Birth Certificate Issue

Jthomasou

Doesn't matter what the State Department thinks. If the cruise line wants an unexpired passport, an expired passport will not be accepted.

So glad it worked out. Thanks for the update. Have a great cruise.

As I said, I would rather show up with that than with nothing at all. The DHS regulations require passengers on closed loop cruises to present a document or documents that prove citizenship and identity. An unexpired passport meets that requirement as a stand alone document. While an expired passport is not mentioned in the list of acceptable documents to prove citizenship it still does prove citizenship and I believe there is a possibility it would be accepted when coupled with an unexpired photo ID in a pinch. Fortunately the birth certificate was obtained so the discussion is moot.

Unless something has recently changed here in South Carolina we would have to drive to our capital to get a copy, at least of the long form, and then only during business hours, with roughly a 2 hour wait. (at least that is what happened when we found out we needed the long form for my son years ago for another matter)

Regardless WHY is a photocopy of a birth certificate, which could be easily forged, allowed but an expired passport is not? Makes no sense.

I am diligent about my passport and now we in South Carolina will not even be able to fly or enter federal buildings without one because our Drivers Licenses are not RealID certified. I don’t even have a copy of my birth certificate anymore. My parents lost it when I was young but since I already had a passport they never bothered to replace it. And it’s from Massachusetts so I have no idea how easy or expensive it would be to get...

A birth certificate isn't that easy to forge, not that would pass inspection by a professional, but even if it were during the cruise all passengers are vetted by CBP through a multitude of databases, including birth registries if necessary, which would show that a birth certificate for that person is not on file. CBP would then have some questions for that individual when the ship returned. (And remember CBP doesn't care about who is leaving the country so at point of departure it's not a question, they only care that who is coming into the country is who they say they are and are citizens of the country they claim.) (You should be able to go to the Massachusetts government website and quickly find info on how to get a birth certificate and you should do so because as this thread shows it's a good back up to have if something happens to your passport. I have read of people losing their passport on the way to the port and their faxed birth certificate saved their cruise.)

Since you would know if you are going to be renewing your passport, then why even bother "rushing" into "filling it out"?

Not sure why you assume we were "rushing" into "filling it out" - it being online-checkin. :confused:

Cruising is our hobby. It's not a chore to us to fill it out - or to make any changes once it's filled in. Passport is good for 10 years and the CC we use for traveling we've had since 1976 so it's probably not going to change either.

It's personal preference whether one is the type to fill out online check-in as soon as they get a booking number, or wait until right after final payment or close to the sailing date.:)