Cuban Cigars in Cozumel/Costa Maya

mwoody1967

Most of them are 'knock offs'......research before you leave so you know what to look for authenticity vs fakes!!

The vast majority of "Cuban" cigars sold are fake; even from reputable stores. Do a quick Google search for tips to identify fakes. Nonetheless the counterfeiters are using more sophisticated techniques, so spotting a fake by way of labeling, boxing, etc. is becoming more difficult.

You can find genuine Cubans in these ports, but, most of the time the "Cuban" cigars you are buying are counterfeit. I suggest that if you are not a regular smoker of Cubans you just pass in these ports. You can get a better selection with less trouble in some of the other ports in the Caribbean.

The Habanos stores are the safest place to buy. There's one in almost every port. Google your port and Habanos and you'll find the location.

If you are buying outside of a Habanos store a couple of signs that suggest fakes are many different cigar brands and styles in the same box (Might be a glass top box) and the lack of a triple cap.

If you are looking for a recommendation for a cigar to try, I'd suggest a "Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure no 2". You can buy these in three packs as well as aluminum tubes so they are nice for taking home.

Cheers.

The Habanos stores are the safest place to buy. There's one in almost every port. Google your port and Habanos and you'll find the location.

If you are buying outside of a Habanos store a couple of signs that suggest fakes are many different cigar brands and styles in the same box (Might be a glass top box) and the lack of a triple cap.

If you are looking for a recommendation for a cigar to try, I'd suggest a "Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure no 2". You can buy these in three packs as well as aluminum tubes so they are nice for taking home.

Cheers.

Good choice! Nice cigar recommendation.

Outside of Cuba, buy your Cuban cigars at any "La Casa de Habanos"

That will be a certified seller of Cuban cigars

THIS ^^^^^^^

And I would not buy Cuban cigars in a cruise ship port or other super tourist location. Overpriced, likely counterfeit or low quality floor sweepings.

• 3 months later...

Cigar King... Help I'm going South Caribbean Costa Maya Roatan and island of Belize for NCL Cruise Line can you please tell me where I could find real boxes of Cuban cigar this may be my only chance I'm leaving the country and I can get them please help someone

Thanks Dave97402 and Cigar King for the advice!!:cool: We are cruising with friends (14 of us so far) to Havana in October and buying some Cuban cigars was on our wish list! Anyone know what restrictions are on how many one person is allowed to bring back to the U.S.?:confused: Of course, we probably couldn't afford the limit anyway!!:o DH and I don't smoke but some of our friends do and we'd like to get them for gifts. Thanks again!

Thanks Dave97402 and Cigar King for the advice!!:cool: We are cruising with friends (14 of us so far) to Havana in October and buying some Cuban cigars was on our wish list! Anyone know what restrictions are on how many one person is allowed to bring back to the U.S.?:confused: Of course, we probably couldn't afford the limit anyway!!:o DH and I don't smoke but some of our friends do and we'd like to get them for gifts. Thanks again!

We just did a Cuba cruise in August. The limit is 100 per person. Make sure you don't buy any off the street. Therebwas a really good shop that our driver took us to at the fort.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cigar King... Help I'm going South Caribbean Costa Maya Roatan and island of Belize for NCL Cruise Line can you please tell me where I could find real boxes of Cuban cigar this may be my only chance I'm leaving the country and I can get them please help someone

Probably only fakes cuban cigars for sale at the ports you named.

By the way that is a western Caribbean itinerary not South. Belize is not an island.

• 7 months later...
Outside of Cuba, buy your Cuban cigars at any "La Casa de Habanos"

That will be a certified seller of Cuban cigars

And to add to your correct advice, La Casa de Habanos has a store in Cozumel.

There's a "La Casa del Habano" in Cozumel. Is that the same thing as "La Casa de Habanos"? La Casa del Habano is a restaurant, bar, and sells cigars. Reviews say the owner rolls his own cigars, which are classified as Cubans. Wouldn't they need to be rolled in Cuba to be Cubans? I also haven't figured out if they sell name brand Cubans or not. I'm wondering if I should go here or to Havana Bob's Cuban Cigars (or somewhere else) when I visit Cozumel. Havana Bob's Cuban Cigars advertises that they sell genuine Cubans, and all reviews back that up.