London confused Oyster, Travelcard & London Pass

smm0218

The chart I’m looking out from the TFL website says the Daily Anytime cap for Zones 1-9 is £17.20, while the Daily Off-Peak cap is £12.10. Or should I be looking at Zones 1-9 + Shenfield? Our first journey will be after 10:00 a.m. on a Saturday, so that should be off-peak.

Never mind, found the chart that lists caps for "beyond Zone 9," which apparently Gatwick Airport is. Your info is correct, Cotswold Eagle. But I suspect you already know that. :cool:

oK, MY MIND IS SPINNING...we will arrive in London...take a train to Brighton Beach for an airbnb ...stay 4 days there...first question anyday :D suggestions to go to from there? Then a train to Southampton for a one night airbnb before a 14 day Baltic cruise...then back to London by train for 4 nights until" home again giggidy gig" We just spent 9 days in Cornwall and Devon at airbnb's before a Great Britian cruise but rented a car. After 2 flat tires and heaven only knows how many dirt roads to nowhere we will do this next adventure by train.

Can I buy a 2for1 rail day for the before and after trains...or just daily? We will be there Sept 2018 and I'm sure many Brits will still be on vacation.

trains in the UK are very expensive unless booked in advance. so you'd need to be very organised and choose train times as well. Once in London daily payment is fine but I wouldn't do it for longer train journeys.The schools in the UK go back at the start of September so It will still be busy and good weather but not as many families.

trains in the UK are very expensive unless booked in advance. so you'd need to be very organised and choose train times as well. Once in London daily payment is fine but I wouldn't do it for longer train journeys.The schools in the UK go back at the start of September so It will still be busy and good weather but not as many families.

Thank you so much, Do you know how far in advance...I tried now LOL

Ha ha usually 12 weeks in advance for cheapest fares. Also look at a company called megabus. They do trains as well ,at rock bottom prices for select trains, which if you are flexible time wise, can be a bargain. I've lots of experience in London so if you need any more help just shout!

Can I buy a 2for1 rail day for the before and after trains...or just daily? We will be there Sept 2018 and I'm sure many Brits will still be on vacation.

It's not clear what you mean by "2for1 rail day"? Are you talking about the 2FOR1 days out offers, which allow 2 for 1 entry to certain attractions using a rail ticket and voucher (mentioned earlier in this thread)? Or a Two Together railcard, which costs £30 and gives discounts on rail fares for two named persons travelling together?

Or am I missing your point entirely?!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have no point and what I do have is missing:eek: Is there a site I can go to that explains everything???:confused: In a nutshell I'll be using rail from Heathrow to Brighton Beach...then, after 4 days, Brighten Beach to Southampton...then a cruise for 14 days..then train from Southampton to Aloft London Excel where we will be for 3 nights then train to Sheraton Heathrow to leave the next day for home....so the question is ...is there some kind of pass I can buy for 2 people that will work for all transportation and sites in London...that will cover this time period??? We are talking about almost the whole month of Sept 2018. We are in our 70's and my husband has had a few mini strokes so he doesn't think as clear as I do....I take that back..he didn't think as clear as I do even before the strokes LOL :halo:I regress...I need to have all of my ducks in a row and I am starting a year ahead of time because even I know ducks can wander away., die, get fish hooks caught in there neck etc ( obviously we once had duck adventures )..so I would like to know back up plans also.....THANK YOU:*

It's a shame we aren't traveling together, we could have a duck parade. :)

I, too belong to the ducks in a row camp, and have a DH who prefers not to be bothered with the details but assumes I'll automatically know the right answer, from where to go to get the shuttle, how we were getting from airport to hotel had never entered his mind, to what to do when the ship arrived late and excursion meeting place changed. Having those ducks marching in order saved our Alaskan cruise.

It's a shame we aren't traveling together, we could have a duck parade. :)

I, too belong to the ducks in a row camp, and have a DH who prefers not to be bothered with the details but assumes I'll automatically know the right answer, from where to go to get the shuttle, how we were getting from airport to hotel had never entered his mind, to what to do when the ship arrived late and excursion meeting place changed. Having those ducks marching in order saved our Alaskan cruise.

Yah...travel is not what it's quacked up to be:rolleyes: Mine never knows what day it is..or where he is...but is the first to give advice to someone or to answer a question but halfway through he realizes he doesn't know what he's saying and calls me over to give the answers and of course I don't know the question or the person:p...and this was BEFORE his strokes LOL But I wouldn't trade him for anything:hearteyes:

I have no point and what I do have is missing:eek: Is there a site I can go to that explains everything???:confused: In a nutshell I'll be using rail from Heathrow to Brighton Beach...then, after 4 days, Brighten Beach to Southampton...then a cruise for 14 days..then train from Southampton to Aloft London Excel where we will be for 3 nights then train to Sheraton Heathrow to leave the next day for home....so the question is ...is there some kind of pass I can buy for 2 people that will work for all transportation and sites in London...that will cover this time period??? We are talking about almost the whole month of Sept 2018. We are in our 70's and my husband has had a few mini strokes so he doesn't think as clear as I do....I take that back..he didn't think as clear as I do even before the strokes LOL :halo:I regress...I need to have all of my ducks in a row and I am starting a year ahead of time because even I know ducks can wander away., die, get fish hooks caught in there neck etc ( obviously we once had duck adventures )..so I would like to know back up plans also.....THANK YOU:*

Long posts like this with questions about different towns and cities get really complicated to answer [emoji846]

You are asking about a pass for London attractions and travel, mention the "whole month of September", but only appear to be in London for three days post-cruise.

As a rule you will need to buy a ticket or pass each, not look for something that covers two people - so one rail ticket, Oyster card or travel card each.

By Brighton Beach, do you mean Brighton on the south coast of England? That's just over an hour by train from London, so given you are staying in London post-cruise it seems to make little sense to come up to the city from Brighton? It's probably worth a separate thread if you need help with what to do in Brighton.

For the days in London (is there a reason you are staying out at the Excel?) your choices are as outlined in this thread:

- the London Pass covering entry to many (not all) attractions in London, which can be bought with an Oyster card for travel

- only pay for the specific attractions you want to visit and buy your own travel, either using Oyster cards or, if you want to use the2FOR1 offer at certain attractions, paper ticket travel cards bought from a rail station.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Long posts like this with questions about different towns and cities get really complicated to answer [emoji846]

You are asking about a pass for London attractions and travel, mention the "whole month of September", but only appear to be in London for three days post-cruise.

As a rule you will need to buy a ticket or pass each, not look for something that covers two people - so one rail ticket, Oyster card or travel card each.

By Brighton Beach, do you mean Brighton on the south coast of England? That's just over an hour by train from London, so given you are staying in London post-cruise it seems to make little sense to come up to the city from Brighton? It's probably worth a separate thread if you need help with what to do in Brighton.

For the days in London (is there a reason you are staying out at the Excel?) your choices are as outlined in this thread:

- the London Pass covering entry to many (not all) attractions in London, which can be bought with an Oyster card for travel

- only pay for the specific attractions you want to visit and buy your own travel, either using Oyster cards or, if you want to use the2FOR1 offer at certain attractions, paper ticket travel cards bought from a rail station.

OK going to Brighton Beach before going to Southampton for the cruise then train to London from Southampton. The reason for Excel is Starwood Pts so you can't beat free LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

;p Thank you for the help so far...good thing I have plenty of time to plan ! Don't know why part of my answer is on the bottom of your answer ??

You are still not really giving us all the information we need to help you. I'll try again:

- have you planned how to get from Heathrow to Brighton (note this is the name of the city, not Brighton Beach)? That's not a straightforward journey and there are several options.

- what are you planning to do in Brighton - this thread is about London travel, so you may be better off starting another thread if you need help?

- have you planned your journey from Brighton to Southampton - again that's not really a London travel issue?

- your hotel is attached to the ExCel International Convention Centre in the Docklands area of East London (and next to the London City Airport). It is an odd choice for anyone wanting to do the 'usual' tourist sites. It is right by Prince Regent Docklands Light Railway (DLR) station, which is a separate system to the tube, but covered by the same payments structure - Oyster etc. It will take about 20 minutes from there to get to Tower Gateway, which is east of the City of London (next to Tower of London). For the sites in Westminster, such as the Abbey, Buckingham Palace etc you will need to change to the tube at Tower Gateway and travel another 20 minutes or so. Note you will be in Zone Three at your hotel, so the Oyster cap/travelcard price will be slightly higher. Nothing beats free as long as you don't mind travelling on trains [emoji846]

You are still not really giving us all the information we need to help you. I'll try again:

- have you planned how to get from Heathrow to Brighton (note this is the name of the city, not Brighton Beach)? That's not a straightforward journey and there are several options.

- what are you planning to do in Brighton - this thread is about London travel, so you may be better off starting another thread if you need help?

- have you planned your journey from Brighton to Southampton - again that's not really a London travel issue?

- your hotel is attached to the ExCel International Convention Centre in the Docklands area of East London (and next to the London City Airport). It is an odd choice for anyone wanting to do the 'usual' tourist sites. It is right by Prince Regent Docklands Light Railway (DLR) station, which is a separate system to the tube, but covered by the same payments structure - Oyster etc. It will take about 20 minutes from there to get to Tower Gateway, which is east of the City of London (next to Tower of London). For the sites in Westminster, such as the Abbey, Buckingham Palace etc you will need to change to the tube at Tower Gateway and travel another 20 minutes or so. Note you will be in Zone Three at your hotel, so the Oyster cap/travelcard price will be slightly higher. Nothing beats free as long as you don't mind travelling on trains [emoji846]

When we were inCornwal we took the train everywhere and were very impressed.. I signed up to take the tour from the ship to stop at Westminister and then onto the airport. Then we will take the tube to the docks. I guess that will be the best place to buy the Oyster. I am downloading all of your posts to me to take with us. I really appreciate the trouble your going through:* Will it be easier to leave the bus in Westminster to go to the Docklands or just go on to the Airport:o I may have to find out once we are onboard to see where else the tour will take us before the airport. I wanted to spend time in Bath and the Cotswold but could't find any airbnb's available during that time since so many Brits are still on vacation. :p When I looked up the trains it looked like the train station is close to our airbnb in Dorset Gardens, Brighton and that apt is within walking to the beach...am I wrong??? Then the train just goes into Southampton when we are ready.

I signed up to take the tour from the ship to stop at Westminister and then onto the airport. Then we will take the tube to the docks. I guess that will be the best place to buy the Oyster. ... Will it be easier to leave the bus in Westminster to go to the Docklands or just go on to the Airport:o I may have to find out once we are onboard to see where else the tour will take us before the airport.

You said earlier you were taking the train from Southampton to London? If by "the airport" you mean Heathrow, it makes no sense at all for you to transfer to there - it is outside London completely the opposite side to where you are heading. If you can get off in Westminster, take the Jubilee line from Westminster to Canning Town, change there for the DLR to Prince Regent. NB This is a much better route to/from your hotel than going in to Tower Gateway, it will take about 30 minutes.

I wanted to spend time in Bath and the Cotswold but could't find any airbnb's available during that time since so many Brits are still on vacation. :p .

I don't know why you would assume that - these are world famous destinations with many, many international visitors too. But the idea that there is no accommodation available for next year is ridiculous. I just searched AirBnB for some random dates in September 2018 in the Cotswolds and got 306 options [emoji846]

When I looked up the trains it looked like the train station is close to our airbnb in Dorset Gardens, Brighton and that apt is within walking to the beach...am I wrong??? Then the train just goes into Southampton when we are ready.

I do not know Brighton at all. Google maps shows it to be about a mile from the station. Yes, there are regular, frequent, direct trains from Brighton to Southampton, taking just under two hours. To be clear, you will need a separate ticket for this journey - none of the London options that this thread is actually about cover transport to/from Brighton.

Edited by Cotswold Eagle