Another Port Change San Juan now Cana (Punta Cana), Dominican Republic

aotmc

Check your updated itinerary. Ours says Cap Cana (Punta Cana). Hope this helps. One thing that hasn't appeared yet are tours. Have to give them some time as I'm sure they are working on it.

I chatted a HAL customer service rep online today about excursions and he said they should be loaded online before we all sail, but could not give a timeline. He suggested calling Exc phone number and said they might be able to book now, but I'd rather wait personally to see all my options first.

Cap Cana is the port where the tenders go. It's a marina. Punta Cana is the nearest town. It covers a pretty long stretch of beach, and Cap Cana is within Punta Cana. It has always been on our January itinerary, so I checked it out. The big thing to do seems to be going to the beach.

Thanks for the clarification. Is there a beach area right there (within walking distance) from where the tenders come in?

Thanks for the clarification. Is there a beach area right there (within walking distance) from where the tenders come in?

I haven't been there, but from my explorations on Googlemaps I'd say no. The tenders go into a marina and there are condos around the marina. There are beach areas, but they look like they belong to condo developments and may not be available to visitors. Take a look at the satellite view and you'll see what I mean.

Try asking on the Port of Call boards. Maybe someone who has been there can give you better advice.

My two cents. I'm on Oosterdam Nov. 5 and Eurodam Dec. 11. Both are affected with the loss of St. Maartin, St. Thomas, and San Juan. Be aware....Amber Cove is a Carnival created port. Before Carnival developed it, there was little there. Still, the Dominican Republic boasts beautiful beaches and resorts which will appeal to some. I suspect that we will be offered "rain forest tours" which will appeal to others. Personally, I prefer the ports that have been damaged and dropped from the itineraries. Still....the creative cruiser with the right mindset will find something in each port. Try to be creative. Or....some veteran cruisers may not leave the ship at all. As they say, "it's all good". Enjoy your cruises wherever they may take you.

Punta Cana is on our itinerary for January. It always has been, so I can see tours when I log in to my account. They offer some beach options, 2 snorkel trips, trips to see the countryside (including on on horseback), trips to learn about coconuts and see some moneys. A trip to learn about chocolate, cigars, and coffee.

I don't understand? Policy pays refund if ports change?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is an Itinerary Change benefit on our Nationwide Insurance Choice Cruise policy that pays up to $750. I don't know how the actual benefit is calculated. We had two out of four ports changed, so if it pays 50%, that will more than cover the premium for the policy. Like any other travel policy claim, you have to jump through some hoops to document everything, but it's common sense stuff.