taking non alcoholic drinks onboard

angelbearmom

People post that single old Facebook comment from 2014 like it's gospel without actually reading it. Yes, it says what HAL tells you when you call them up. Then, when you ask "what about cases of bottled water, soda, etc? Can I tag those for ermbarkation?" the answer is YES.

Here it is, and note the key words 'unlimited' and 'we ask'.

Hi Raelene, thanks for asking! Guests are permitted to bring unlimited soda or bottled water onboard at embarkation or purchased in a shore side location. We ask that the soda or bottled water be carried onboard and not be stored in the any of the luggage you check in prior to embarking. We do offer a discounted Soda Card, as well as many other valuable indulgence packages. For more information regarding soda cards, or any other indulgence packages, please contact our Ship Services department directly at 800-541-1576 (206-281-3535 if calling from outside the US or Canada) Monday-Friday 7:00am to 5:00pm Pacific Time, or by email to hal_ship_services@hollandamerica.com. Bon Voyage!

Edited by MaxThrusters

People post that single old Facebook comment from 2014 like it's gospel without actual reading it. Yes, it says what HAL tells you when you call them up. Then, when you ask "what about cases of bottled water, soda, etc? Can I tag those for ermbarkation?" the answer is YES.

Here it is, and note the key words 'unlimited' and 'we ask'.

Hi Raelene, thanks for asking! Guests are permitted to bring unlimited soda or bottled water onboard at embarkation or purchased in a shore side location. We ask that the soda or bottled water be carried onboard and not be stored in the any of the luggage you check in prior to embarking. We do offer a discounted Soda Card, as well as many other valuable indulgence packages. For more information regarding soda cards, or any other indulgence packages, please contact our Ship Services department directly at 800-541-1576 (206-281-3535 if calling from outside the US or Canada) Monday-Friday 7:00am to 5:00pm Pacific Time, or by email to hal_ship_services@hollandamerica.com. Bon Voyage!

Bolding and underlining is mine as it goes to the root of the matter.

Exactly what was in the FB post. Exactly what some of us have been saying.

Nothing here about bringing cases on board.

They are asking you to carry it on. HAL is quite polite.

Go ahead and push it - you will justify it anyways. Just don't start a thread or post when unlimited non alocholic beverages are eliminated. It just take a few to spoil it for the rest ;).

No worries to me. Jut concerned about those that it does matter to. As long as I can bring on my fixings to make proper clamato juice and my wine (and pay) life is good ;)

Bolding and underlining is mine as it goes to the root of the matter.

Exactly what was in the FB post. Exactly what some of us have been saying.

Nothing here about bringing cases on board.

They are asking you to carry it on. HAL is quite polite.

Go ahead and push it - you will justify it anyways. Just don't start a thread or post when unlimited non alocholic beverages are eliminated. It just take a few to spoil it for the rest ;).

No worries to me. Jut concerned about those that it does matter to. As long as I can bring on my fixings to make proper clamato juice and my wine (and pay) life is good ;)

Why don't you just cruise the way you want and let everyone else do the same? I've clearly shown that 'carry on in hand luggage' refers to loose cans or bottles and not to cases of such..which CAN be boarded tagged at embarkation as per Ships Services and as I have done so on every single HAL cruise in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and yes 2017. The 'carry on in hand luggage' does NOT apply to cases.

Again, I do not understand why people are posting these deceptive interpretations of the rules, and circular arguments.Call HAL. Hear the official blurb response, then ask "what about checking in tagged cases on embarkation?" The answer is yes.

Why don't you just cruise the way you want and let everyone else do the same? I've clearly shown that 'carry on in hand luggage' refers to loose cans or bottles and not to cases of such..which CAN be boarded tagged at embarkation as per Ships Services and as I have done so on every single HAL cruise in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and yes 2017. The 'carry on in hand luggage' does NOT apply to cases.

Again, I do not understand why people are posting these deceptive interpretations of the rules, and circular arguments.Call HAL. Hear the official blurb response, then ask "what about checking in tagged cases on embarkation?" The answer is yes.

You have NOT clearly shown that it only pertains to loose cans. I read your post which I said was identical to the FB post. There is NOTHING about cases in it.

I did call HAL. they said no. I posted that several posts back.

No worries you do what you want.

You asked, we answered and when you didn't like the answer you sought to find a way around it.

What you choose to do is your business. What I don't understand is people asking, getting an honest answer and then lambasting those that give it because it is not the answer they want.

Have a great cruise!

Yes it does. I specifically asked about cases if you read my post. But as I said - Do what you want just don't whine when HAL brings in total restrictions thanks to abuse.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Forums mobile app

Sorry, I do not believe what you say is the truth based on my actual experience over the years (including this year), and after speaking directly with a HAL representative about 8 days ago or so..

"Do what you want just don't whine when HAL brings in total restrictions thanks to abuse" It is your OPINION that it is 'abuse'. It is not actually a fact. Why don't you cruise the way you want, and let everyone else cruise as they want? You don't work for HAL.

I also did not ask for any of your opinions. I was not the OP, and I already know that tagging cases of non alcoholic beverages for embarkation is perfectly fine.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=54098689&postcount=26 since I am weary of repeating myself.

Yes you may have called HAL; but no you did not ask them specifically about cases or you wouldn't be pointlessly arguing with me.

Again, I have had cases taken on tagged at embarkation on *every* HAL cruise I have sailed on going back many years. Never a problem, never been told it isn't allowed. Specifically told it is OK by Ships services recently.

Sure, you are giving an honest yet disingenuous answer to the people asking. I'm giving the full answer. Your opinion is it is 'wrong' because you believe HAL would prevent any non alcoholic beverages being allowed to board. Opinion, not fact.

Edited by MaxThrusters

A slightly different question about soft drinks.

We are boarding a 14 day cruise in Fort Lauderdale. The person I am cruising with doesn't really drink alcohol so we want to take some soft drinks on with us.

As you probably know, we live in Spain and are not sure what drinks are available in the US. Here he drinks a drink called Aquarius. Is that available there?

A slightly different question about soft drinks.

We are boarding a 14 day cruise in Fort Lauderdale. The person I am cruising with doesn't really drink alcohol so we want to take some soft drinks on with us.

As you probably know, we live in Spain and are not sure what drinks are available in the US. Here he drinks a drink called Aquarius. Is that available there?

If I recall correctly, that is a Coca Cola product that is a mineral drink tasting like grapefruit?

I haven't seen it in the U.S. Nor Canada.

The closest Coke product that I can think of taste wise would be Fresca (no sugar but not a mineral drink).

The mineral drinks they offer are Powerade. Powerade Zero had no sugar and is an energy/mineral drink but does not come in grapefruit flavour.

If I recall correctly, that is a Coca Cola product that is a mineral drink tasting like grapefruit?

I haven't seen it in the U.S. Nor Canada.

The closest Coke product that I can think of taste wise would be Fresca (no sugar but not a mineral drink).

The mineral drinks they offer are Powerade. Powerade Zero had no sugar and is an energy/mineral drink but does not come in grapefruit flavour.

Yes, Aquarius is made by Coca Cola but is lemon flavoured (also available in orange but not so nice). It is very light and non-sweet and is similar to an Isotonic/sport drink but without the additives.

Looks like we will have to spend our 2 days in FLL trying to find something he likes.

We would be looking to take a pack onto the ship with us for 'balcony' drinks. Personally I will be drinking wine - lol

Aquarius looks to be a Japanese product by Coca-Cola, but not distributed in the USA. I noticed an Amazon 3rd-party seller offers it, but it is $284 for 24 bottles!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0092YTXG2/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

I've had things shipped to my hotel to collect before a cruise, but this seems a bit expensive at $12USD a bottle. I'd suggest trying a few similar local brands in Florida, and hopefully find one that works. Good luck!

Yes, Aquarius is made by Coca Cola but is lemon flavoured (also available in orange but not so nice). It is very light and non-sweet and is similar to an Isotonic/sport drink but without the additives.

Looks like we will have to spend our 2 days in FLL trying to find something he likes.

We would be looking to take a pack onto the ship with us for 'balcony' drinks. Personally I will be drinking wine - lol

Sorry my memory was short :o

Lemon flavoured - there are options.

Definitely do some taste testing in FLL.

Hope you find something suitable.

And, I'm with you on the wine ;)

Edited to say - try Limonata - made by San Pelligrino - in a can. It might be quite close.

Edited by kazu

Edited to say - try Limonata - made by San Pelligrino - in a can. It might be quite close.

Limonata is my "go to" soft drink. Not sugar free, though. 13% lemon juice so it has a real bite to it. I had it yesterday before dinner instead of wine. ❤️ it and your friend might, too. Public or Total Wine probably carry it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Jacqui

I Googled Limonata - it sounds very nice. I think I might like that.

The Aquarius that we buy here in Spain is non-carbonated. Coca Cola describe it as "an active hydration beverage - a lemon flavoured non-carbonated drink". I am surprised it is not sold in USA and Canada. I think it would be very popular.

My friend drinks several large bottles of it a day. For a few weeks he will just have to find something else - or drink water - lol.

It is his first cruise and he can't get over how much I will have to spend to have wine on the ship ($18 corkage :eek:).He owns a bar here in Spain and sells wine for €6 for a very large glass. I told him that I will be on holiday and I will not go without my glass of Cava or wine on the balcony or wine with a nice meal in MDR or Pinnacle.

Thanks Jacqui

I Googled Limonata - it sounds very nice. I think I might like that.

The Aquarius that we buy here in Spain is non-carbonated. Coca Cola describe it as "an active hydration beverage - a lemon flavoured non-carbonated drink". I am surprised it is not sold in USA and Canada. I think it would be very popular.

My friend drinks several large bottles of it a day. For a few weeks he will just have to find something else - or drink water - lol.

It is his first cruise and he can't get over how much I will have to spend to have wine on the ship ($18 corkage :eek:).He owns a bar here in Spain and sells wine for €6 for a very large glass. I told him that I will be on holiday and I will not go without my glass of Cava or wine on the balcony or wine with a nice meal in MDR or Pinnacle.

You are most welcome Carol.

I hear you on wine prices. When in Spain, I justify my wine since it is usually cheaper than pop/soda/water ;)

At least Total Wine has reasonably priced wines (compared to our prices here) and they did have Cava last time we were there.

If you look them up on line, you can check out their inventory.

If he has to drink water, the dining stewards will put lemon in the glass and there have been lemons in the lido to add to your water if you are so inclined. ;).

You are most welcome Carol.

I hear you on wine prices. When in Spain, I justify my wine since it is usually cheaper than pop/soda/water ;)

At least Total Wine has reasonably priced wines (compared to our prices here) and they did have Cava last time we were there.

If you look them up on line, you can check out their inventory.

If he has to drink water, the dining stewards will put lemon in the glass and there have been lemons in the lido to add to your water if you are so inclined. ;).

Lemons in the water would make him feel at home as we have lemon trees (and orange trees) in our garden.

He is just having a hard time coming to grips with the price of things. He also jokingly calls Veendam a 20 year old rust bucket.

Of course he is just joking and I can't wait to see his face when he first sees the ship and our Neptune suite. I think he is imagining something like the ferry from UK to Spain.