Alaska Pre-Cruise Hotels in Vancover

hondo1717

Hello Fellow Princess Cruisers,

We are deciding on two hotels in Vancouver for a pre cruise stay... The two hotels are the Fairmont Waterfront which Princess cruises offers with transfers from airport to hotel then to ship.... The other one is the Pan Pacific which Princess cruises does not offer hotel, transfers etc. This hotels seems pricey, but a lot of good reviews on trip advisor, so I thought we would ask those princess cruisers. I am looking for those who have actually stayed at either one of these hotels for some valuable information which will be much appreciated.

Thanks you very much....

We are deciding on two hotels in Vancouver for a pre cruise stay... The two hotels are the Fairmont Waterfront which Princess cruises offers with transfers from airport to hotel then to ship.... The other one is the Pan Pacific which Princess cruises does not offer hotel, transfers etc. This hotels seems pricey, but a lot of good reviews on trip advisor, so I thought we would ask those princess cruisers. I am looking for those who have actually stayed at either one of these hotels for some valuable information which will be much appreciated.

Thanks you very much....

We have stayed at both.

Pan Pacific would be our first choice. Beautiful views! Elevator right down to the ship!!

Fairmont Waterfront is excellent too.

Thanks you very much....

I can't speak to the Fairmont, but I have stayed at the Pan Pacific and LOVED it. If your ship is docking there, it's super convenient, but if it's not, and shuttles aren't offered, it might not be worth it for you. (There are two docks in Vancouver. One is attached to the Pan Pacific, and the other is farther away.)

I can't speak to the Fairmont, but I have stayed at the Pan Pacific and LOVED it. If your ship is docking there, it's super convenient, but if it's not, and shuttles aren't offered, it might not be worth it for you. (There are two docks in Vancouver. One is attached to the Pan Pacific, and the other is farther away.)

Hi Ashley,

If you are referring to Ballantyne Pier have heard here on CC that they stopped using the Ballantyne pier a couple of years ago. So no other docks for Princess other than Canada Place as far as I know. ;)

Thanks you very much....

If pricing is a concern, you might want to look at the YWCA. It's close to the pier and I've heard good things about it.

Tom

Fairmont Waterfront is literally right across the street from Pan Pacific (about 20 steps door to door). If it's cheaper all around and you can arrange your transfers through it/princess I say that's your obvious choice. Fairmont is a high end hotel chain so you can find pics on their websites that should show interiors. Pan Pacific is built on top of the dock that the ships berth at. Nice place too, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks you very much....

So that you're basing your decision on accurate info, be aware that cab fare to either of these hotels is fixed at CAD$35 and there is no need for a transfer to the pier at all - the PP is literally on top of the pier, and the Waterfront perhaps 20 yards further away as it is on the other side of the street. Furthermore, ANY downtown hotel is within a $10 cab ride of the pier - we have an extremely compact downtown core, so if proximity to the pier is important to you literally anything downtown will work and there are dozens of other downtown hotels, all but a handful have lower average price points than these two.

Check hotel rates independently too - the padding applied for your 'free' transfers is always higher than the actual cost in my experience, because it's calculated at a per-person rate and Princess currently charge US$29pp (i.e. MORE expensive than a cab). If you're a couple or more, you'll likely get a better deal booking with the hotel directly or through Expedia etc than booking through the line.

NB: that there is only one cruise pier, as Ballantyne shut down 2-3 years ago. It will never return to service as it's part of the expanded central container terminal and purely for industrial use.

As to the relative experience of staying in the hotels, I can't help with room quality since I can walk to the pier - but the in-house resto at the PP (7 Sails) is much better than that in the Waterfront. There are literally hundreds of dining options within an easy walk from either though.

Hi,

I have stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront Hotel twice fairly recently (pre-cruise in September 2015 and post-cruise in May 2016). I booked the hotel directly with Princess both times (they had a good price). The hotel is very nice and located directly across the street from the cruise terminal. If it is raining, there is an underground hallway that connects the hotel to the terminal. The neighborhood is very pleasant and has a lot of good dining options.

Chuck

Thanks you very much....

I have actually stayed at both

the cruise ship terminal is in the same building as the Pan Pacific (Canada place)

the Fairmont waterfront is across the street. our "transfer" to the waterfront was someone who walked us across the street

that being said, I liked the Fairmont better. I thought the rooms were nicer, the staff more accommodating and the restaurants / bars much better. If I went again I would stay at the Fairmont