First Alaska Cruise

mom j

We are planning our first Alaskan cruise this year. We plan a cruise/tour package. Please advise the best and worst month to visit. The best and worst ship to consider.

What about flying to Seattle and driving to Vancover? Is it worth the effort? Has anyone do this or any other plans that would be exciting. We would like to see as much of the Pacific coast and Alaska as possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We are planning our first Alaskan cruise this year. We plan a cruise/tour package. Please advise the best and worst month to visit. The best and worst ship to consider.

What about flying to Seattle and driving to Vancover? Is it worth the effort? Has anyone do this or any other plans that would be exciting. We would like to see as much of the Pacific coast and Alaska as possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think your question is too vague at this point. How many days are you planning to invest in your vacation? Do you want to cruise one-way or round trip? Is your focus on wildlife viewing, glacier viewing, adventure, or just sight-seeing? What is your age demographic? Are you taking children?

By adding this information to your post, you'll get plenty of replies with suggestions.

Have a great time planning your cruise/tour. It's fun!

Sam

Hi, I only had the one Alaska cruise, actually my only cruise ever and I went on Radisson Seven Seas Mariner, round trip vancouver. I stayed at the Pan Pacific in Vancouver and I highly recommend the hotel.

My one recommendation is if you plan on being in Vancouver, take time to visit the city. I was amazed at what a nice city it was and the aquarium was wonderful amd I am happy that I spent time visiting Vancouver.

Alaska is amazing, really wonderful but there are people better qualifed to answer your other questions than I am who have spent more time there than I did and who have taken more cruises than I have.

I can tell you that I wrestled with the idea of flying into Seattle and taking bus into Vancouver... after doing the research I found that the airfare was quite a bit less into Seattle, but when you consider it's like 5 hours on a bus into Vancouver, you'd have to arrive the day before your cruise, and hastle the transfer... I decided just to fly into Vancouver, we are staying at the Sheraton Wall Centre, not far from the peirs. We decided on RCI round trip from Vancouver, the Serenade. This class of ship has lots of glass, the elevator bank is entirely glass looking out to sea on the port side...just do your homework and decide what your priorities are (ports of call, time in ports, how much you want to budget for excursions, ect.) ...it tends to be a bit less $$$ in May and September, May more snow, Sept. less daylight, each decision has pros and cons...good luck, and happy sailing....:)

Since it sounds like you are just begining your search, I will hopefully offer you some direction. :) For me, the ship is one of the last choices. Instead you may want to consider several factors, then find a line that does that sailing?

You may want to consider, routing, glaicer- with Glacier Bay my top pick, ports, time in ports, ship naturalist, cost be certain to budget fully for costly excursions, you get only half a trip without them.

For one way cruises, College Fjords is a must for me, and Seward. You are greatly limiting yourself if you go on a cruise tour. Group point to point touring in Alaska is less than ideal. If at all of interest, it is extremely simple to go on your own for a superior experience. With your priority of wildlife you will need an included Tundra Wilderness tour of Denali Park included, but this is less than my recommended distance in which is Fish Creek via Shuttle.

Spend some time and read back on this board. Plenty of excellent first hand accurate information.

As for Seattle/Vancouver, I do the drive all the time, very very simple and an extra night is recommended anyway in my opinion if you are coming from a distance. I most often stay overnight in Bellingham Wa. then it's just an hour+ drive to Vancouver with an early start.

And definately Vancouver is worthwhile to see and add a few days if possible. :) Plenty of options to think about.

Archived