Loyal NCL fans but considering a Royal Carribean cruise with friends. Seeking advice on differences pros/cons vs NCL.

Jschloss84

Here's my take on the food. I have cruised NCL, RC and Disney. I like the NCL buffet the best, a lot of variety including Indian food. I would give RC and Disney an edge on the main dining rooms. Dessert on NCL isn't great and was better on the other 2. However I must say the pools on RC are better then the NCL mega ships. NCL has small pools for so many people on board. Anyway I wouldn't discount trying NCL based on food we always enjoy it. And we don't do the specialty restaurants.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I also feel that NCL buffets are the best at sea! And O'Sheehans Irish Pub is fabulous! I think the food in MDR was better on Royal, also, but loved all the complimentary choices on NCL. I would choose NCL if you base the cruise on the food, but their itinerary is the better one--to Southern Caribbean--so I'd stick with the Royal cruise on the Freedom.

Hello all,

So let me explain my wife and I love NCL and just recently got off the Escape 8/19 sailing we have done 5 Norwegian cruises , 1 Carnival (we weren't fans) and 1 Princess (we enjoyed but it was with my parents so it was a different experience.

We have been talking to friends for years about our cruising adventures and finally they want to cruise! Great!!! So they went online and found the cruise they wanted 7 night Southern Caribbean on Freedom of the seas. Unfortunately the time of year we want to go NCL doesn't have a southern Carribean itinerary. Itinerary looks awesome, But we have no experience with RCCL. Ok, we're pretty flexible but we're a little concerned , we love the entertainment, service and food on Norwegian and have never had a "bad" experience compared to our experiences elsewhere.

For those of you whom have cruised RCCL how does it compare to NCL? Should we convince friends to do a different itinerary with NCL or be adventurous and try something new?

We sailed on RC Serenade of the Seas in March 11 days.We are NCL cheerleader's and have done 30 plus cruises with them.

The only reason we did this cruise with RC was because it was the only cruise that we liked and the only cruise line that fit our arrival back from a week in Barbados.

The cruise was excellent,service all around the ship was great,no complaints. The only downfall for us is that we have been spoiled with NCL speciality dining venues as we just don't do buffet's, this has always been our #1 reason for NCL and its what got us hooked.

Side note, we both work in the food industry thus why no buffets plus we don't often eat out at home, so we enjoy the service.

We would however sail RC (small Ships) but shorter cruises.

Thanks for everyone's input, everyone's opinions are appreciated and taken in. We are more than likely going to book and have a great time I'm sure. Hopefully next August is not as active of a Hurricane Season! Prayers to all those in Florida from two New York first responders, keep your head down and stay safe!