NOLA-port arrival time? Input requested

TandTinHou

Hello everyone;

We are preparing for our first Carnival cruise and our first cruise out of NOLA. Since we live less than 10 minutes from the port, I'm curious as to when you think we should "arrive". We will be travelling with our 2 year-old daughter. For previous cruises, we always wanted to get to the terminal "bright and early"...but not sure that's the best idea since we have a toddler, and we are in the comfort of our own home! What time would you guys suggest? Thanks!

Hello everyone;

We are preparing for our first Carnival cruise and our first cruise out of NOLA. Since we live less than 10 minutes from the port, I'm curious as to when you think we should "arrive". We will be travelling with our 2 year-old daughter. For previous cruises, we always wanted to get to the terminal "bright and early"...but not sure that's the best idea since we have a toddler, and we are in the comfort of our own home! What time would you guys suggest? Thanks!

When we did our on line checkin, entering our passport numbers, etc, etc, we were required to select a boarding time. As far as I know, boarding times are now set - one just doesn't show up. But it might be different if you live there, but I cannot imagine why. I also think CCL has some program where you can pay additional money to get some sort of priority boarding....not sure of that either, but I think it's called FTTF or something similar. We've always just shown up for our NCL and CCL cruises from NOLA, so this (Nov 2017) will be our first experience with a pre-defined boarding time. We're driving down from Memphis and selected a 1230-1300 boarding time.

In the past we've shown up for NCL and CCL cruises around 1300 and pretty much got right on the ship. I don't recall waiting much if at all.

Be sure you choose a check-in time when you fill out your online check-in. You'll need to arrive at the terminal at that time or after or you most likely will be turned away. That rule applies unless you have boarding priority privileges, such as being platinum or diamond, or unless you've purchased Faster to the Fun. Carnival is pretty strict about enforcing assigned check-in times.

From my experience, last year we chose 12:30 boarding time and pretty much went through customs, checked in , and got right on the ship about 1:00. This year we chose 10:30 boarding and had to stand in long lines to check in and then sit until we were called. Didn't get on the ship until 12:00.

You have to choose a check in time. Since you live close and have a toddler, I would pick something from about 1:00 or after. That way by the time you board the ship, your cabin will be ready so you can drop off anything you're carrying on.

From my experience, last year we chose 12:30 boarding time and pretty much went through customs, checked in , and got right on the ship about 1:00. This year we chose 10:30 boarding and had to stand in long lines to check in and then sit until we were called. Didn't get on the ship until 12:00.

This has been my experience as well. If you want to eat lunch on Lido at 12, get there at 10:30. If you're OK with a later lunch, 12;30 or so will work.

Choose your check-in time to match your preference.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have a 1030 arrival time selected, but there are later ones available...I think we will opt to show up after 1230 or so...

I have 2 small children (2 and 5). I usually picked the arrive time around 12:30 pm so I don't have to wait long to get into the room. I know from the first cruise that my kids want to get into the water as soon as we get on the cruise but we usually cruise in December so that is not even an option.

I get there early because then I'm finished. I don't have to worry about a flat tire or wreck on 310. If I live 10 minutes away, I'd probably wait until 1, but I'm not sure that I could. I get too antsy!

Me too! However, we drive down from Memphis, and we're already getting up at 0230 to leave at 0400 for our 1230-1300 boarding! We're picking up friends on the way down, so I'm allowing 8 hours for the drive down from the time we leave their house. Not sure any of us could manage an earlier alarm clock setting. At least on this cruise there is the time change that morning; maybe that will trick the body into feeling a little less sleepy.

BTW, ya'll don't forget about the time change......I plan on setting my old manual alarm clock Saturday morning to the "fall back time"...I will also use my phone's alarm, which SHOULD reset automatically, but I am a belt and suspenders sorta guy. :o