Oscar Brown & Company

Ventura

• 2 weeks later...

After reading all of the praise given this excursion with Oscar Brown I went ahead and contacted him via e-mail. Received a return e-mail the next day confirming tour #1 on the 13th of March 07. I thought that it would be too early to book with him but to my surprise it was simple. No payment due until after the tour is complete. He does not at this time accept credit cards only good old US $$. The price of tour #1 is $45. PP and he will be waiting for us on the pier with our name on a card. Tour #1 goes to Tortuguero Canal by boat, a banana plantation, coco bean farm, City tour and an Animal Preserve for personal contact with them. Soft drinks are included and there is a stop made to purchase souvenirs and Coffee. It goes for 5 hours. Sounds to me like a really full and fun time. Can't wait to go now....:)

cappy, i am booked with the same tour for next april already with oscar also. carole who is his helper was very easy to work with,n and like you , they got in touch with me immediately. it was very easy to make a tour and i am all set to go. it sounds like a great time and i cant wait to take this tour with him. when you get back make sure you let us know how it went so we can look forward to a great time with oscar or one of his helpers.

have fun on your cruise.

Ron,

Oscar has a website that is under construction. He had a person that was taking a tour with him that was going to set up a website for him. She has started it, but for some reason hasn't finished it. I know Oscars sister got pictures and other information to this person but it still remains unfinished.

Hopefully this lady will finish the website, as it really looks good so far.

here is a link to what is on the internet right now. Remember it is still waiting for this lady to finish it.http://www.oscarbrown.com

You can get an idea of the tours that he offers. Just remember that he can and will do an individual tour for you if you have a group of people. Just let him know what you want to do and he will give you a price.

What ever you do with him or one of his associates you should have a great time.

• 4 weeks later...

This will be our first cruise... we sail on the Coral Oct. 23 this year... and our first tour with Oscar.

I emailed & Carol replied the next day. She was very prompt with replying to all my questions and nailing down the tour we wanted to take. I think it shows a lot getting such a quick reply. I've tried emailing other operators with little or no response.

We're doing a combo tour of #1 & #2. Ziplining and the canal. Oughta be a great day!

I'll come back here after the cruise and write a review of Oscars excursion.

This will be our first cruise... we sail on the Coral Oct. 23 this year... and our first tour with Oscar.

I emailed & Carol replied the next day. She was very prompt with replying to all my questions and nailing down the tour we wanted to take. I think it shows a lot getting such a quick reply. I've tried emailing other operators with little or no response.

We're doing a combo tour of #1 & #2. Ziplining and the canal. Oughta be a great day!

I'll come back here after the cruise and write a review of Oscars excursion.

SAME HERE.

So far great service from Carol. Answard all my questions right away.

Travling with 2 people that are in there 80's. They told me they would take them to a near by village for a tour while we do the zipline tour..

We are also doing tour 1 and 2 on Nov.6th. (Will be on the Holland American Amsterdam)

Will give a full report when we get back.

Can't wait.:)

John

• 1 month later...

Musicmansmom,

What are you doing about our cruise? Did you get the notice that Carnival has changed it to a 4 day cruise!!!! No way do I want to be on a 4 day cruise out of Ft Lauderdale during Spring Break. I've had my Spring Break days and I don't want to relive them. We were hoping an 8 day would help eliminate some of that. We switched weeks and will do this one first on our B2B. That meant we had to contact Oscar and reschedule for March 28.

Nita,

What are you going to do with Oscar when you cruise? Be sure to come back and post about your tour, it helps other cruisers decide who they want to use when they are in Costa Rica.

We are doing tour number 1 which is the river boat and a tour of the city. It is about 4 to 4.5 hours long which is just what we like. It will give us time to check out the shops and get back to the ship in time to relax. I will let you know how it goes as soon as we return.

Nita

Hi, just got back on Nov.10th. We where on HAL "Amsterdam" and used Oscar on Nob 6,2006

Monday November 6th.

Puerto Limon, Costa Rica: To start off with I can really say that, Costa Rica is a beautiful place to visit and I cant wait to go back to spend more time there seeing more of this country and doing some diving.

As I was watching the sun come up over the mountain of Costa Rica I was really impress on how green the mountains looked. Yes I know I was looking at a jungle on the mountains but you got to remember I live in Colorado and our mountains DO NOT look like anything like what I was looking at.

I got everybody up by 7AM so that we could meet our tour by 8:30AM. Again I brought breakfast to Jake in the room. He just does not like getting up early.

This was going to be another long day for Richard and Mom but only about 6 hours.

I had made arrangements through , Oscar Brown Tours http://www.oscarbrowntours.com/ It started to rain as we started our tour but it was not too bad and it seemed to stop every time we got out of the van, with the exception of our stop at the banana plantation where it came down in buckets. Hey what do you expect when you are in the Jungle.

Anyway at the banana plantation it was no big deal as we where covered by a building while watching the worker cut the banana plant and sort them, wash them and pack them for shipping all over the world. I found this a very interesting stop. From there we stop at a small home along the road where Oscar showed us different types of plants and coffee beans plants, as well as a sloth and some other type of critters. After that it was on to our tour of the “Tortuguero Canal”. This tour on a small boat took us through the rain forest, (yes it was raining) where we saw the native wildlife, including, alligators, monkeys and more sloth’s and a variety of different types of birds and plants..

Oscar dropped us off at hotel Bary where our boat through the canal and our guide HARLIN was waiting.

This was a one hour trip and HARLIN really made this trip for us. He knew his wildlife and the local plants. He fond the plant that they make Channel #5 out of. All we did is rub a few leafs from this plant on our hands and our hands smelled nice all day. We kept sniffing our fingers through out the tour.

HARLIN was an excellent guide and if you do book through Oscar Brown make sure that he gets you HARLIN for your tour through the Tortuguero Canal.

In fact I wish Harlin was our guide through the whole day. He really know his stuff and told us a lot of interesting things about Costa Rica that Oscar did not tell us.

I’m glad we did go through Oscar Brown Tours because it was much cheaper then the ship and we where a small group of 6. But Oscar needs to learn more about Costa Rica and the history and be more outgoing and telling us things with out us having to ask. He was more of a driver then a guide. Oscar you have a good new business that you are starting but you need to tell your guest more information and be more outgoing, telling us about life in Costa Rica and how you and the people live in Costa Rica.

Anyway back to our tour. After our Canal tour Oscar dropped Jake and myself off at “Brisas de la Jungal

http://www.junglebreeze.com for our canopy zip line tour. Mom and Richard got some more of a tour of the area while we went zip lining.

WOW what a great time. If you want an adrenaline rush then this is the tour for you! Glide through the treetops with this exhilarating adventure: 12 cables and 13 platforms stretched across the length of the rain forest. The longest cable is 270m long and you will experience heights up to 60FT. Here you can enjoy the gripping thrill of the wind in your face as you soar through the rain forest witnessing some of the most spectacular views. Even though it was lightly raining while we where doing our zip-line we never really did get that wet. I guest the heat and humidly help kept us dried. Our two guides Jamie and I forgot the other person name where very professional and safety came first over everything else. What a great afternoon we had zip-lining over the rain forest in the jungle. Jake had a great time talking with Jamie as she was just starting collage. She is taking tourism classes to be a tour guide in her beautiful country.

Oscar was waiting for us with Mom and Richard as we finish our zip line and after saying are good by’s to our zip line guides and give them a very nice tip it was off to the ship. Mom and Richard where tired now so we did not do any more stops. After saying good by to Oscar. Mom and Richard headed back to the ship. Jake and I headed into town to look around and to by some coffee.

The town of Puerto Limon is not much to see but right at the dock they do have booths set up to sell you anything you might want and I did find the prices better there then in town so we did all our buying by the dock. But if you do get a chance to go into town go for it. We did feel safe and it’s something you should see.

Would I use Oscar again? Sure why not. He did all the planning for us.

Every place we stop at, we had excellent guides waiting for us and we did not have to worrie about a thing.

so why not. :)

• 4 weeks later...

We just got back from our wonderful Amsterdam cruise; the highlight was Costa Rica and choosing Oscar for our tour added to the adventure. he was informative, funny and very nice. Because I have a fear of not making it back to the ship on time we took the 4 plus hour tour. We did a 2 hour tour of the city and countryside including stopping at the banana plantation, touring it, stopping to see a slooth and some mean racoons plus a wonderful river eco tour, allowing us to view some pretty cool wildlife. Oscar, charges $45.00 while a few others only charge $39.00 but they do not actually tour the plantation, nor do the tour guides give you the same type of tour. NMNita

We were on the same Amsterdam cruise and took the same tour as Nita and her DH and friends. I agree with her 100%. Oscar was professional and always willing to do a little extra.

I learnt many things about bananas. For example sometimes they are not round, but have edges. Want to know more? Take Oscar's tour.

Port Limon was unique for ports of call as it did not seem to have any high rises or sprawling resorts. Not a bit like Aruba. Real estate is a bargain and according to Oscar there are some retirees from up North who settle there.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I gather Oscar only has tours in Puerto Limon? :( Darn! We're porting in Puntarenas, which I believe is on the other side of Costa Rica. I guess I can always send him an email to see if there is anyone he recommends in Puntarenas. Y'all got me all excited about Oscar and we probably won't be able to go with him! Oh well, I guess this is a good reason to cruise again and make sure we stop in Puerto Limon.

Anyone have thoughts about Puntarenas?

Thanks...Pam

So, I gather Oscar only has tours in Puerto Limon? :( Darn! We're porting in Puntarenas, which I believe is on the other side of Costa Rica. I guess I can always send him an email to see if there is anyone he recommends in Puntarenas. Y'all got me all excited about Oscar and we probably won't be able to go with him! Oh well, I guess this is a good reason to cruise again and make sure we stop in Puerto Limon.

Anyone have thoughts about Puntarenas?

Thanks...Pam

Pam ,i did not read the entire thread so if i am repeating a post please excuse me. We have toured with Oscar, he is very good. Come this Feb we will be docking in Punarenas, we are using Charlie Soto, I have read excellent reviews. Hope this helps ( you can go on one of four tours,:ziplining, canals, plantations etc....)

okeydokeytours@hotmail.com

Nadine

Pam,

Email Oscar, the last time I toured with him I believe he was talking about tours in Puntarenas. If he doesn't do tours there he will give you a recommendation of who to use. I haven't used Charlie, but have seen some good reviews about him.

Oscar's sister Carol will be very prompt in returning an email to you.

Nadine,

Colleen,

Thanks for the prompt response. I have been reading about Charlie Soto, and even came across one post that said Charlie and Oscar might be cousins. Great! I will probably send an email to Charlie and see what's available to us in March.

Thanks again!

Pam

Archived