Viking Longships vs Other Viking River Ships

CrankySailor

Looking at the 8-day Romantic Danube cruise....and I can see itineraries on the Longships, as well as some "older" ships (specifically, the Prestige and Legend).

Have never done a river cruise, but have sailed on Viking Oceans, and I know they offer a high-quality product. Hoping someone with experience on the different Viking River ships has some thoughts here.

Thx.

We have been on three river cruises and one ocean cruise with Viking. All wonderful. We're booked on two back-to-back river cruises with Viking at the end of next year. Needless to say, we're big fans of Viking. We have been on an older model river ship and two of the longships. Liked both very much. No preference for either type. For us, it is just a decision based on the itinerary. We have done the trip you are looking at. Definitely recommend it.

Looking at the 8-day Romantic Danube cruise....and I can see itineraries on the Longships, as well as some "older" ships (specifically, the Prestige and Legend).

Have never done a river cruise, but have sailed on Viking Oceans, and I know they offer a high-quality product. Hoping someone with experience on the different Viking River ships has some thoughts here.

Thx.

We are doing the Danube waltz on April 20, 2018, looking forward to traveling on a longship. When we did the Rhine cruise,the longships had not been christened, so this will be a treat.

Just remember that the Viking ocean and Viking river are two different experiences.

Edited by Fpacifico
wrong cruise title

We have done four river trips on Viking, one on a Longship, one on China which is different than the other ships as it looks more like a small cruise ship, and two on the older river ships. Personally, we liked the older ships better than the Longship. While the Longship is more modern, what it has done is allow Viking to put more cabins on the ship or as my husband says, "jam more people into the ship and eliminate a decent shop and now just has a few things on a shelf in the main desk area. We, also, felt that the cabins seemed more cramped and we could hear people more easily in the cabins next to us than we did on the older ships. If someone is sitting on their balcony in the next cabin, you can hear their voices in your cabin, even with your door closed. Everyone has their own opinion about the newer longships versus the older ones but our preference is the older ships. Regardless, Viking does a nice job with whatever you decide to do. Best wishes for a great cruise.

We did a B2B in France in Nov/15 in which we were on an older ship for the first segment and a longship on the second segment. In addition to what the others have pointed out, I would like to add that it may depend on the room category you book. We booked the lowest category on both ships. There was a remarkable difference in the cabin. On the older ship, we had a tiny cabin with two narrow beds; one was a pullman. It was not comfortable. On the longship, we had the same type of bed as in other cabins that were very comfortable. So, if you're trying to economize with the lesser category cabin, I would book the longship.