More last minute *GT rates

moki'smommy

2009 was a time of great reductions in cruise fares. In March' date=' 2009 there was a cruise where several hundred cabins were sold as GTYs (this was before the *GTs were started). We were on a 7 night Magic cruise in March and again in May. In March, it seemed as though DCL tossed all the GTYs into their computer and made random room assignments with no regard to reservations which may have been linked. Families were literally scattered all over the ship. When the assignments came out, people started making arrangements on line to trade rooms in order to place families nearer together. Shoreside instructed people that any changes would have to be made in person after boarding, Guest Services was swamped on embarkation day as people wanted to re-key rooms, and there were MANY complaints as to how things were handled. It really didn't matter to us as we had only one room and had received an upgrade over what we'd booked.

By May, the whole system had been sorted out so that linked cabins were typically placed near, if not next to each other. No more on line complaints or fussing. Interestingly, in May we were in 2 cabins--we were next to each other and got the same upgrade we'd had in March![/quote']

well at least they learned their lesson!!

i didn't know they keep linked reservations together or near each other in the event of an upgrade.

i marked us as no upgrade for this past cruise because i was afraid we wouldn't be nearby.

that's very good to know!!

i didn't know they keep linked reservations together or near each other in the event of an upgrade.

i marked us as no upgrade for this past cruise because i was afraid we wouldn't be nearby.

If you selected a cabin number and the cabins are linked, IF they upgraded you (EXTREMELY RARE in this case, by the way - usually only for mechanical issues with the chosen cabin OR a guest performer/guest performer's family last minute), they would do their best. Again, the odds are VERY slim that cabins where you selected a cabin will EVER be upgraded.

If you book a GTY or a *GT, they will try, but there is still no guarantee that the cabins will be close together. It could be that the two available cabins they have in the category (I would be shocked if they upgraded one cabin on a linked and not another) are nowhere close to each other. They are not going to move people who booked specific cabins just to put two GTY or *GT cabins together. So sometimes they simply cannot keep GTY or *GT together, and people need to read the fine print going in. If rooms together is a must, then GTY or *GT is not the way to go.

They've learned over the years. Many people would not want an upgrade unless all cabins in their family or linked group received a similar upgrade and stayed together. Basically, in recent years you will not be upgraded unless it involves all cabins in your "group" and is the same basic type of cabins you had. For example, if you booked connecting cabins, you won't be upgraded unless it is to another pair of connecting cabins.

However, there are things that they don't look at. You may have booked an oceanview midship cabin specifically because you wanted midship. You could be "upgraded" to a balcony cabin in the forward area, which might not meet your desires at all. If you have an attachment to an area or a particular cabin feature, you are best noting "no upgrade."

A designation that works on some other lines is "Meta upgrade only." I have no idea what "meta" stands for, but what it means is that you are ok with an upgrade that changes the type of cabin--inside to oceanview, balcony to mini-suite, or whatever but you do not want a move from one balcony cabin to a supposedly better location. While the cruise line may designate what is a more expensive location, many of us have different ideas as to why a particular area is "better."

No' date=' these are not FL res rates. They are *GT rates--also called "restricted rates." You do need to read the restrictions before booking. The main ones are that you can't make any changes to the reservation after booking (no add on people, taking people off, name changes, etc.), they are totally non-refundable, must be paid in full at the time of booking, and while you get to choose your cabin type, you do not get to choose a room number or category. After boarding, your room will not be changed just because you've decided that you don't like the room. You will be moved if there is something wrong with the room that can't be repaired quickly.

These rates are available to anyone.

I strongly suggest travel insurance since they are totally non-refundable thru DCL.[/quote']

You can add people if the rate is available. You just can't subtract. All cruise become unrefundable at some point usually around 30 days before sailing. You should buy insurance no matter what rate you book.

You can't change your room, but you can still upgrade at port if rooms are available.

You can add people if the rate is available. You just can't subtract. All cruise become unrefundable at some point usually around 30 days before sailing. You should buy insurance no matter what rate you book.

You can't change your room, but you can still upgrade at port if rooms are available.

All true, but--you MIGHT be able to add people if an appropriate room that will hold the additions is available and there is room at the muster station. There is no promise that you can add.

Unless they've changed policies on normal bookings, DCL gives a partial refund up to 7 days before embarkation.

My point on the travel insurance is that normally, you can get a full refund up to 90 or 120 days before embarkation, so some people opt to not buy in advance of that. (yes, we always do, but that's a different subject). Whether someone should or should not buy travel insurance is a personal decision. I could afford to lose the cost of a cruise--I'd be unhappy, but I could afford the loss. I can not afford the cost of a major medical situation on board and my insurance specifically excludes care outside the US. Thus, I buy trip insurance. Others have other reasons for their choices.

And yes, upgrades at port can be purchased by anyone when they are available.

All true' date=' but--you MIGHT be able to add people if an appropriate room that will hold the additions is available and there is room at the muster station. There is no promise that you can add.

Unless they've changed policies on normal bookings, DCL gives a partial refund up to 7 days before embarkation.

My point on the travel insurance is that normally, you can get a full refund up to 90 or 120 days before embarkation, so some people opt to not buy in advance of that. (yes, we always do, but that's a different subject). Whether someone should or should not buy travel insurance is a personal decision. I could afford to lose the cost of a cruise--I'd be unhappy, but I could afford the loss. I can not afford the cost of a major medical situation on board and my insurance specifically excludes care outside the US. Thus, I buy trip insurance. Others have other reasons for their choices.

And yes, upgrades at port can be purchased by anyone when they are available.[/quote']

GT rates are usually offered 60 to 30 days out. Most cruises even if booked years in advance are into the heavy penalty period at this point. As far as adding a person. All you have to do is go online try to book a cruise with the additional person and if it comes up available with the GT rate call and add them. Musters station aren't that big a deal because they don't assign the rooms until about a week before the cruise anyway. It's 14 days until the cruise becomes 100% nonrefundable. At 30 days you can get a 25% refund. I think the nonrefundable thing is kind of a mute point. If you book a cruise with a GT rate a month before you're pretty much in the same boat as far as penalties go as someone that booked a year out. Also you can buy DCL insurance when you book a GT rate. I think their insurance is cancel for any reason. I buy from a third party because it's less money.

GT rates are usually offered 60 to 30 days out. Most cruises even if booked years in advance are into the heavy penalty period at this point. As far as adding a person. All you have to do is go online try to book a cruise with the additional person and if it comes up available with the GT rate call and add them. Musters station aren't that big a deal because they don't assign the rooms until about a week before the cruise anyway. It's 14 days until the cruise becomes 100% nonrefundable. At 30 days you can get a 25% refund. I think the nonrefundable thing is kind of a mute point. If you book a cruise with a GT rate a month before you're pretty much in the same boat as far as penalties go as someone that booked a year out. Also you can buy DCL insurance when you book a GT rate. I think their insurance is cancel for any reason. I buy from a third party because it's less money.

I'm not going to get into a squabble over details. However, it is worth noting that you can but third party insurance at the time you book a *GT--typically it costs a lot less than DCL insurance (not always based on age of cruisers), and depending on the company, often includes coverage for pre-existing conditions if purchased within a specified time of the booking. You are not limited to insurance sold thru DCL just because you booked a *GT. My opinion--the coverage that DCL sells is not very good and is overpriced.

I'm not going to get into a squabble over details. However' date=' it is worth noting that you can but third party insurance at the time you book a *GT--typically it costs a lot less than DCL insurance (not always based on age of cruisers), and depending on the company, often includes coverage for pre-existing conditions if purchased within a specified time of the booking. You are not limited to insurance sold thru DCL just because you booked a *GT. My opinion--the coverage that DCL sells is not very good and is overpriced.[/quote']

Didn't I just say you can buy third party insurance and it's cheaper?:confused:

Didn't I just say you can buy third party insurance and it's cheaper?:confused:

No, you didn't You said that YOU buy third party insurance. And one might infer that this was on *GTs as well as regular bookings based on the topic, your phrasing about DCL insurance might cause some to doubt that.

You also said that you think that a policy purchased thru DCL is "cancel for any reason," which is not accurate in the normal use of the term. What DCL does offer is that if the insurance refuses to pay for a claim of a canceled cruise, the cruise line will credit a portion of the cruise fare toward a future cruise. There is a time restriction and it must be the same passenger as originally booked. It cannot be obtained as a cash refund as one would expect on a "cancel for any reason," and it is not the full cruise fare.

No' date=' you didn't You said that YOU buy third party insurance. And one might infer that this was on *GTs as well as regular bookings based on the topic, your phrasing about DCL insurance might cause some to doubt that.

You also said that you think that a policy purchased thru DCL is "cancel for any reason," which is not accurate in the normal use of the term. What DCL does offer is that if the insurance refuses to pay for a claim of a canceled cruise, the cruise line will credit a portion of the cruise fare toward a future cruise. There is a time restriction and it must be the same passenger as originally booked. It cannot be obtained as a cash refund as one would expect on a "cancel for any reason," and it is not the full cruise fare.[/quote']

All due respect I think it was pretty clear what I meant. I buy third part insurance on GT bookings. Dcl insurance can also be bought when booking a GT rate. If you want to disect the nuances of cruise insurance. Go right ahead I won't stand in your way.I would assume anybody booking a cruise is capable of reading the policies. for themselves.

They've learned over the years. Many people would not want an upgrade unless all cabins in their family or linked group received a similar upgrade and stayed together. Basically' date=' in recent years you will not be upgraded unless it involves all cabins in your "group" and is the same basic type of cabins you had. For example, if you booked connecting cabins, you won't be upgraded unless it is to another pair of connecting cabins.

However, there are things that they don't look at. You may have booked an oceanview midship cabin specifically because you wanted midship. You could be "upgraded" to a balcony cabin in the forward area, which might not meet your desires at all. If you have an attachment to an area or a particular cabin feature, you are best noting "no upgrade."

A designation that works on some other lines is "Meta upgrade only." I have no idea what "meta" stands for, but what it means is that you are ok with an upgrade that changes the type of cabin--inside to oceanview, balcony to mini-suite, or whatever but you do not want a move from one balcony cabin to a supposedly better location. While the cruise line may designate what is a more expensive location, many of us have different ideas as to why a particular area is "better."[/quote']

right - that's why i indicated no upgrade on the last cruise - we were with my daughter and son in law who only cruise mid-ship

so upgrading was out of the question..

i have less of an issue with it.....well i used to, but in 2012 i was very far forward since we were concierge on the dream where you have no choice but to be forward..

turns out as long as i have my seabands on, it doesn't matter if i'm forward, aft, or midship..