What does it mean?

letap

There are other abbreviations or phrases I've seen exclusively about cruising that took me awhile to figure out. Maybe there could be a permanent sticky thread for new people? I'm thinking of:

PAX -- passengers

AFT -- back of the boat (not an abbrv, but could be confusing)

C & A -- Crown & Anchor

Docs -- documents

CD -- cruise director (not the musical disc)

TA -- travel agent

MED cruise -- mediterranian (don't laugh, I 1st thought it meant a special medical needs cruise :o )

PC -- i still don't know what this means!

PC - I would have to see that one in context but it could mean:

Personal Choice dining (as another poster suggested)

or

Port Canaveral (as I have seen this abbreviated PC)

or

something else entirely. I usually figure it out by the subject being spoken about.

PC - I would have to see that one in context but it could mean:

Personal Choice dining (as another poster suggested)

or

Port Canaveral (as I have seen this abbreviated PC)

or

something else entirely. I usually figure it out by the subject being spoken about.

As you say... Context...

PC might be Politically Correct

"Saving deck chairs is not PC"

The only time abbreviations annoy me here are when they are used for a ship name.

ROS - Radiance or Rhapsody???

VOS - Voyager or Vision???

MOS - Mariner, Majesty or Monarch???

EOS - Explorer, Enchantment or Empress???

Sometimes I can figure it out by the topic or itinerary being discussed. Other times I'm like HUH??? :rolleyes: :p ;)

You forgot DOS.

Just wait till all the discussions about Freedom...we will say FOS and somebody will think we are telling them they are FULL OF "you know what.!"

Oh, I already have that kind of trouble. When one of my students writes that something is a noun instead of a verb (for instance), I write P.O.S. on the paper. Very wide-eyed, they want to know what P.O.S. stands for! (it's part of speech, but they first think, OMG, she said Piece of S***!)

They are very aggrivating abbreviations for people WAY to lazy to type in daughter, son, husband or wife.....

I refuse to use em, because in my 35 years of life I have never called any of my friends, family or kids dear ...

Hear Hear!! I hate this online society that can't spell so they make up phonetic versions of the words or they make up abbreviations. If I am writing about my wife, I will say "My wife" or state her name. I liked the internet a lot more when only computer savvy people used it.

:mad:

Hear Hear!! I hate this online society that can't spell so they make up phonetic versions of the words or they make up abbreviations. If I am writing about my wife, I will say "My wife" or state her name. I liked the internet a lot more when only computer savvy people used it.

:mad:

Do you mean the computer people that sat at their PC and put a DOS disc in their FDD, or those that had MS windows on their HD ?

Do you mean the computer people that sat at their PC and put a DOS disc in their FDD, or those that had MS windows on their HD ?

No, when people would write an email without saying LOL or ROTFL or IMHO. Or they would say something is "cool" instead of "kewl".

When I started in the computer industry I wrote programs on paper that was in turn punched onto 80 column cards. DOS was an operating of big mainframe systems and they were disk drives.

and to think i thought dh meant 2 body parts(wink) and imo was just a step below an hmo in terms of health care.....BETHORC......

I had to think for awhile on that DH.... I suppose your DH could be a DH....THEN... I thought for too long what BETHORC was at the end of your message as I had not look at the poster name:D

RBOrrell;

What is the difference between typing LOL in place of "Laughing out Loud" and saying DOS instead of "Disc Operating System". Do you type out "Personal Computer" every time?

IMHO, I think most of these came from the SMS (Short Message Service or "text messaging") environment that uses such a small (cell phone) screen it works better (also less expensive).

Also in the "early days" of computerdom (Maybe not quite as early as punch cards), some of us that thought we were "savvy" used telex to send messages. Being charged by message length, the messages we sent out would make the abbreviations used here look armature. We for the most part eliminated all the vowels.

With all that said.... yeah, I'm lazy, I don't type well, and If I can get away with typing "ROFLMAO" instead of.... hmmm, maybe there's another reason people use those.

Archived