How ready is Old San Juan for tourist fun?

Di+Bob

We’ll be staying in Old San Juan October 13 to 15. I seem to have a room secured there, fingers crossed. Now I’m wondering what is open to do during our stay? Are the forts, museums, and tourist attractions open? Is the free trolley running? Are there plenty of restaurants and bars open in Old Town? Are musicians playing and has any fun returned? Forgive me for asking about fun; I'm very aware of much suffering still going on, but the Puerto Rico people need the money us tourist will bring and that's one way we can help.

I hope not, but based on some brief conversations with a few Airbnb hosts, it appears to me much if not all of Old San Juan is still without power and what businesses are open may only be running on generators. Sounds noisy. Can anyone tell us what to expect in Old San Juan?

Old San has withstood 500+ years of hurricanes, wars, earthquakes, etc. and it is still there. These days you might not find as much shade as you used to because of defoliation by the hurricane, but it is an opportunity to see the old city in all its resiliency. As far as businesses being open and what not, everyone is trying to get back in business ASAP and your visit will be most welcomed.

From what was posted by those on the 10/7 cruise, most of Old San Juan was dark at night, with just a few lights here and there.

We were supposed to say in OSJ the end of this month at Casablanca. When I heard from them, they are up and running, but with a generator. My guess is that anything open in OSJ will also be running on a generator.

Another person posted somewhere on these boards that Da House (also in OSJ) sustained damage and hoped to reopen this weekend. People looking on airbnd and homeaway have posted that there are rooms/apartments/condos available with running water, but no power.

I would contact your hotel to see what's up and running around them for food/entertainment.

From what I've heard from my hotel, there is only power from generators. They are expected to have power restored within the next 2 weeks. However, there are many restaurants starting to reopen. They are still cleaning up the forts and the Bacardi remains closed. Again, probably another couple weeks before those open.

We’ll be staying in Old San Juan October 13 to 15. I seem to have a room secured there, fingers crossed. Now I’m wondering what is open to do during our stay? Are the forts, museums, and tourist attractions open? Is the free trolley running? Are there plenty of restaurants and bars open in Old Town? Are musicians playing and has any fun returned? Forgive me for asking about fun; I'm very aware of much suffering still going on, but the Puerto Rico people need the money us tourist will bring and that's one way we can help.

I hope not, but based on some brief conversations with a few Airbnb hosts, it appears to me much if not all of Old San Juan is still without power and what businesses are open may only be running on generators. Sounds noisy. Can anyone tell us what to expect in Old San Juan?

We fly in on the 12th and hoping our room is secured at the Comfort Inn in Condado. We were originally booked at Da'House and while they had hoped to be open by Oct 4, they let me know this morning that they are still not open and won't be for our reservation (Oct 12-14). I have been trying to contact the Comfort Inn to confirm, but cannot get through. I was able to get through and confirm our rental car. Hopefully before we leave, I can confirm with them. I love Old San Juan and was really hopeful to be able to stay there but at this point, I am jsut hoping our reservations stick, I know the hotel is open, just not if our reservation will be honored (I called and they said to call back in an hour due to power loss, can't get a hold of them again). Air BbB will be on my radar...I may be paying for in flight wifi lol

Good luck- we had reservations for November at two different hotels- both cancelled. Had to reschedule a flight on day of disembarkation to Fort Lauderdale. Staying there 3 nights instead. Then we will fly home to Chicago.

Glad to get out of San Juan. The place is overrun with FEMA workers all taking up any hotel space that is available.

I reached out to several tour companies in OSJ trying to set something fun up for this Saturday and only one was able to reply. Based on this, it seems nothing tour wise is operating. Here is what I heard from the one walking tour operator that was able to reply: "Puerto Rico is still under great devastation so there will not be any food tours going forward until further notice. When the island is up and running better and there is reliable communication we will reach out to you on behalf of San Juan Food Tours regarding your booking and what the options are going forward. Meanwhile, there will be no tours taking place until further notice. We greatly appreciate your patience in this matter."

Talking to my Hotel in OSJ by phone, they believe nobody in OSJ has power yet and any business that is open is running on a generator. He said there are good restaurants open in OSJ so eating will not be a problem. More restaurants are open during the day however than at night he said.

Have you checked Flavors food tours? I sent a message to them yesterday and they said they are contracted to operate with some cruiselines this month. They said they won't be fully operating until Nov when communication should be better on the island.

The Museo de Arte de Ponce - Art museum is open. Address is 2325 Expreso Luis A. Ferré, Ponce, 00717, Puerto Rico. They posted it on their own page.

Starbucks in Condado is open but only accepting cash

Marriott Stelleris is open but booked solid however they are offering day passes to those that wish to use the beach and chairs

We have a pre-paid reservation for there on December 2nd. Would love to hear how your stay goes.

-Michele

It was great, this was our second time staying there. They had a generator that they turned off from 11am to 5pm. They Had had power restore and then lost it again so I imagine by the time you stay, it will be restored again, may even be now. Great location, great hotel.