on this cruise and it brings back wonderful memories. I also LOVED the outside deck. Great lounge area's where we would all meet up for cocktails, outside instead of inside. We had a blast. Wish I could send you pics. OMG....I just remembered all the contests they had poolside. They were GREAT...and some of them funny. Anthem only had "Sexiest man on the ship" which by the way, my son won 1st place on the Allure, but 3rd place on the Anthem. Yes, mommy wants to brag a bit...lol.

Edited by champagne123

I'm currently booked on the Norwegian Breakaway for March of 2019 but am now kinda looking at Royal Caribbean's Anthem of the Seas too. What do you suggest? Has anyone done both or either and have a suggestion of which may be the better of the 2? I'm traveling with 2 daughters who will be 25 and 20.

Thanks!!

Kim H.

Hi, I have been on both ships. We are an older couple. We often cruise with our son and family (11-9). I have found both ships crowded at times. I do not like the way the shops are set up in the Anthem. On the Anthem, I love Wonderland, make reservations there at least one night. On the Breakaway, Cagney's or Moderno. You can even eat outside. Always a balcony (I am so spoiled) The Anthem is visually a more exciting ship. With 20 something daughters, I would pick the Anthem.

Which ever cruise line you pick make sure all three of you sign up for the rewards programs. On NCL, booking a year out, you get double points I believe so you are nearly half way to the next level of rewards. The perks are not always "big" perks but getting chocolate covered strawberries sent to the room is fun. On Celebrity, we get free up grades. On NCL, we get free laundry. If your girls like cruising the rewards may be helpful to them in the future.

No matter which one you pick, sit back relax and have fun....you are on vacation.