ID THEFT During Check-IN - Watch OUT

heatherlsi

I agree with Goincruisin,

The SSN# on tha Carnival fun pass section is optional and I would never give it to them either there or if an agent asked for it during check-in.

You should never give out your SSN. The last time I did it was a goverment form for a business and I told the agency I didn't feel good about placing that on a form many people may see.

where can you check your credit report for no cost thanks

I think the website is annualcreditreport.com.

In regards to all the other scenarios, my parents transferred a balance from one card to another. A person who worked for the cc company stole their information and used it to buy several plane tickets. So you can do your best to hide your info, its the ones at the computer that you have to be wary of.

I just recently had an incident where my credit card company phoned me and asked if I had made certain charges. This was for stores in a shopping mall 50 miles from my home. Nope. Never shopped at that mall or visited it. The only thing I did the previous night was to use the card at a restaurant (about 75 miles from the mall). I still had my card. Have no idea how my credit card number got stolen and duplicated. I suspect it had to do with someone being paid off at the restaurant to get my number.

A second incident happened when I had added my wife to the safe deposit account at the bank. One Saturday, I came in from working in the yard and my wife told me that the bank had called. They wanted to know her social security number and her mother's maiden name because it was missed when she initially filled in the forms. I panicked. After fruitlessly checking for the bank's telephone number, I jumped into the car and drove straight to the bank. After a few inquiries, one of the bank personnel did say that she called for the information. Whew!! I told my wife to never give that information out to anyone telephoning in.

Hi:

This is all very useful information. My grown twins order items on-line and give out their cc numbers. I've never ordered anything on-line because I just don't trust the process.

During the Viet Nam War, my DH was in the Navy and his address for me to write him, in part, was his social security number on the front of the envelope. I'm sure that's not the way it's done today. I never put my SS# on anything if I have a choice. I like to enter a lot of contests and sometimes they ask for your SS# but I don't put it down.

Looking forward to cruise #35 in three weeks. We're having frightful weather here in the midwest and I'm really looking forward to it.

Happy Cruising.....Sparkle 10

I agree with Goincruisin,

The SSN# on tha Carnival fun pass section is optional and I would never give it to them either there or if an agent asked for it during check-in.

You should never give out your SSN. The last time I did it was a goverment form for a business and I told the agency I didn't feel good about placing that on a form many people may see.

I totally feel like an idiot! I really believed in the Homeland Security Background check thing...What should I do now?...is there a way to protect myself...stop people from getting cc applications aproved???

I will never understand states that list your SS# on your DL... That is insane. I don't carry my SS card with me for that very reason... it's crazy. We've never even had the option, thank goodness!!!!

Ohio issues a DL#, but unless particularly requested, they still put your SS# on your driver's license as well. When I requested to have my SS# removed from my license, I was strongly discouraged (believe it or not!!!) from doing so. Because I insisted on having the number removed, I was told that I would be required to present my actual Social Security card for any further transactions regarding my license or car registration.

I just recently had an incident where my credit card company phoned me and asked if I had made certain charges. This was for stores in a shopping mall 50 miles from my home. Nope. Never shopped at that mall or visited it. The only thing I did the previous night was to use the card at a restaurant (about 75 miles from the mall). I still had my card. Have no idea how my credit card number got stolen and duplicated. I suspect it had to do with someone being paid off at the restaurant to get my number.

Just curious as to if they figured out which restaurant? My husband was in restaurants in Downey, City of Industry, and Pasadena the week of 11/22 when his credit card info was stolen. The company thinks it also was a waiter at a restaurant. The person who stole it bought several hundred dollars of items at Champs Sports before it was shut off. It would be strange if it was the same restaurant (Mimi's Cafe, Claim Jumper, or Tony Roma's)

Just curious as to if they figured out which restaurant? ...

It was at Max's Restaurant in Glendale. The purchases were made at Macy's and Best Buy in Costa Mesa on the same evening (over $2,000). My previous credit card purchase was made at a gas station 3 days before. Quick work? Coincidence? I just wish I knew how it was done. Scary.

Was just curious if there was a connection with a specific restaurant. Doing a little "detective work". Guess not.

The credit card company told us that there are now scanning devices that have been attributed to the theft of credit card numbers. In my husband's situation, they think a server at a restaurant used the scanner when my husband gave him/her the credit card to pay for a meal. My husband got his card back, but the person got the info.

I totally feel like an idiot! I really believed in the Homeland Security Background check thing...What should I do now?...is there a way to protect myself...stop people from getting cc applications aproved???

Awww, don't feel like an idiot. I'm sure you're not the only one who assumed it was required when you entered your information online. (I'm speaking from experience here- My first two times I entered all of our SS numbers on the funpass)

If you're truly worried about someone getting your infomation you can have an alert put on your credit reports stating you have to be notified before anyone grants you credit. The only problem with that is that when/if you DO want to open an account (Say with Macy's or Brandsmart) It can take alot longer than usual and they will more likely turn you down instead of having someone call to verify all of your information.

Laura

There is something that went into effect this year called The Social Security Number Privacy Act (or to that effect). No one is allowed to display your social security # for purposes of identification any more. Items such as our Blue Cross cards that used SSN as the subscriber # have had to be replaced with random numbers and I can't image that it is legal for any state to display such information on a drivers license. At work, we've had to remove any reference to your SSN on timesheets, payroll checks, benefit papers, etc. And there would NEVER be ANY reason for a cruiseline to ask for it.

As to credit cards...one thing you can also do is check the receipt the server gives you to sign and leave for them. The print-out should only display the last 4 digits of your credit card #. (All the others should be "X" or "*" out...if not....carry a marker and blacken it out yourself before leaving the restaurant. They have already swiped the card into the machine and have no further need for the printed #.

Hope this helps a little!

Deb

As to credit cards...one thing you can also do is check the receipt the server gives you to sign and leave for them. The print-out should only display the last 4 digits of your credit card #. (All the others should be "X" or "*" out...if not....carry a marker and blacken it out yourself before leaving the restaurant. They have already swiped the card into the machine and have no further need for the printed #.

In our instance, the credit card company told us the scanners that are being used are separate from what they waiters scan your card to pay the bill. Once they scan them in their personal "scanner" they have your info and no amount of blacking out on a piece of paper will help.

Social security numbers are still being used in schools and universities as the ID number.

If yours still does this, you need to complain. Mine switched over earlier this year to a randomly assigned number.

The SS# field on your fun pass is optional, it is not a required field. Same with the physical documentation you get with your docs... you don't have to (nor would I ever) put your SS# down.

Yes, I noticed this when I filled out my passes and left it blank. They really SHOULD highlight that field and emphasize the optional nature of that info, or not ask for it at all.

Yes Carnival does ask for your SS #...online! When you fill out your Funpass check in form! I know because I did it last week and I did put my SS # in because I was told it was because of Homeland security back ground checks they are doing on the passengers...to avoid potential security risks...I just did it thinking I would feel better if everyone had a back ground check done...but what if they do have crooked employees....I didn't even think about it!

CRAP!

I also filled out my fun pass last week and included our SS numbers. I know I've been able to go back and edit certain things on the fun pass. I wonder if I can delete the SS numbers, or is it too late?

Hi Heather, (and anyone else reading this post)

Don't assume that your identity was stolen because of Carnival. I used to work in online fraud prevention for Western Union and I'm here to tell you..

all it takes for someone to steal your identity is your name. Once these thieves have your name- it's open season! They can find out anything about you, including spouse, children and parents names, date of birth, who your mortgage company is, how much you paid for your house...the list goes on and on. Go to the following websites and input your name- it is scary what is out there about you.

www.peoplefinders.com

www.reunitetonight.com

www.intelius.com

www.melissadata.com

You would be amazed that most of the people committing identity theft don't even reside in this country. I agree with a lot of the suggestions from the posters on here...and would also add a few things. The following website is a great resource for current scams and how to prevent people from getting your information.

http://www.idtheftcenter.org/alerts.shtml#specific

If you are going to shop online or go anywhere that you "swipe" a card to pay for something- use a prepaid gift card or pay in cash.

Don't leave your car registration in your vehicle- take it with you. If someone breaks into your car (or steals it) they have immediate access to your information...and heaven forbid if your garage door opener is in your car- then they have access to your house.

Just be cautious...especially when traveling!

Two points on this topic:

First: Federal law is very specific in limiting the use of social security numbers to employment related activities. You should never give the number to anyone other than your employer. (Having said that the financial services industry decided that since everyone has a unique SSN that they would use it too. You do not have to reveal your SSN to them but they do not have to extend credit to you either.)

Second: If you think about it whenever you let someone take possession of your credit card there is a possibility that the person will record the number and the extra code that is often asked for. It is very difficulty for someone to record the information by scanning the card, and the safest way to use your credit card is over the Internet from your home computer. If you do not agree remember that whenever your card is scanned at a store the information is transmitted to the bank either over the Internet or over the phone lines. Thus whether you want to admit it or not every time you use your credit or debit card the information is put on the Internet.

Bottom line, Be careful but do not over react, as reported in USA Today

( http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/techinnovations/2005-11-13-id-theft-numbers_x.htm ) identity theft is extremely rare, and your liability for unauthorized use of a credit card is limited to $50.

Hi Heather, (and anyone else reading this post)

Don't assume that your identity was stolen because of Carnival. I used to work in online fraud prevention for Western Union and I'm here to tell you..

all it takes for someone to steal your identity is your name. Once these thieves have your name- it's open season! They can find out anything about you, including spouse, children and parents names, date of birth, who your mortgage company is, how much you paid for your house...the list goes on and on. Go to the following websites and input your name- it is scary what is out there about you.

www.peoplefinders.com

www.reunitetonight.com

www.intelius.com

www.melissadata.com

You would be amazed that most of the people committing identity theft don't even reside in this country. I agree with a lot of the suggestions from the posters on here...and would also add a few things. The following website is a great resource for current scams and how to prevent people from getting your information.

http://www.idtheftcenter.org/alerts.shtml#specific

If you are going to shop online or go anywhere that you "swipe" a card to pay for something- use a prepaid gift card or pay in cash.

Don't leave your car registration in your vehicle- take it with you. If someone breaks into your car (or steals it) they have immediate access to your information...and heaven forbid if your garage door opener is in your car- then they have access to your house.

Just be cautious...especially when traveling!

I checked out some of the links you provided and I find some of them to be completely outrageous. For a fee (of course), they will help you obtain social security records (!), information on mortgages, debt, alimony and child support requirements, UNLISTED PHONE NUMBERS, etc. One site even had testimonials like the following "Your site is awesome! I was able to find out how much alimony and child support my neighbor has to pay!! Thanks!!!"

Unreal.:mad:

Archived