Canada/New England Honeymoon Cruise

NapTown Jim

Hi all. I'm a fresh fish here. I've never taken a cruise before and when I asked my fiance what sort of honeymoon she might be interested in she mentioned a cruise. I did some looking around on the net and thought Holland America's Canada/New England Cruise looked neat and since I love Montreal I had to go for it.

So...anyway...my question is this...has anyone taken the Maasdam from Montreal to Boston? Thoughts, suggestions of doos and don'ts for a guy who has never cruised before? Are we taking too much of a risk for weather in Canada in mid-may? (the cruise leaves Montreal on May 13)

We're already booked and all set to go so there's no pulling out if there's alot of negative waves about this.

Thanks in advance

JD

We have lived in Boston all our lives and have taken dozens and dozens of cruises. We had never cruised the Canada/New England itinerary until two years ago. It was so wonderful and we enjoyed it so much, that we booked for last summer to do back-to-backs. We embarked in Boston, stayed aboard and did the return cruise back to Boston.

Those cruises were so great that we are booked to do the exact same thing for next summer.

As to weather in May, there is no way to be absolutely sure but the odds are very strong the temperatures will be in the low sixties. No way to tell about rain. It is not impossible you could get warmer weather but don't count on it. You'll be pleasantly surprised if that happens.

A cruise is a fabulous honeymoon and Maasdam is a beautiful, well cared for ship. We've cruised on her many,many times and I call her "My" Maasdam but I am willing to share. :)

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage and loads of good luck.

If you have any specific questions, ask away and we'll try to help.

Welcome to the Board.

May is a lovely month. It can be a bit coolish especially on the water. Unfortunately some days can be sunny and warm but then it drops and becomes cool and wet. So I recommend a spring jacket. Too early in the year for shorts. Montreal will probably be a bit warmer than the Maritime provinces but if the sun is out then you should have a lovely trip.

Bottom line, think of the exciting destinations and just be prepared for a combination of nice sunny days and cold rain.

I'm envious because this is one of the cruises I have yet to take and would love to.

We did the Maasdam from Montreal to Boston last May and loved it. :) There is incredible diversity - from the time you leave French speaking Montreal sailing down the St. Lawrence - so close to the small towns alonside the river -to historic Quebec City. Get up early and watch as you pass under the Confederation Bridge. Be sure to visit the provincial parliament in Charlottetown and sit in the visitors' gallery. In Sydney, see the coal mines of Cape Breton or rent a car and take a mini Cabot trail tour. Be prepared to be bagpiped into Halifax. Take a trip to Peggy's Cove. Bar Harbour - really neat - have some chocolate flavoured blueberries! And Boston - nab yourself a Priceline hotel and stay an extra day. In all the ports we found delightful welcoming people who brought warmth to our trip. May? Weather-schmether... if it's a really horrible day, go see one of the first run movies showing on board. Or, pack an warm coat and have get out and have fun. The so-called "seniors" who are rumoured to travel on the Maasdam will leave you in their wake. It's all a matter of attitude - and you seem to have a good one already!

Thanks for your input guys. I'm really stoked about this trip. I see the Maasdam is scheduled for a refit in the spring of '06. Anybody have a clue exactly when like a date or something other than a nebulous "spring"? I'm just wondering if it will be complete before we board in mid-May.

Archived