first time cruiser-QM2-luggage question

warbler

:confused: My husband and I are scheduled for the QM2 Dec. 8 cruise - which is our first cruise ever, and we're really looking forward to it. In an effort to bring along the various dress clothes and casual wear, we now have two pieces of luggage each, plus a duffle bag...and I'm a little concerned about storing the luggage once we are on board. If anyone would be kind enough to advise whether we will be able to store a couple of pieces under the bed or if there is adequate closet space I would appreciate it. We still have two days - and can unpack and repack if necessary. Thanks for your help.

LK

Warbler,

You will have plenty of space to store you suitcases underneath the beds in your stateroom. In addition there is ample closet and drawer space for your clothes.

You only need to read over the many recent QM2 reviews posted on these boards to see what storage space is available. Have a wonderful first voyage aboard the QM2!

Cruiserking

Some will depend on the cabin you are booked into .. I was in a Q5 suite and had NO issues.

Some will depend on the size of the suitcases you are taking if they fit under the beds or in the closets.

If things do not fit .. ask the Steward to store your luggage someplace... they probably will be able to do that.

You should have plenty of room under your bed for the luggage. If you have a problem ask your room steward for help. I think the closet space will be fine. Some people have complained about the drawer space. They may have been on longer cruises. It was fine for us on a 10 day cruise and a 7 day cruise.

Congratulations on choosing the QM2 for your first cruise. We thoroughly enjoyed both of our cruises and can't wait to go again. Enjoy!

This will be our second cruise on the Queen Mary 2 and in the same cabin with a hull balcony on Four Deck. We will have six pieces of luggage again and will be able to store all of them under the twin beds. We each have a regular size pullman, garment bag with all kinds of pockets on the outside, and a carry on.

We found just enough drawer and closet space to put everything away last year of a twelve day cruise, so we assume we will make it okay again this year. We always try to reduce our items, but it is not easy. We find the launderetts that are available on several decks very handy to wash one week's clothes in order to wear them again.

You would get even more advice here if you tell us which cabin category you are in and what deck.

Hope to meet you at the Cruise Critic get-together on the second day at sea. Check the Daily Programme for the time and place. Also don't forget to sign the Cruise Critic log in the ship's library.

Bon Voyage.........Terrence (Terry)

Congratulations on your first cruise, and it being a Cunard cruise! Ours was too. A word to the wise: They're like drug dealers. they hook you in with a taste, then you have to come back for more, time and again for your fix! Pretty soon you find yourself craving longer cruises, in higher level cabins. then two a year You'll go from inside, to outside, to balcony to suite. And I warn you. You can never go back down again! You WILL be spoiled. No other cruise line will EVER be as good!

Seriously, I pack as though I were living abroad for a year. And I have never had problems finding room for all my suticases. usually the little one fits inside the big one and you stash both under the bed. Note: It is not illegal to move the life vests from under the bed! in fact their proper stowage is probably on the top shelf of one of the closets, which are usually pretty deep. You can usually fit three on one shelf! Truly, on my first cruise I was afraid I would be shot and/or keel-hauled if I so much as moved them 1 inch!

There is also usually room next to the curtains if you have a balcony cbin- beside the sofa. If you stand one on edge, it becomes a table! Do yourself a favor. Every orning get down to the pursers and get an extra clean copy of the progam for your memory book. I always have one of those silly fanny packs. I keep my room/onboard charge card and a ppen and pad to write down the names and email addresses of those i wish to remain in touch with, plus a copy of the ship layout (You WILL get lost!) and the program, folded up. Of course others wish to remain unfettered. Your choice.

Anyone else got any suggestions for a first-timer? Remember your misconceptions and the things you wish you'd known. Like what you SHOULD have brought, and what you should have left behind! (Don't forget battery chargers for rechargable camera batteries and such) It wouldn't hurt to bring an electric three way plug, too, if you have a lot of electronics. And most Cunard ships I have been on, the plus is recessed, so transformers don't fit! I now bring an outlet strip wth me! They're light and pack small. )

Enjoy!

You're hoooked now!

Many thanks to all of you for the information. And thanks particularly to travel-to-go for the great tips.

We are in a hull-balcony room on deck 5 and from the responses, it doesn't sound like we'll have any problem with the luggage. As first timers, we have been obsessing about having enough and the right "stuff" with us. So judging from the responses we (and our luggage) should be just fine. We leave tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it.

Happy cruising everyone!

Pardon my ignorance but what is a 'outlet strip' and are the cabins fitted with British or US plugs????

I usually call them surge protectors. they are unbiquitous these days. It's the plastic rectangle (usually) with a long heavy duty cord. (three pronged with ground plug, US style) The plastic part has six outlets in it. Any kind of outlet multiplier would do. The ships have both British and US plugs, but usually, there is one plug (for the razor) in the bathroom, and one on the desk. So if you have a couple of things to plug in, you are out of luck. Plus, it seems these days averything has a transformer. Those big fat plugs like you use to charge your cell phone. If the outlet is recessed a bit, they won't plug in! think of a 2 inch square plug, trying to fit into an outlet that is set into the wall by about a quarter of an inch (say, 1-2 centimeters) with a 1 inch round depression in it. The prongs wouldn't push all the way in! Think of what computer users usually have, to plug all their gizmos in at once. That is an outlet strip or surge protector.

Looks like this: (I hope I did that file upload right!)

Okay Cruisers! I am disappointed in you! Think back to your first cruise! Let's give these first timers some helpful hints that we wish we'd known our first time!

p0801v2.jpg.c9a8f2c9370dca4a9bd848afb6650087.jpg

OK, travel-to-go, I'll try to help. We always take a clock as there is not usually one in the cabin. We also take the outlet strip. We take the over the door shoe hanger to put on the back of the bathroom door for all our toiletries. We take post-it notes to leave notes for cabin steward and each other.

OK, travel-to-go, I'll try to help. We always take a clock as there is not usually one in the cabin. We also take the outlet strip. We take the over the door shoe hanger to put on the back of the bathroom door for all our toiletries. We take post-it notes to leave notes for cabin steward and each other.

Hmm! Great ideas! I never thought of the over the door shoe bag thing! Come to think of it, I got spoiled on our suites on HAL's ships.

Cunard doesn't have a lot of storage in the bathroom. The mirrored angled cabinet with the three shelves, and the one under the sink. Not much other room. Not like the big counters on HAL ships.

I always have post-its on me. Never thought of notes for the cabin steward! Great idea.

How about it everyone? Any more suggestions? Things not to miss on board? Things to caution about? Are they still doing the fabulous midnight buffets with all of the ice and butter carvings and sculpted breads?

If I bring booze on board, and leave it out where the cabin steward will see it, they are more likely to keep the ice bucket full! They know it could lead to a bigger tip! (And do make sure you tip better for those extra thoughtful touches.) The charges to your account are "suggested" tips. They used to tell you what to tip, and give you envelopes. Now they add it to your on-board account. I always like to delight my servers for their personal service.

Last time I asked someone, your servers and such make about $5.00 a week. Yes, I said FIVE DOLLAR! The rest is tips. (and room and board, of course.) Think about how many they serve, times the amount per person and they do pretty well. Although now it appears they have to share it with "backroom" folks- Laundry, dishwashers etc.

I'd much rather the cruise lines pay their people! Instead of having me handle thier payroll for them. This is why ships are not US flagged, Then they would have to follow US laws, like minimum wage.

Archived