1st timer to alaska on the Ryndam(HAL)

tcj

so far we are booked on hal may 7th on the ryndam. has anyone been on this ship? i think i could still change it if this is not the best one. we are doing roundtrip vancouver with stops in juneau,skagway and ketchikan. we are really fit, active and adventurous. i am learning so much by reading all the posts but fear i have booked the wrong ship. any input at all would be truly appreciated.

tcj

Wondering why you think you have not chosen the right ship????

Personally, we went to Alaska for what was outside the ship and thought of the ship as my floating hotel.The ship itself wasn't all that important. The itinerary was our priority. Consider the ports and the length of time in ports.

I understand HA is a very good line for Alaska. They have naturalists onboard and are a little more upscale than the other mass market ships.

If you chose Cruise West I think that would be a totally different experience but much more $$$$. Sure wish I could afford it.

Maybe if you tell us what your concerns are we can be more help.

HAL does a wonderful job in Alaska, does this sailing go to Glacier Bay, would be a consideration perhaps. If you are open to change, there are a few round trip Vancouver HAL ships that go to both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm, which is one of the best itineraries sailing Alaska in my opinion.

If you are happy with what you got, go with it. AND have a great time. :)

why worry while your sailing? i just took a hard look at the ryndam and it looks great. although i have never been on a cruise before i can tell it is not like other kinds of vacations and i can't wait. i think it is a bit overwhelming as this trip was a gift and i know nothing about cruising or alaska but lucky i have a bro-in-law who knows plenty and gave me this site(lucky me):)

happy sailing

tcj

I've been on the Ryndam and really liked it. HAL is my favorite line and much prefer it to Princess. The itinerary would be the main consideration. The Ryndam did go to Glacier Bay last year, but I'm not sure if that is the case this year.

Archived