Travel agent price drop after booking

Hi!

I am hoping that someone might be able to offer me some advice. I booked a cruise through a travel agent about 6 months ago- a D2 cabin, and got what I thought was an ok price. Yesterday, I found out that the price through the travel agent for the same cabin category had dropped- by about $750. I contacted my travel agent, and was told that in order to get the reduced rate, I would have to cancel my already booked cabin (and lose my deposit of $500 per Royal's policy) and then rebook at the reduced rate. Has anyone had experience with this? Do you think that it is worth the time and effort for the savings?

I appreciate the advice!

If you are past final payment then yes you would lose your deposit.

If you are before final payment then you should be able to get the lower price unless the sale was restricted to new bookings only.

Edit...I am assuming that you are referring to your Dec cruise. You are past final payment and would lose your deposit.

You don't say when you're sailing. If you're already after final payment, they may not be ABLE to get you the lower rate. Royal does not have to honor fare drops after final payment. However, the non-refundable deposits only came out a couple of months ago. Therefore, a deposit made six shouldn't be non-refundable unless you've already passed the final payment date. Does this make sense?

You don't say when you're sailing. If you're already after final payment, they may not be ABLE to get you the lower rate. Royal does not have to honor fare drops after final payment. However, the non-refundable deposits only came out a couple of months ago. Therefore, a deposit made six shouldn't be non-refundable unless you've already passed the final payment date. Does this make sense?

Non refundable deposits do not matter as they are not changing sail dates and are eligible for price drops. I edited my post above as they are past final payment.