This is New to Me for AIBP

Murray's Pop

When you look at the marketing of the sip & sail, it truly has been brilliant....prior to offering the first promo many itineraries were being sold last minute with deep discounts.....So Princess offered the sip & sail, for sailings several months out.....then after that offer another one grats, wine and upgrade(I think that was it) then other promos...

so when/if price drops come before final payment we that are paying attention have to make a decision..promo or not..for 2 of my sailings since I stayed with the promo...I figured I had to spend 35 dollars a day to break even.

When they offered the first sip & sail round they got me to bite..(1 cruise) and I bit on round 2(3 cruises, before I took my first cruise)...........I mean after all it's like having a new specialty restaurant...and now with round 3...I've decided to book grats etc...... the sip& sail is..worth it for me but not DH, however now with the price increase not so.

But these sip & sail promos I have been enticed to book cruises with Princess I would have never booked and they got me to book them a year before a cruise .....so they got me, how about you?

When you look at the marketing of the sip & sail, it truly has been brilliant....prior to offering the first promo many itineraries were being sold last minute with deep discounts.....So Princess offered the sip & sail, for sailings several months out.....then after that offer another one grats, wine and upgrade(I think that was it) then other promos...

so when/if price drops come before final payment we that are paying attention have to make a decision..promo or not..for 2 of my sailings since I stayed with the promo...I figured I had to spend 35 dollars a day to break even.

When they offered the first sip & sail round they got me to bite..(1 cruise) and I bit on round 2(3 cruises, before I took my first cruise)...........I mean after all it's like having a new specialty restaurant...and now with round 3...I've decided to book grats etc...... the sip& sail is..worth it for me but not DH, however now with the price increase not so.

But these sip & sail promos I have been enticed to book cruises with Princess I would have never booked and they got me to book them a year before a cruise .....so they got me, how about you?

I think you’re absolutely right about that. What I don’t know is the percentage of people who book under those promotions that actually make final payment and take the cruise. Certainly it’s easier to retain a booked passenger than to find a new one to take his place, and more profitable, especially if Princess has to fill their ships with Flash Fares. And that retention rate has long been an issue with cruise lines, with the average cabin turning over something like 7 times before sailing.

I think you’re absolutely right about that. What I don’t know is the percentage of people who book under those promotions that actually make final payment and take the cruise. Certainly it’s easier to retain a booked passenger than to find a new one to take his place, and more profitable, especially if Princess has to fill their ships with Flash Fares. And that retention rate has long been an issue with cruise lines, with the average cabin turning over something like 7 times before sailing.

Interesting......

Let's look at me as an example... I booked a three week itinerary on Majestic because of the sip & sale and EZ air. I searched the itineraries and though this one looks interesting...I would have never looked if the sip & sail was not offered.

Since we live 45 minutes from San Pedro in recent years I would often book a cruise last minute, but with the sip & sale I booked earlier. In fact last year with the S&S promo I booked a birthday cruise next month..which I never though I would go on, but wanted to have something on the books, Well, word got out that I had booked and it snow balled into several mini suites for family, because booking far out worked into their schedules. Now , I was stuck going...so much for that African Safari...LOL...They all took another promo and then came a price drop, 250. per cabin which i noticed and they benefited from not me as I kept the S&S, if I would have known the change was coming I probably would have taken their promo(grats) and price drop instead. As we are only saving a few hundred on our 2 drink packages on the 7 day cruise...but I love the convenience but price increases on bottle wines and no more 40% is disappointing.

Edited by land lover

Last year's Sip and Sail got us to switch from Celebrity and try Princess, since it let us cruise without flying (San Francisco, able to drive to the port area).

This year, even before we've BEEN on the cruise that we booked last year, the dollar deposit day, followed by the Sip and Sail got us to book a B2B2B with Princess.

We're keeping all four, so I'd say pretty successful.

By the way, we aren't boozehounds either. We DO, however, like the convenience of having most of the drinks paid for so no sticker shock at the end, plus not thinking about cost when ordering specialty coffees, teas, bottled waters, fresh squeezed juices, and all of the NON- alcohol options as well. :D:*

We can always just walk out. On our cruise leaving next Sunday our roll call represents a full 10% of passengers on the ship. If they implement something this stupid I think it would be great for the entire Meet and Greet group to walk out and leave the officers standing there alone

Cut off your nose to spite your face? What does that accomplish? It's a cruise - it is supposed to be a fun time.:rolleyes: