Passport or no Passport?

tsb

Family of 5 are going on CP in March. Really do not want to spend the money for the passport. How often do you need to show the birth certificates? Is it really worth the money if you don't plan to use the passport again? Thanks for the help. New to this cruise thing.

I think it is worth it to get a passport. Sometime next year you will need a passport to leave and re-enter the country from anywhere, such as Canada, Mexico, etc. Are you planning to never cruise again for the next 10 years?

We use our passports even to travel by air within the country. It is the ultimate ID.

Originally the plan was that you would need one by the end of 2005 for travel to the Caribbean. That has been changed to the end of 2006. It is still listed as a proposal so who knows could change again to an even later. Either way you are all set for March. Save your $500 for your next vacation! Just make sure you have a valid gov't issued picture ID for the adults and birth certificates with a raised seal for everyone. While on the cruise the only time you will have to show it is when you clear customs. If you only go to non-US territories that will be only when you leave the ship at the end of the cruise. The other thing I can think of to

watch out for is some excursion go to other islands that may require a passport so make sure not to book one of those.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2225.html

We are in a similar boat. We are going with 4 of us and I would rather not pay the $400 for 4 passports if I don't have to. Yes I plan to travel again in the next 10 years but I also plan to travel again in the next 11 years so why not buy it until I have to! If I buy it in 2007 for a probably 2007 cruise then it would still be good for a possible 2017 cruise! :) :) I agree it is the best ID to have but right now I don't need it and so am keeping my $400!

Scott

Just spoke to my TA today on that very topic. My Passport expires 3 weeks before I leave and she said, you don't have to have one but you could wait up to an hour and it would be a lot easier and less hassle. Guess what I'm doing this weekend.

If you want to continue to travel in the near future, you will need a passport. It is much better identification than a birth certificate or driver's license for such things as booking tours or any legal problems in a foreign country. If you are not a serious traveler and have no plans to ever cruise after 2006 or never take a trip at the last minute in the future out of the country, don't get one and just stay home. The rest of us will enjoy the trip without you!

Since you said you were a family of 5, one thought....it's the best form (and often the only) form of picture ID for your children who aren't yet old enough for a driver's license. That said, some itineraries don't require them, and although it's possible you may be subject to delays, you may also get by with birth certificates (and consider taking school ID for the pic).

I'd say, if you plan to travel again (after they are required) or want to be sure of no hassles, get them. If this is it for out of country travel, consider saving the money--but have the birth certificates with raised seal for all.

Btw, interesting enough, as a US citizen----on any of our trips the country which was most diligent about asking for them was actually Canada, of all places. No one in the Carribean asked for them, but we did show them at customs in the US when we returned.

Have a great trip!!

I can not believe that these days it is actually possible to travel internationally with out a passport! With all the delays at US borders what makes you think you ever could travel with out one. Its lunacy!

Its an open door for terrorists!

I can not believe that these days it is actually possible to travel internationally with out a passport! With all the delays at US borders what makes you think you ever could travel with out one. Its lunacy!

Its an open door for terrorists!

Yes it is possible, and is legal! It is not what one thinks! It is not lunacy or illegal, so why be so judgemental! While it may be preferable, and in the future a requirement, a passport is not required in our country for all international travel. Now as for those Brits, thats another story.

Here's the real deal. Most cruise destinations in the Caribbean do not require a passport for cruise visitors. The rules might be different in those same places if a longer stay is anticipated. Entry into the UK or Europe, and most other destinations outside of North America requires a passport. The rule change that is coming at the end of 2006 will require that all US citizens will need to have a passport to get back INTO the US. Regardless of what other countries might require for documentation, you're going to need one to get home.

Yes it is possible, and is legal! It is not what one thinks! It is not lunacy or illegal, so why be so judgemental! While it may be preferable, and in the future a requirement, a passport is not required in our country for all international travel. Now as for those Brits, thats another story.

I rest my case!!

If you're a family of 5, presumably some of the group are your children. If they're under 16, their passports are less expensive (although they expire in 5 years, not 10). If there is any possibility that your child will be doing any travel with school sponsored trips in the next 5 years, the passport can be very useful, perhaps necessary. And, as already mentioned, soon enough they will be required.

We first got them for our daughters when we went to Europe in 2001. They expire next summer but we're waiting to renew until after our younger daughter turns 16 this winter. That way, they'll both have 10-year passports and the next time they're needed - it's their problem, not ours!

Btw, interesting enough, as a US citizen----on any of our trips the country which was most diligent about asking for them was actually Canada, of all places. No one in the Carribean asked for them, but we did show them at customs in the US when we returned.

Canada worry about you dont have proper documentation to re-enter U.S. and they dont want you to stay in Canada "permanently". No U.S. Citizen in their right mind would choose to stay in a Caribbean country "for good" and not returning to U.S. But there are some U.S. Citizens prefer Canada. :-)

And should one of the countries you are visiting require a passport .. you will be denied boarding for the ENTIRE cruise?

You want to take that chance just cuz you are cheap??

GET A PASSPORT and stop whining or worrying about the issue. I would certainly hate missing a crusie cuz mommy was too cheap to get a passport for all her kids.

And do not wait till the last minute. US Government takes a long time (see their web site but I think it is up to 6 weeks) for a passport. There are alternative passport agencies (online service companies) who will do them in like two days for double to price. I travel extensively on business (Canada and Bermuda weekly) and had to find a week I was going to be in the US for a whole week to get mine renewed .. yes cost double and I payed the Fedex charges both ways.

Is not worth the worry .. and it makes you look like professional travelers to your kids when you whip out all the passports to the airline/cruise line .. rather then fumbling with everyones birth certificate. BTW .. I have been at airports where pax were DENIED boarding on a plane because on member (kid) of the party did not have the proper ID (obvoiusly not a passport). You should have seen the parents freaking out.

when you are in a foreign country, (even on a cruiseship excursion, or you just go to shore), a birth certificate is not enough for you to travel to the nearest U.S. Consulate to get help ... or get from one Caribbean country to another Caribbean country just to catch the ship. Though this is kind of like drastic case, but it is a possibility. LOL.

Personally we travel with passports, for over 20 years now.

I would guess that as soon as the US requires passports for everyone visiting or coming back, the other countries, such as in the Caribbean, will require them as well to get even.

I expect that soon we will have to show passports at every foreign port. It's the cost of traveling.

Hi tsb,

We're a family of four and have travelled with passports each year once or twice and I wouldn't do it any other way. The passports are easy to carry, a great form of id and easier to carry than birth certificates.

Don't worry. You said you're "new to this cruise thing". You'll be hooked and will probably book another cruise as soon as $$ and time allow!!! You'll use those passports again and again!!

It's easy to take care of getting the passports also so don't let that stop you. Once you have them, you'll be glad you aren't fumbling with alternate forms of id....truly!!

Have a great trip!

I can not believe that these days it is actually possible to travel internationally with out a passport! With all the delays at US borders what makes you think you ever could travel with out one. Its lunacy! Its an open door for terrorists!

I agree. Its scandalous that 4+ years after 9/11 that people could still enter the U.S. with the presentation of documents (i.e. driver's licenses/state photo IDs and birth certificates) that are very easily forged. Or, better yet, complete fabrications--all 50 states have different ID and birth certificate formats, styles, layouts, design, etc. (which are often updated and changed) so that its virtually impossible to know what's real and what's a fake.

Of course, cruising probably does not present a high border security risk. But the ID system in the U.S. is a gaping hole in our national security. Meanwhile, the politicians in Washington dither while much of the public looks the other way...

I can not believe that these days it is actually possible to travel internationally with out a passport! With all the delays at US borders what makes you think you ever could travel with out one. Its lunacy! Its an open door for terrorists!

I agree. It is scandalous that 4+ years after 9/11 that people could still enter the U.S. with the presentation of documents (i.e. driver's licenses/state photo IDs and birth certificates) that are very easily forged. Or, better yet, complete fabrications--all 50 states have different ID and birth certificate formats, styles, layouts, design, etc. (which are often updated and changed) so that its virtually impossible to know what's real and what's a fake.

Of course, cruising probably does not present a high border security risk. But the ID system in the U.S. is a gaping hole in our national security. Meanwhile, the politicians in Washington dither while much of the public looks the other way...

I hate to point this out to you guys....but the 9/11 terrorists would not have been blocked from entering the country with new passport regulations. I am all for tightening security, but usually such regulations only affect those who were legally doing things to begin with.

We have been on 12 cruises with at least one of our children, and travel by air frequently. I did not have passports for my children, but always had their birth certificate, and if they are under 18, you do not need a photo ID. The cruiseline takes their picture, and that is their ID to get back on the ship. Any airline that questions my child about having photo ID before they are 18 (my sons are both 6 ft tall), are told that they don't need them because they are under age, however once they get their learner's permit (at 16 in NY), they show that. Also, the cruise line will check your birth certificates when you board, so it is not true that you only need it to go through customs. I will admit that this will be my first Princess cruise, but Celebrity, NCL, RCCL did that. My 20 year old got his passport when he traveled by himself to the Bahamas at 17, and I just got my 17 year old a passport because we went abroad. It was after Katrina, and New Orleans was a major passport processing center, so I paid alot to get the passport quickly, because I was worried that they said it would take longer. I did this, by the way, through the US Post Office, not through a private company, and I got it within a week. I do not recommend that for 5 of you however, I would go right now and get the 5 passports.

I hate to point this out to you guys....but the 9/11 terrorists would not have been blocked from entering the country with new passport regulations. I am all for tightening security, but usually such regulations only affect those who were legally doing things to begin with.

Amen........

Ahhh. the age old PASSPORT decision.

This is my 4th cruise coming up. I have never used a Passport. You show your ID & birth certificate on time at check in...done deal. Maybe once when you debark...I forget. It's not a hassle.

I am currently awaiting our new Passports for the upcoming Hawaii cruise. It's not required, but I know it will be soon enough and wanted to beat the rush. A 20 minute visit to the Post Office, a couple a hundred bucks, and we were on our way.

One thing to consider is that if you have a problem onboard the ship or on shore and need to fly home (accidents and illness do happen), you will need a passport to return to the U.S.

Not getting a passport at this time is like not taking out cruise insurance. It may not be necessary or required but if something happens and you need it, you'll be SOL. I think traveling outside the U.S. without a passport is taking a big risk.

Archived